True or False: Ghosts

Admin_2

I know a lot of people, especially Thais, who believe in ghosts.

I personally don't believe in them because of two main reasons:

1.) I believe in science

2.) I don't believe in religion

I think religion plays a big part in people believing in ghosts. I also think that waaaay down deep inside a lot of this, it has something to do with a lack of education. I'm not saying those who believe in ghosts are stupid...far from it. My mother has a PhD and believes in ghosts. I know many brilliant people that believe in ghosts, but in the west it's usually the older generations that think they exist. My guess is that 99% of Thais believe in ghosts, and more than half of the western world believes in ghosts.

Randomly...like now...I find this amazing. Most ghost stories begin like this:

"I woke up and heard/felt something..." Moron...that's called a dream. You were half awake and scared yourself. I've done that before. I saw a ghost in my room once, but then realized that I had just woken up. Thus, it was a dream.

If I were to see a ghost after being awake for more than an hour, I'd believe in them.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this ghost stuff. Is it true? Is it because educated and stupid people watch too much TV? Have you ever seen a ghost yourself? Tell me your experiences.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this ghost stuff. Is it true? Is it because educated and stupid people watch too much TV? Have you ever seen a ghost yourself? Tell me your experiences.

i've seen some weird and wonderful things in my time while under the influence of various substances ...

but never seen a ghost and don't ever expect to see one !!!

I used to live in a small apartment in Birmingham UK...

One night I woke up because I could hear a noise in my room - it was a low, rasping groaning sound. I felt a weight on the end of the bed as though someone had sat down. I opened my eyes and at the foot of the bed was a window... silhouetted against the window was the profile figure of a seated man with his head down. I was petrified - in the real sense of the word - I really couldn't move. My arms and legs were paralysed, whether by fear or some supernatural power, I didn't know.

The noise had become louder and I was staring at this figure. I closed my eyes, tensed all my muscles and forced myself to explode out of the paralysis. I leapt for the light and switched it on - there was no-one there...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So then I went to the bathroom and washed my face with cold water. I made a cup of tea and calmed myself down. Then I went back into the room to work out what happened. I came to the following conclusions.

1) The low moaning sound was my own voice, but being asleep it sounded distant.

2) The figure at the end of the bed was simply the overlap of two dark curtains, pulled together too far.

3) The 'paralysis' was just the bed sheets that had wrapped tightly about my body and I couldn't move - and I guess the same applies to the 'weight' on the end of the bed.

After I had analysed the experience, I was able to sleep soundly. Years (decades!) later, I read about sleep paralysis which is sometimes known as 'the night terrors'.

Here's what Wiki says...

Sleep paralysis is paralysis associated with sleep that may occur in healthy persons or may be associated with narcolepsy, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations. The pathophysiology of this condition is closely related to the normal hypotonia that occurs during REM sleep.[1] When considered to be a disease, isolated sleep paralysis is classified as MeSH D020188.[2] Some evidence suggests that it can also, in some cases, be a symptom of migraine.[3][4]

There's a picture depicting it...

280px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

A weight on the bed? A dark figure? That's pretty much exactly how I felt.

A few years ago I had another episode with similar symptoms. But because I knew about the condition, not only did I find it less scary, but part of my consciousness was able to consider it an experience to be studied.

As a kid I really was interested in the paranormal and cryptozoology. However, after years of reading accounts and stories, I became jaded. The witnesses were always unreliable, the evidence sketchy and photographic evidence was always very poor quality. Now I'm a hard and fast cynic, which proves I am open-minded.

I made a cup of tea and calmed myself down.

I'm certain Brits think the solution to everything is Tea.

Had a night terror? Have a cuppa

Broke up with your partner? Go to a mates & the first thing they'll do is "put the kettle on"

Made redundant? Go to the nearest cafe & have "a builder's tea"

Someone died? Have "a cup of tea with extra sugar to help with the shock"

okay, back on topic........

I believe in ghosts. Have seen em, felt em, and not scared or worried about them. I think another dimension exists that we are not tuned into, and that it is inhabited by spiritual entities that are not of this world anymore. No way to prove this theory, just a life long experience with the para normal. Or, too much LSD in my youth. Or maybe I'm just fuckin crazy? What ever the case may be, I do believe in the para normal, Bigfoot, and ETs. And that your mind can play some nasty tricks on itself!!

• 4 weeks later...

I still carry vivid images of seeing something called a ghost when I was about 3-4 yrs nothing in the adulthood. I do not believe nor deny.I accept the fact that there is another dimesion which most of us are not tuned to. Still, even if we experience the paranormal we defy by finding scientific reasons to deny it probably to dispel the fear.No matter what? fear is f the unknown, Knowing that it doesn't exist gives us a better chance of survival.

• 4 weeks later...
I still carry vivid images of seeing something called a ghost when I was about 3-4 yrs nothing in the adulthood. I do not believe nor deny.I accept the fact that there is another dimesion which most of us are not tuned to. Still, even if we experience the paranormal we defy by finding scientific reasons to deny it probably to dispel the fear.No matter what? fear is f the unknown, Knowing that it doesn't exist gives us a better chance of survival.

