If the Clients say "Fu-k you" what the answer would be?

Chatty

noo.. leave the scene;

pass them (and explain the situation ) to your boss -- that is why they are there.

A client has no right to be an asshole to you

Why not? She didn't explain the circumstances. It's quite possible the person has every reason to be upset. Maybe it's not her fault but most pissed off customers don't care about who's fault it is. They're just venting.

Why not? She didn't explain the circumstances. It's quite possible the person has every reason to be upset. Maybe it's not her fault but most pissed off customers don't care about who's fault it is. They're just venting.

Good people should be considerate of other's needs, satisfaction as well. Everyone has rights to be upset but it doesn't mean they should curse the others in every situations. They should present themselves as ones who have good manners if not F*ck you then!

Bill ..of course anything is possible...maybe they didn't get an invite from the Queen...

(come 0n--- work with me here)

certainly ... in this country that kind of an unprofessional response would not be tolerated... or expected to be!

I had a table of four people arrive at the restaurant one night a couple of years ago.

The last guy arrived swigging from a big bottle of Chang.

I said to him, 'Would you mind finishing that outside?'

The guy said, 'What? In Bangkok?! No way.' Then he stormed out and up the road. His friend said, 'Ignore him. He's an a**hole.'

Then the guy shouted, '**** you!' from halfway up the soi.

I did two quick steps towards him, as though I was going to chase him. He panicked and dropped his Chang beer, smashing it on the road.

Made me laugh anyway.

I would reply, excuse me ? Did you just say something? I think he will just walk away but if he still say the same I will get back to him with "*^£€><~##%^+¥£€€^€>%>€*<{{~~|{}#%€€+^#}{}%>?>£<~|&((:"

I will walk away (and act professional) then make a report/memo to the boss. The client can be charged with abuse.

First off, let me say that I'm not suggesting anything about Neung here. This is on the bigger issue of being able to charge your customer with abuse. Saying "Fuck you" is not a crime in most countries. In fact, I can tell a police officer "Fuck you" and it's not a crime.

And also, I'm not proposing that you go around and be rude but I certainly have had my share of experience in Thailand where a mighty "Fuck you" was more than warranted.

What I'm getting that though is that you often find yourself in completely ubsurd situations in Thailand that you can't expect some first time visitor to the country or even a novice expat not to tell you to go fuck yourself. For instance, I booked a hotel room in Bangkok and went to check in and they told me that my room didn't have hot water. Okay, one or two nights until it's fixed won't kill me so I'm willing to put up with that but I ask "For how long." The lady replied that the hot water would be out my entire stay of 3 weeks!!

Okay, so back home that would have warranted "Are you fucking joking?" but I was calm and asked "So, do I get a discount off the normal room rate?" "No," she replied. Full price. "So wait a minute, you're giving me a room with no hot water at the same price as what you're charging your other guests who do have hot water?" "Yes," she replied again.

Again, that fully warrants a big fuck you. Because at this point they're basically calling you a fucking idiot.

So I said, "Well, that's unacceptable. I'll find another hotel."

"You can't. All hotels are booked up. Busy season."

Yet again, another reason to tell her to go fuck herself because it was in the middle of May during the low season. So to add insult to injury she's lying to me rather than trying to accomodate me and helping me find another hotel room.

I leave, walk 10 minutes up the street to another hotel I've regularly stayed at and was booked right in. They even sent a car back to the first hotel to pick up my luggage that I had left there.

Again, this has nothing to do with Chatty but the blanket statement that saying "fuck you" isn't acceptable in Thailand is hugely optimistic and naive. I never did say it to the girl but I think I would have been well within my rights.

Again, this has nothing to do with Chatty but the blanket statement that saying "**** you" isn't acceptable in Thailand is hugely optimistic and naive. I never did say it to the girl but I think I would have been well within my rights.

when i first came to asia (sri lanka is just as bad) i couldn't believe how poor the service was and used to lose my temper too ******* often !!! now i tend to be more chilled out and go with the flow .... i usually just reckon it's not worth getting myself stressed out about the situation as the person i'm balling out obviously couldn't give two fucks either way !!

however, sometimes someone manages to surprise me by reaching a level of incompetence/rudeness i thought impossible ... and then i have been known to have a quiet word or 3 in their ear !!

