The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET)

Admin_2

Does anyone else here trade Thai stocks? I've started to get into it this year, and am starting to enjoy it. I do mostly medium term trades, but have been doing a bit of day trading related to the Japanese crisis.

Anyway, I'd like to share a couple of medium term stocks that I really like so far (despite recent declines in share value).

AJ - a plastic packaging company, which opened at 25 baht per share this morning. They have really strong fundamentals, and had a high earnings report released last month. India also passed a law which banned a type of plastic packaging that AJ doesn't make. Should be a good year.

DEMCO - Opened at 4.68 baht per share this morning. I see up to 100% returns on this one with risk around -25%. I bought into them in January as they have been recently awarded with multi-billion baht wind and solar energy projects, and are working on a few more large ones as well. On top of that, the Japanese disaster will hopefully give the Thai govt. a knee jerk reaction into approving more of these safe energy projects.

Other interesting stocks are PTT, KBANK, MAJOR, THAI

No, I don't have anything to do with these companies, and don't go investing your life savings in these since I'm no expert. I really just wanted to see if there is anyone else on here playing in the SET.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

At break, AJ is up a whopping 19.8%. Partly because northeastern Japan needs the plastic products they make for food. Also because they have been seriously undervalued.

The next big one that I think is ready to explode is DEMCO, which is down slightly at 4.56. They have been granted a lot of huge wind projects in Thailand, and will be the ones building the 3G towers once 3G inevitably gets the go ahead.

Is there really no one else here that invests in the SET?

Used to follow the SET and investing my Thai ex BF's money (and a few bath of my own) during the late 80 and early 90. Still got some peanuts in TG stock, got them for 60bth/share in the year of the king (or maybe the queen, can't remember) turned 60 years old. I knocked all of my piggy banks and my ex bf's down for that. After sometime Thai stock market went down, and so my piggy banks hurt. lol..and TG share still there...and I will take it with me to my graveyard.

I can see a brighter shade from investing money in gold and I won't die from a heart attack... watching gold price growing..from bth 4000+ to 7000+ to 10000+ and this year is 20000+ for 15.16 gram. .. slow but sure.

• 1 year later...

DEMCO - Opened at 4.68 baht per share this morning. I see up to 100% returns on this one with risk around -25%. I bought into them in January as they have been recently awarded with multi-billion baht wind and solar energy projects, and are working on a few more large ones as well. On top of that, the Japanese disaster will hopefully give the Thai govt. a knee jerk reaction into approving more of these safe energy projects.

Holy poopola, DEMCO is taking off. KIM ENG finally got word of how awesome this company is, and it's up to 5.15 now, gaining 15% today alone! I had half my Thai portfolio on this company, and good things are coming after buying this stock over the last year. Yeah!!

I expect it to hit 6.5 before selling.

I tried to sell EB on this last year...he took his money to some Penthouse show and got the clap instead. I mean he took his pants off and they all started clapping.

• 9 months later...
Holy poopola, DEMCO is taking off. KIM ENG finally got word of how awesome this company is, and it's up to 5.15 now, gaining 15% today alone! I had half my Thai portfolio on this company, and good things are coming after buying this stock over the last year. Yeah!!

I expect it to hit 6.5 before selling.

I tried to sell EB on this last year...he took his money to some Penthouse show and got the clap instead. I mean he took his pants off and they all started clapping.

So my target price of DEMCO back then was 6 baht. I ended up riding it to 18 baht, selling at 10 and rebuying at 11.5, and it's at 18.3 right now...a whopping 400% gain. No doubt that that green energy stock changed people's lives.

There is a new IPO coming out that I will jump on. You actually have to bring cash to BBL on March 29th to buy it, and can't buy it online. It's a new BTS infrastructure fund opening around 10.4 baht per share. I think it's a safe place to park some cash as the SET is overheating.

BTSGIF

Final Thai stock pick for me is QTC (7.00). It's another energy company well-placed with ASEAN's need for more sources of energy. It's already seen a 100% gain in the past year, but I'm holding on until 9 or 10 baht.

• 7 months later...
how does a foreigner put money into the SET? what's the most convenient way/most secure way/actual nutsanbolts of getting it done?

I use Bualuang. Just go into their office with your passport, and they will sit you down with an English speaking broker to review everything before signing. You can deposit and withdraw via Bangkok Bank since its the same company.

The review and sign up process takes between 30-60 minutes. Then it takes about 2 weeks (give or take) for your account to be approved before you can deposit and begin trading.