I like your statement that there is "another dimension", but maybe it is not the same perception as you have. If you take a sheet of paper and draw a matchstick man there and you can make him live, he will understand how to go left and right, up and down. But he cannot and cannot imagine to go forward and backward. That's exactly what I believe - there might be a 4th dimension that we, as we are living in a 3-dimensional world, cannot imagine. Theoretical thesis of about 11 dimensions I have to reject as theoretical paper-pooping. in my childhood, I remember seeing the "Christkind" (Jesus Child, that brings presents to children at Christmas, as Santa Claus does across the big Ocean) once. Well, we all know that this Christkind does not exist, so it is imagination. Same goes for everyone who believes in ghosts - sooner or later s/he will "encounter" one. Apart of my childhood remembrances, i never saw anything supernatural in my life. The only thing that not everybody might have seen was a ball-lightning in 1998, I saw it and my friends did not, but maybe this was because they were not looking in the right direction at the time.

For me, there is a big question: Why do other mammals, also intelligent ones, just die and only humans might "create" a ghostly presence? I never heard of a family dog or parrot that died and afterwards came to the house but I often heard about some human dying and later on being mainly felt but sometimes even seen by some relatives. This is someting that really intrigues me!

• 1 month later...

I remember that in my childhood, when I still was believing in "Christ's Child", I could swear having seen it in front of my window - not the face but her body and feet. It's all about what you believe in....

and this might be the big problem of religions today.....

For me, there is a big question: Why do other mammals, also intelligent ones, just die and only humans might "create" a ghostly presence? I never heard of a family dog or parrot that died and afterwards came to the house but I often heard about some human dying and later on being mainly felt but sometimes even seen by some relatives. This is someting that really intrigues me!

Had a beloved family dog surprise me in my garage once. She'd been on the other side of the grass for a couple of months. She had breast cancer and we had spent a small fortune to cure her, unsuccessfully.

As a scientist I am afraid I have to be boring and plant my flag firmly on the 'don't believe' side of the fence. Cool! if we did have ghosts hanging around but we don't and there is usually a rational explanation when someone ventures into the world of the paranormal...such as English_Bob's for example. I did see the devil in a mirror once and I've seen ghoulish hands dragging my Cd's into the stereo system in my misspent youth ,but, I put that down to a cup of psilocybe tea I had at a friends house :D

Hmm... Interesting that this topic should come up again.

As I mentioned, I had a couple of experiences of Sleep Paralysis before. However I had two consecutive episode this week!

On Thursday and Friday nights I had the same feeling of being 'pressed down' by someone (something). I heard terrible voices shouting at me - the main one was a woman screaming/whispering "You're going mad, you're going mad!" I felt like I was answering her and was shouting back "You're not real!"... Then she said "Put your tongue out..." So I did and I could feel another tongue - that's when I woke up terrified - and there was no-one there!

Last night I chatted with a few friends of mine and three out of four of us had experienced it at some time (although never on consecutive nights!) After the most second, more frightening episode, I lay awake and wondered if maybe there was something in my room.

So I read up on Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

My symptoms are almost exactly like those described (which is a relief!). And it was good to see that it's a global thing - the Thais call it phǐǐ am. The girls I was talking to were Phillipinas and they called it bangungut and apparently it killed a famous actor who had a heart attack from one particularly scary vision

I hope it's a long time before I have another episode - they scare the crap out of me!

I believe in ghosts for no other reason than that it seems to me (at least right now, at this moment) that the energy of a person could not have just disappeared like that. And moreover that (as what Kaunitz suggested) that there is another dimension humans are uncapable of attuning to. e.g. some animals such as bats can tune in to ultrasound which is beyond human's hearing range.

For myself, I can't say that I have really experienced a ghost. I have had several experiences of sleep paralysis, especially as a child, which scared me stiff back then but I now know that it is merely a sleep condition. The closest I got to a ghostly sighting occurred (also as a child) one late evening when I was looking out of the window (we were on the 9th floor) with my mother, and I saw a woman on ground level all dressed in white with very long hair which seemed to reach the ground. I was terrified and turned to my mother and told her what I had seen, and that I had seen a ghost. She did not answer immediately and when I turned to look out of the window again, she was gone. I told her that as well, I think, as far as I can remember. She then replied and said that it was a Malay woman with long hair. I was not convinced but did not say anymore, especially when I considered how a person could have vanished within a few moments. Years later when I asked her again, she said that she only told me it was a Malay woman back then as I was too young and she did not want to scare me. She did not say whether it was a ghost or not, and whether she had seen the figure too or not. However, until today, I could never confirm that it was really a ghost - my mum could simply not have noticed the figure at all (thus resorting to the convenience of saying it was a Malay woman) and it might also be some sort of imagination on my part as a young child.

Another 'ghostly' encounter occurred when I was 14 years old. For a couple of months, my younger cousin (then 11 years old) and I had been playing the occult circle (the one when you said some psychic words and pushed the disc around with your finger to ask the 'spirits' some questions). I remembered that at that time, we were both very obsessed with it, after I bought the entire set home from Times Bookstore. After the two months when we played virtually every day, we got very acquainted with the 'spirit' of a self-proclaimed 16-year-old boy called E.N. We decided to invite him to show himself to us, but was told that it was too bright and also within the adults' sight, so we both had to go to a toilet, count to a specific number before opening our eyes.