Should it be "I'm waiting for it"

or "Yes, please"

give them a big smile and say thank you . . and **** your whole family too :D lol I am just kidding ..

if I am in the situation .. i will give them a big smile and say thank you . . and leave the scene . . and yes for sure report this to the boss. :) but I will try my best to hide my anger even in front of the boss . . and then explode it later with friends :)

I think in this situation, without knowing more details, I would be inclined to not understand them, and ask them to please explain what that means. You could get away with being niave in a situation like that, and use it very effectively. On an even stronger note, ask them to excuse you for a minute while you get your boss, who has a better understanding of English, so he can explain what you mean, and might have more means to help them with the problem, if they have a problem, because you really don't know what they mean, and you do need your boss's help with English to understand them.

Putting them in a position to explain themselves, and continuing to not understand them can really get to them in the long run, and really piss them off, and in a way that you can not be blamed for anything. Without you understanding them, their expression has no effect, and that will piss them off real good. Asking to be excused so you can get your boss to explain what they mean could very easily shut them up completely. It is a good way to handle people that say that to you in a business situation.

First off, let me say that I'm not suggesting anything about Neung here. This is on the bigger issue of being able to charge your customer with abuse. Saying "**** you" is not a crime in most countries. In fact, I can tell a police officer "**** you" and it's not a crime.

And also, I'm not proposing that you go around and be rude but I certainly have had my share of experience in Thailand where a mighty "**** you" was more than warranted.

What I'm getting that though is that you often find yourself in completely ubsurd situations in Thailand that you can't expect some first time visitor to the country or even a novice expat not to tell you to go **** yourself. For instance, I booked a hotel room in Bangkok and went to check in and they told me that my room didn't have hot water. Okay, one or two nights until it's fixed won't kill me so I'm willing to put up with that but I ask "For how long." The lady replied that the hot water would be out my entire stay of 3 weeks!!

Okay, so back home that would have warranted "Are you ******* joking?" but I was calm and asked "So, do I get a discount off the normal room rate?" "No," she replied. Full price. "So wait a minute, you're giving me a room with no hot water at the same price as what you're charging your other guests who do have hot water?" "Yes," she replied again.

Again, that fully warrants a big **** you. Because at this point they're basically calling you a ******* idiot.

So I said, "Well, that's unacceptable. I'll find another hotel."

"You can't. All hotels are booked up. Busy season."

Yet again, another reason to tell her to go **** herself because it was in the middle of May during the low season. So to add insult to injury she's lying to me rather than trying to accomodate me and helping me find another hotel room.

I leave, walk 10 minutes up the street to another hotel I've regularly stayed at and was booked right in. They even sent a car back to the first hotel to pick up my luggage that I had left there.

Again, this has nothing to do with Chatty but the blanket statement that saying "**** you" isn't acceptable in Thailand is hugely optimistic and naive. I never did say it to the girl but I think I would have been well within my rights.

Just recently, there was a case in DK that a patience at emergency unit at a hospital got upset because long waiting time and he went too far by saying something abusive to nurses. He didn't get to see a doctor faster or slower by abusing nurses but the hospital can charge him with abuse. That's the way it is in DK.

Everybody here (I mean in DK) has insurance both private and from work related. If my client says "**** you" in my face with abusive behaviors, so yes I can charge him and I can get the insurance to pay for my mentality stress. All I have to do is fill in a report, and send it to the authority.

Edited by pandorea

I have to disagree with that - it very much depends on the location and circumstances of the situation.

I was flying back from work one time, transitting thru Dubai - emergency leave as my daughter was gravely ill, so to say I was a little stressed out was the understatement of the century. I got to the transit desk, with the BKK flight already called for boarding, and politely explained my situation to the lady on the desk to instill a sense of urgency in her; she proceeded to chat with her neighbour at the next desk, completely ignoring my request. After 5 minutes, and still no boarding pass in hand, I lost the plot and growled at her to "get a ******* move on, for fucks sake". She immediately picked up the phone and started prattling on in Arabic - two minutes later I'm being frog-marched down to the airport Police station where I spent the next 2 hours trying to explain myself and stay out of the cells.

Needless to say I missed my flight.

Now that might have happened in any airport in the world - getting stroppy with airport/airline staff these days is not a wise move by any stretch of the imagination. Insulting an Arab woman made it doubly bad, in the eyes of the local constabulary.

I have to disagree with that - it very much depends on the location and circumstances of the situation.

