The Irrelevant Thread

English_Bob

I can't believe how much more productive I am in the USA...and how much more productive the USA is for me. I took care of government papers, social security card, a new debit card, a changed credit card, AND had a stop in for lunch in 90 minutes.

All the while, a mattress and a refrigerator were delivered to my house. Miracle USA!

• 9 months later...
1983, a pod of orcas beached themselves off the west coast of Canada. They were quoted as saying that they were having a whale of a time...

The reason firehouses in the US have circular stairways is from the days when the fire engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and soon figured out how to walk up straight staircases

The fire pole was, a tradition in almost every fire department, it was invented in Chicago. The original purpose was to reduce the time it took firefighters to get from the second floor of firehouses (where firefighters lived and slept) down to the ground (where their equipment was). Nowadays, they are not used very often, but are usually still installed for tradition's sake.Fire houses were also equipped with spiral staircases so the horses would not try to climb the stairs into the living quarters Spiral staircases were difficult to descend and relatively slow when moving many men down to the wagons. The slide pole was a much more efficient way to move them quickly downstairs

Read more: Fire Houses and Fire Fighting http://www.weirdfacts.com/facts/3124-fire-houses-and-fire-fighting.html#ixzz20M92YQXv

The fire pole was, a tradition in almost every fire department, it was invented in Chicago. The original purpose was to reduce the time it took firefighters to get from the second floor of firehouses (where firefighters lived and slept) down to the ground (where their equipment was). Nowadays, they are not used very often, but are usually still installed for tradition's sake.Fire houses were also equipped with spiral staircases so the horses would not try to climb the stairs into the living quarters Spiral staircases were difficult to descend and relatively slow when moving many men down to the wagons. The slide pole was a much more efficient way to move them quickly downstairs

Read more: Fire Houses and Fire Fighting http://www.weirdfacts.com/facts/3124-fire-houses-and-fire-fighting.html#ixzz20M92YQXv

Stripper poles were originally a marketing effort by fire pole manufacturers to sell more poles.

I just made that up.