Thais are natural stoners

Admin_2

This came up at dinner this evening when someone asked why it was so hard to get good weed in Thailand.

When I say that Thais are natural stoners, I mean it in a good way. They are laid back, like to smile, and don't sweat the small stuff...natural stoners. They are already chilled out. I know that's not the reason why they don't legalize it, but I got into this dramatic monologue about how alcohol is worse than weed. If one should get legalized over the other, throw someone in jail for drinking and not for lighting up (of course I had a couple of beers by this point).

Stoners don't get in bar fights...the worst they would do is eat too much pizza that night or play too many video games. Driving under the influence? Stoners can't be bothered. Go rioting through the city because your team lost (or won) a big match? Stoner says, "can't we all just get along, man?"

The world needs a good collective puff of weed. And don't bring up that gateway drug malarky. Alcohol is by far worse than weed.

Should this have been a journal, or is there anyone out there who disagrees with me?

I'm all cheebahed up as we speak... lost my car key for two days, but it's not like I was going anywhere anyways. But totally agree, alcohol is way more destructive than weed. When was the last time you heard of a husband getting stoned and beating his wife?

What ever happened to the good old Thai Sticks of the 1970's? Used to be the best weed around. While in Vietnam we could get a pack of "Kools" for $5. All the tobacco was removed from the filtered cig and replaced with high quality weed. A pack would last a month or so. Nothing like goin on a mission with a few hits under your belt. Ah, the good old daze.

• 2 weeks later...
This came up at dinner this evening when someone asked why it was so hard to get good weed in Thailand.

When I say that Thais are natural stoners, I mean it in a good way. They are laid back, like to smile, and don't sweat the small stuff...natural stoners. They are already chilled out. I know that's not the reason why they don't legalize it, but I got into this dramatic monologue about how alcohol is worse than weed. If one should get legalized over the other, throw someone in jail for drinking and not for lighting up (of course I had a couple of beers by this point).

Stoners don't get in bar fights...the worst they would do is eat too much pizza that night or play too many video games. Driving under the influence? Stoners can't be bothered. Go rioting through the city because your team lost (or won) a big match? Stoner says, "can't we all just get along, man?"

The world needs a good collective puff of weed. And don't bring up that gateway drug malarky. Alcohol is by far worse than weed.

Should this have been a journal, or is there anyone out there who disagrees with me?

Stoners don't pay TAX all that well compared to their alcoholic counter parts,

Was thinking more along the lines that dope heads tend NOT to hold down jobs as well as alco's, imo

seriously !!! i would have thought it was the other way around as alco's r physically dependant on booze to get them through the day, whereas stoners (usually) can regulate their use ... ie. they don't NEED a joint, they don't crave a joint !!

Was thinking more along the lines that dope heads tend NOT to hold down jobs as well as alco's, imo

I would have to disagree with you Phil. I have worked on and off in the addictions field for over 20 years and it is very very rare to see marijuana use reach a dependency level where it affects employment, motivation etc as much as an alcohol dependency. That's not to say there are not total wasters out there who just sit and smoke dope all day, but they are a minority. The overwhelming majority of marijuana users use it in a recreational way; a couple of spliffs in the evening etc.

Chronic alcoholics can only function fully in an employment setting for a short period. When it gets to the stage of needing a couple of drinks to get going in the morning, there can be other dangers, especially when they have to drive to work or operate machinery at work. The common exception, work wise, is often the catering industry; drink seems to be an endemic part of this industry (in Western countries at least) especially with split shifts, late nights etc.

seriously !!! i would have thought it was the other way around as alco's r physically dependant on booze to get them through the day, whereas stoners (usually) can regulate their use ... ie. they don't NEED a joint, they don't crave a joint !!

Plenty of alco's that can wait till the end of the day for their fix, and probably more of them have better paying jobs and positions than stone heads who tend to lack motivation.

Yeah I agree that someone stoned would function better at work than someone drunk, but I'm saying there are many people who are alcoholics and wouldn't think of themselves in that way. In comparison, most stone heads know they have a problem,

Think of all the people who after a hard/stressful day's work need a few drinks to unwind. I guess cos alcohol being more socially acceptable (and legal), it tends to mask the reality of the addiction. Many alcoholics do go to work sober.

Plenty of alco's that can wait till the end of the day for their fix, and probably more of them have better paying jobs and positions than stone heads who tend to lack motivation.

Yeah I agree that someone stoned would function better at work than someone drunk, but I'm saying there are many people who are alcoholics and wouldn't think of themselves in that way. In comparison, most stone heads know they have a problem,

Think of all the people who after a hard/stressful day's work need a few drinks to unwind. I guess cos alcohol being more socially acceptable (and legal), it tends to mask the reality of the addiction. Many alcoholics do go to work sober.

there's a massive difference between someone having a few drinks after a stressful day"s work and an alco !! an alco needs booze, they crave it, they depend upon it to get then through the day.

generally pot users don't have that dependency .... they don't NEED a joint to get them through the day, they don't depend upon dope to function !!

Really depends what a FEW drinks means Phil. And I disagree totally that marijuana users tend to have lower paid job than people with potential alcohol dependency. I was at a dinner party a few months back where joints were 'served' with the post dinner brandy/liqueurs. There was a university lecturer, a hospital consultant and a pilot among the guests, and they were all partaking.

I think though you have hit the nail on the head with your comments about social acceptance. This ties in with how these drugs (since alcohol is a drug) are portrayed. We see the stereotype of the 'stoner' as an unmotivated waster, while the alcohol user can be anyone at all. This is a myth; there are many motivated and achieving marijuana users.

And even if the person is alcohol dependent and does NOT need a drink to start their day (which would be highly unusual is they were dependent) you have to consider what level of alcohol is in their system from the previous night and therefore still makes it dangerous (and possibly illegal) to drive or operate machinery

• 7 months later...

couldn't have said it any better myself.