I was flying back from work one time, transitting thru Dubai - emergency leave as my daughter was gravely ill, so to say I was a little stressed out was the understatement of the century. I got to the transit desk, with the BKK flight already called for boarding, and politely explained my situation to the lady on the desk to instill a sense of urgency in her; she proceeded to chat with her neighbour at the next desk, completely ignoring my request. After 5 minutes, and still no boarding pass in hand, I lost the plot and growled at her to "get a fucking move on, for fucks sake". She immediately picked up the phone and started prattling on in Arabic - two minutes later I'm being frog-marched down to the airport Police station where I spent the next 2 hours trying to explain myself and stay out of the cells.

Needless to say I missed my flight.

Now that might have happened in any airport in the world - getting stroppy with airport/airline staff these days is not a wise move by any stretch of the imagination. Insulting an Arab woman made it doubly bad, in the eyes of the local constabulary.

Well, that's different because nowadays if you fart and the airport staff doesn't like it they can have you pulled off the plane and charged as a terrorist.

I'm talking (and I think Neung was as well) about your everyday "fuck you" in normal circumstances. Airport situations are a special category.

The other thing here is that many Thai people don't understand the word "fuck" as it's used by many native English speakers. It's natural for us to slip "fuck" into everyday conversation. I've had many Thais think I was being rude when doing so. For instance, "Tell him to fucking hurry up!" To me, that's no different than "Tell him to hurry up" unless I'm talking to someone's grandparents. If you're my age or younger then it's simply meant to emphasize the hurry up part. But many Thai people read that as being upset or even aggressive.

And Neung never really gave the context. For example, it could have been in this context:

Her: "And then she cut off his dick and fed it to a duck."

Him: Fuck you! Really?

And for everyone with the witty comebacks . . . I'm guessing you haven't tried them, have you?

Her: Sorry, even though you drove here from Korat for this appointment the doctor is banging his gik today and you'll have to return tomorrow. Would you like to book a new appointment for tomorrow?

Him: Fuck you.

Her: Thank you . . and fuck your whole family too.

Him: Right hook to the jaw.

Not only do you risk escalating the situation further by trying to be oh so cool but your response could get you fired. If you're in a customer facing position then part of what you're paid to do is to eat some shit from customers now and then.

You're free to bring it up to your boss. That's especially true if the person is a regular customer and is regularly rude. But trying to "win" the encounter by coming up with a witty, face saving comeback when I don't trust you to issue a 100 baht refund is going to make me think it might just be easier to replace you than the customer.

Well, that's different because nowadays if you fart and the airport staff doesn't like it they can have you pulled off the plane and charged as a terrorist.

To me, that's no different than "Tell him to hurry up" unless I'm talking to someone's grandparents. If you're my age or younger then it's simply meant to emphasize the hurry up part. But many Thai people read that as being upset or even aggressive.

Really Bill??? Really ??? If some used that so casually in normal conversation (in person)

-- I would think they have so little intelligence and manners that they have no other way to express themselves

...to which they would get some pity but no fast action.

If I thought it was truly directed at me they might find themselves laid out wondering what happened and looking skyward...

in any case they have just prioritized themselves to last place.

And if it was in a business situation...business just ceased

Edited by DANNO

Really Bill??? Really ??? If some use that so casually in normal conversation (in person)

-- I would think they have so little intelligence and manners that they have no other way to express themselves

If I thought it was truly directed at me they might find themselves laid out wondering what happened and looking skyward...

OK, maybe my airport faux pas was an example of a particular situation where one should never be rude - but given the circumstances I feel I was well within my right to be just a wee bit pissed off.

Agree with you though Danno - despite the word "****" becoming so commonplace in modern parlance (and beautifully illustrated by Iain in a recent post responding to Borebell) - there is no need, nor place for it in a "normal" conversation, and certainly not in a business environment.

Chatty, I would have told the guy that his foul language was uncalled for, and that you would be taking the matter up with your boss and his (the client) HR department. You should never have to put up with or allow abusive language or behaviour. Ever.

Really Bill??? Really ??? If some use that so casually in normal conversation (in person)

You've obviously never been in the military. Swearing becomes and art form.

I don't swear often. But having the skill to do it comes in handy.

People who automatically assume low intelligence or some other deficiency because of the use of profanity should really give a good hard thought about some of the brilliant people in history who were masters of swearing. Patton, most football coaches, several US presidents come to mind, comedians (Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, etc) . . . the list could keep going on and on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29681795/ns/health/t/recession-f-bombs-why-swearing-feels-great/