Unreasonable Price

Chatty

Question

After I think I'm getting recover from flu I went to Central Rattanathibate to pay my bills. I found that they have "Nonthaburi Durian Festival" I heard that Nonthaburi durian is the most delicious in Thailand and pricy ones but I didn't know it's that expensive.... The chepest price I have seen is 790 baht / KG.

and the ones in this photo surprise me... 3000 baht and another one in Thai number is 4,999 baht.

I'm searching why it's that expensive, I can't find the proper reason... but believe me I won't spend my 4,999 baht to find out how it taste.

228201_10150181741199592_668359591_6908866_3303242_n.jpg

Have you ever seen something you can't find any reason why that thing is so pricy, expensive like this?

Edited by Chatty

13 answers to this question

The higher the price, the better is MUST be, right?!

Many years ago when I worked on software for doctors with private practices back home in Sweden, we couldn't set the price as low and by boss had at first intended; no one would take us seriously and it was very difficult to get anyone to even have a look at it. Got significantly more interest when the price was adjusted upwards. Crazy world we're living in, innit?! :)

As I know 'Nonthaburi durian' is rare to find and less plant in this province. The demand to taste it is always more than the supply. Its reputation among the rich people is the main reason making the price is so expensive. Even if my grandma is the local people of Nonthaburi, I've never tasted it in my life haha so I can't tell you how good and delicious of its taste ^_~

Surely if it is soo good and sooo rare, at 4999 THB a kilo more prople would cultivate it? This is Thailand, if there is a gap in the market, it is filled bloody quick!! Maybe it is a variety that is difficult to grow? There must be a reason ....

I heard many durian gardens in Nonthaburi were flood... That's why price is going up that high... Some garden got 15 good durians in the garden, some durian price is 10,000 - 20,000 baht. and they were sold out since they weren't grow up yet.

Moreover, most local people who are the gardener there sold there lands to the property company. The Real Estate at Nonthaburi is booming to construct a house. When I go back to visit my grandma at Nonthaburi, I can see a lot housing development project along the road. So now less gardener plants Nonthaburi Durian and there is a flood every year which the situation of new generation there doesn't want to be a gardener then I guess in the future, the price of this durian will increasing more and more.

@bCool - True that but good luck there are some gardeners like my aunt still plants banana, Gardenia jasmine, jasmine and flowering and ornamental plants. So you can drive deep to the middle of soi or road. My aunt's living in the same road of Kantana production house. At her area, it seems she's living in the different world ^^. Still use water from canal and rain.

I wont buy this smelly fruit even it cost only Ten Baht!

NOOOO! did u ever eat it? it is gorgeous ...

as some famous old traveler put it, it is like eating "strawberrys that were grown in the Paris sewers in summer", or words to that effect. when I smell it I cringe, but put it in your mouth and its OK, even lovely. Like some other things in life ...

There was a farmer selling fresh durian on our soi today, so I bought one for bt120, and gave it to the building guards as a bonus. They were very happy with it, and finished it all in less than 30 minutes. I did not want any of it, and they laughed about that. I feel that it is good to keep the guards happy with little treats like that for them. None of them had ever tried the Nontaburi durian though, so they couldn't explain the difference. They said this one was very good though. It had a pretty strong smell for me, and I was happy to let them eat it all.

@koolbreez - Oh you're so kind and I bet the guard must always please to help you as for Thai people, durian is the high level of fruit. And sure Nonthaburi Durian is only for rich people. Well why don't you try durian and you may love its taste haha.

Among all fruits. Fruit has been praised as. "king of fruits" is the "Durian" With all the appearance of a crown of thorns like the king and beef in a delicious flavor that is hard to find compared to other fruits. Among all the fruit, fruit that has been praised as. "queen of fruits" is "mangosteen" With the appearance of the calyx attached that similar results were the crown of the Queen and the flesh is white, clean and sweet taste. Delicious and hard to find compared to other fruits as well.

From http://guru.google.co.th/guru/thread?tid=48bdbdfc3ef475db