What followed next was interesting. I faithfully closed my eye and counted to the agreed upon number and was disappointed to see nothing at all. However to this very day, my now-adult cousin insisted that she cheated and opened her eyes halfway and saw the sihoulette of the side-view of a boy with very pale face, all dressed in white, with the part where the legs should have been in a cloud of haziness. She claimed that she got so scared that she quickly shut her eyes again and when we both opened out eyes, the figure was gone. This took place in broad daylight, so maybe the sunlight coming through the window was playing tricks on her. But then, maybe...

The 'energy argument' for ghosts, simply doesn't work.

Energy can be measured... We are made up of different kinds of energy. eg chemical, electrical, heat etc.

Upon death, all of that energy isn't lost, it is simply transformed to other types - heat during decomposition, chemical.

Having said that, I just had a very interesting chat with some friends of mine. We have a mutual friend who is a Reiki expert and also does spiritual stuff with energy, flow lines etc. They suggested I meet with her if only to see if the visions are my sub-concious saying something. Apparently, she's done great things for both of them... I think I'll meet with her and see if my head spins round or I projectile vomit or something.

My experience with the paranormal began in Vietnam, while serving there as a soldier. My division moved from Bien Hoa up to Phu Bai, near Hue. They bulldozed a Vietnamese cemetary into our flight line, and we had Vietnamese graves left over everywhere. While pulling guard duty at night, we all saw strange stuff going on. The officers who checked the bunkers that we manned were spooked beyond belief, as they patroled the bunkers every couple of hours. Seemed as tho the "entities" were somewhat playful, and moved the path rope around, no other explanation was ever established. It got worse on different occasions, and some of the guards got so spooked that they would pop a flare to see what the hell was going on. After a few months of this, we all got somewhat acustomed to the phenomena, and blew it off.

Hmm... Interesting that this topic should come up again.

As I mentioned, I had a couple of experiences of Sleep Paralysis before. However I had two consecutive episode this week!

On Thursday and Friday nights I had the same feeling of being 'pressed down' by someone (something). I heard terrible voices shouting at me - the main one was a woman screaming/whispering "You're going mad, you're going mad!" I felt like I was answering her and was shouting back "You're not real!"... Then she said "Put your tongue out..." So I did and I could feel another tongue - that's when I woke up terrified - and there was no-one there!

Last night I chatted with a few friends of mine and three out of four of us had experienced it at some time (although never on consecutive nights!) After the most second, more frightening episode, I lay awake and wondered if maybe there was something in my room.

So I read up on Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

My symptoms are almost exactly like those described (which is a relief!). And it was good to see that it's a global thing - the Thais call it phǐǐ am. The girls I was talking to were Phillipinas and they called it bangungut and apparently it killed a famous actor who had a heart attack from one particularly scary vision

I hope it's a long time before I have another episode - they scare the crap out of me!

Being one of those who is not a real believer in ghosts, I'd put that down on a nightmare. And there is one phenomenon that we should not forget: The dream inside the dream. This is what happened to me several times that I had a dream and woke up, encountering strange things and wondering how that could happen and then, at the end, I woke up again, finally noticing that these stange things also happened in my dreams.

Edited by kaunitz

• 4 weeks later...

Ghosts are for real, and I've had my experience already. I probably have mentioned this story before on TF.

Not sure if this experience was a dream in a dream but this is what I remember.

While recently divorced (1st wife), I was renting in an inner city suburb of Melbourne. Fell asleep on the couch after some drinks and some ganjha. Had this feeling of a person/spirit wanting to lie next to me and cuddle up.

I was absolutely frozen with fear, couldn't move until I finally had enough of feeling scared, and cried "get out" as I spun around toward the spirit.

The spirit was in a spoon position (no penetration) behind me as I was sleeping/lying on my side.

I think sound came out of my mouth when I said "get out" and I guess I woke up only to find myself sleeping in my bed NOT the couch. Don't know how I got to the bed from the couch, did I have the experience on the couch ? OR on the bed ?

I've had many drinks and ganjha before, but this occasion maybe I was feeling vulnerable, I told my story to a female friend who also says she's a witch and she helped me explain the situation.

Apparently according to her, I was almost raped Succubus although it felt like a male (Incubus?) next to me.

The next morning I got a phone call asking for a father .... can't remember the name, but apparently he 's a priest who had the same number, so I guess he was also living there before I moved in. All this really freaked me out that I quickly got myself a new place to move into but had to put up with 2 more weeks.

I blocked off every vent of the house, for some reason I had this feeling that the spirit was coming in from one of the vents. After 2 weeks I got the **** out of there, I wasn't so much scared anymore as I felt the worse was over, but was feeling angry and annoyed.

Nowadays I don't feel scared of any spirits or ghosts, I think If I feel their presence again, I'll just say "**** OFF" !!!

• 1 month later...