Work Permit

Reinlove

I was previously assigned in Singapore before the company have transferred me here in Bangkok. My 3 months Category B non-immigrant visa will expire next month and yet they haven't applied for my work permit. So to speak I need to go for a visa run.

I ask them and they told me that they are going to have some problem acquiring a permit for us foreigners. I don't want to stay here illegally coz' from the previous job they assigned me they got us a working permit/visas.

Currently, there are 8 of us foreigners and 1 local here in the company. As per the ratio of workers that Thailand requires 1 foreigner = 4 locals. So you see our problem here.

Our company is US based one. Does anyone here how the Thailand system works on how to get us a working permit? Any form of recommendations would be welcome. I don't want to stay illegally here.

To the Administrators, please move if this is not the proper thread for it. Many Thanks.

Cheers,

Reinlove

May want to have a little look at this

http://www.thaivisa.com/288.0.html

On the visa side of things, you'll have to do a visa which can be done pretty cheaply depending if you need just a stamp or if you need a whole new visa it's not too bank breaking either. But if you need a new visa then you will be away for a couple of days. Mention this to your company as I'm sure they won't want this to happen and it may get them to pull their fingers out.

You're already illegal here. If you're working in the Kingdom without a work permit you are in violation of the terms of your current visa. I'm not calling you out or anything just saying that if your intent is to be completely legal you should be aware of the fact that you need a work permit BEFORE you start working.

It does not sound like the company itself is legal. Without them meeting the required number of Thai workers, you can not get a visa extension of stay let alone the required work permit.

You're going to be hard pressed to get a new Non-Immigrant B visa using that company as now they do not meet the requirements as a ligitimate company in Thailand. You need a work permit to work, but if you were doing something that didn't require a store front, or office there are ways to work illegally with little chance of being caught. There are many people that do it, but not with a non-immigrant visa. They get tourist visas repeatedly, or get an education visa. It does not sound like you will fall into this category though.

I would be tempted to blackmail the company into meeting the legal requirements to get you your work permit, then you would also get the right visa to be legal, but with only one month to go, you're pretty much screwed by them, and you never have been legal working in Thailand so it's not going to be easy to get your non-immigrant visa again.

I would be tempted to blackmail the company into meeting the legal requirements to get you your work permit, then you would also get the right visa to be legal, but with only one month to go, you're pretty much screwed by them, and you never have been legal working in Thailand so it's not going to be easy to get your non-immigrant visa again.

I wouldn't recommend blackmail. If I was the company and someone tried that on me I would close down the Bangkok office and make an anonymous call to the immigration cops on the employee with proof that they had been working illegally. :-)

Sorry to response just now. Base from what I read. I don't have a choice then rather than to leave my company who'm I've been working with for the past 4 years. I really don't want to stay here illegally. Well I don't know if there's any way around it. Thanks guys.

Sorry to response just now. Base from what I read. I don't have a choice then rather than to leave my company who'm I've been working with for the past 4 years. I really don't want to stay here illegally. Well I don't know if there's any way around it. Thanks guys.

i would talk it through with them before just quitting .... there's loads of ppl working here without a work permit, although obviously it is much better to have one and the correct visa !! see if they do intend to make u legit ... and when ??

also ... if Bill doesn't mind me saying so ... thaivisa.com usually does have good advice on visas and work permits

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/473613-working-legally-in-thailand-immigration-and-labour-department-talks/

i would talk it through with them before just quitting .... there's loads of ppl working here without a work permit, although obviously it is much better to have one and the correct visa !! see if they do intend to make u legit ... and when ??

This is good advice. Give them a chance to sort things out.

I just spoke to them a while ago. Here's the explanation they gave me. "They are looking onto it" [sic]. We are hoping that before December we can get this done.

well if they r a good enough company it's not that difficult to stay and work here until then ..... obviously it's not legal ... so u gotta weigh up the pros and cons and what other options u have got and make a decision based on that !!! good luck anyway !!

I just spoke to them a while ago. Here's the explanation they gave me. "They are looking onto it" [sic]. We are hoping that before December we can get this done.

They're jacking you around just like they've done all along. They will never be a ligitimate company, and you will never be able to work for them legally. Remember what they told you in your original post here. They only have one Thai employee. That is not enough for even one work permit. If it is a large company (meaning lots of money invested, not number of workers), then they probably have investment visas if they are legal. It is the only way they could be legal working in the country.

You should look into it also, and make sure they are doing what they tell you. You should at least see if they are paying their taxes.

If not, and you do decide to quit, then I would make sure they do become legal, or move back to a country you can legally work for them in. Remember they are screwing you over, and have been since you've been in Thailand. What are the other workers doing about their visas, and work permits?

Edited by koolbreez

If not, and you do decide to quit, then I would make sure they do become legal, or move back to a country you can legally work for them in. Remember they are screwing you over, and have been since you've been in Thailand. What are the other workers doing about their visas, and work permits?

Seriously, if they're telling you that they plan on getting legit by end of year then you should ask them why they even bothered to send you here in the first place. It's not like it would be hard to find out. The rules are pretty clear. So they basically opened an office in a foreign country and knowingly sent staff there to work illegally. Uhm . . . doesn't sound like the kind of outfit I would want to be working for if any problems came up. They'll cut and run on your ass and leave you holding the back in a heartbeat.

Simple solution. Tell them (along with your colleagues) that it is illegal to work here without a work permit, so therefore we cant work without it.

Once they realise they won't be getting any money from your team, they will get their asses into gear...Or they might fire you. Either way its a solution. lol

Hope it all works out for you though.