Dropping the F-Bomb in Thai

MiiOoan

How can I say "sex" in Thai without being too offensive?

I tried to get funny in one of my comments, and I used some "forbidden" Thai. Fortunately, I ran it by a friend, who vetoed it, saying that what I said was too rude and not a bit funny. I trust her opinion.

Leads me to the question: is there a non-offensive phrase for sex in Thai? In English, there are thousands. (Example: screw, bump uglies, knock boots, etc. etc.) In Korean, people are "pounding rice cakes."

FYI, the Thai phrase I used is literally "take" and "together." อืมมมมมม.....

Thais that aren't very conservative will be able to help you more than iCan, but the most relevant point I can make is that Thailand is still an incredibly conservative country. Talking/joking about sex is still very taboo. Thus, it's pretty hard to make any joke about sex that isn't seen as childish or dirty. The jokes about sex usually revolve more around relationships and the underlying issues such as having gigs, mia nois, or "two trains crashing together."

Talking / Joking about sex is taboo for Thai? That's funny lol. It's same idea as Thais no nothing about Sarcastic.

If you are fluent in Thai language you will understand more.

Unfortunettly, you guys judge us cuz you don't know us well enough, you don't understand completely why we laugh, what we talk about, how we play with wording, sometime between Thai and English language can make a super joke.

Anyway, new street vocab were born every month and every year.

Nowaday, if you say "SUM" to young ppl they will know it means "having sex"

SUM kun ru young = Did you guys have sex?

Edited by Chatty

Talking / Joking about sex is taboo for Thai? That's funny lol. It's same idea as Thais no nothing about Sarcastic.

If you are fluent in Thai language you will understand more.

Of course it's taboo for Thais...when compared with the west. Our dirty western culture is spreading over here, but the Thais are A LOT more conservative about this subject than those in the USA.

How can I say "sex" in Thai without being too offensive?

I tried to get funny in one of my comments, and I used some "forbidden" Thai. Fortunately, I ran it by a friend, who vetoed it, saying that what I said was too rude and not a bit funny. I trust her opinion.

Leads me to the question: is there a non-offensive phrase for sex in Thai? In English, there are thousands. (Example: screw, bump uglies, knock boots, etc. etc.) In Korean, people are "pounding rice cakes."

FYI, the Thai phrase I used is literally "take" and "together." อืมมมมมม.....

Perhaps the least offensive word you could use for it would be เยส.

Such as "เยสเก่งบอ" : "are you good in bed?"

This phrase is especially appropriate for a 'hi-so' woman raised in Bangkok.

(forgive the spelling mistakes)

Perhaps the least offensive word you could use for it would be เยส.

Such as "เยสเก่งบอ" : "are you good in bed?"

This phrase is especially appropriate for a 'hi-so' woman raised in Bangkok.

(forgive the spelling mistakes)

As an educated Thai woman, (but not hi-so) I think you will get slap when you tell her that.

Of course it's taboo for Thais...when compared with the west. Our dirty western culture is spreading over here, but the Thais are A LOT more conservative about this subject than those in the USA.

If you compare with USA. yes.

but in Thai isn't that TABOO ... you might here our country songs / folk songs have many dirty naughty words, talking naughty is our culture. You just don't know about word they use, meaning underneath.

I had a Thai tour guide tell me a joke -- I have no idea how it goes in Thai, but you'll get the idea.

Q: What's the difference between people and trees?

Trees fall after you chop them. People fall down then chop.

The operative word was chop, but I can't remember. Any Thai speakers able to replicate this?

@miiooan, if u can read the following thai statement, i think u may got that dirty joke;

q: ต้นไม้กับคนมันต่างกันไงอะ?

A: ก็มันต่างกันที่ ต้นไม้จะล้ม เมื่อคุณ ฟันมัน (ทำให้ขาดเป็นสองท่อน) แต่ คนล้มแล้ว ถึงจะฟัน(มีเพศสัมพันธ์)

ในภาษาไทยคำว่าฟันมีหลายความหมาย เช่น ทำให้ขาดเป็นสองท่อน( เช่น ฟันคอ หรือ ฟันต้นไม้) หรือ teeth หรือ การได้เสัียกัน (sLANG)

If you compare with USA. yes.

but in Thai isn't that TABOO ... you might here our country songs / folk songs have many dirty naughty words, talking naughty is our culture. You just don't know about word they use, meaning underneath.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

The guy who asked the question is...get this...a westerner! I gave him a reference as he is not Thai. If you asked the same question, I wouldn't tell you about the difference of dropping the F-bomb in Thailand vs. the USA because it's not relevant to you. You are Thai... To him, it's relevant.

You don't understand the way we feel when we drop the F-bomb, because there is a true, deeper meaning that you could never understand ja (sarcasm). If sex talk was looked at in the US the way the Thais look at it, it would most certainly be considered a TABOO subject to us. So thanks for letting us know that you know more about Thailand than us, but you're missing the point since you've never actually lived in the USA.

;)

The guy who asked the question is...get this...a westerner! I gave him a reference as he is not Thai. If you asked the same question, I wouldn't tell you about the difference of dropping the F-bomb in Thailand vs. the USA because it's not relevant to you. You are Thai... To him, it's relevant.

You don't understand the way we feel when we drop the F-bomb, because there is a true, deeper meaning that you could never understand ja (sarcasm). If sex talk was looked at in the US the way the Thais look at it, it would most certainly be considered a TABOO subject to us. So thanks for letting us know that you know more about Thailand than us, but you're missing the point since you've never actually lived in the USA.

;)

U S A! U S A! U S A! U S A! U S A! U S A! U S A! U S A!

Edit:

Also,

try_and_stop_us.jpg

(hotlinked)

Edited by hyper223

;)

OK SORRY then I should keep my mouth shut...

• 3 weeks later...

I may very well be wrong; however, the Thai word for teeth "fun", is also slang for sex. Great for double entendre. As such, I have occasionally joked with my female friends about somebody not being my girlfriend/their boyfriend, they're just for fun. Granted, this was told to me by one of my more immature Thai friends, so these friends that laugh may just be laughing in awkwardness.

Positive point though: I haven't been slapped.....yet.

• 10 months later...