One month tourist visa extension?

Admin_2

Question

It's such a newb question, but the last time I was on a tourist visa was over 7 years ago...

I just got back into Thailand on a one month tourist visa. I remember that there is a two week extension available if you go to immigration and pay 1,900 baht, but have been reading that it's 1-2 weeks. I would need the full two week extension, so I want to make sure that the 2 week extension is still available.

Also, is there an immigration office in Nonthaburi?

17 answers to this question

It's such a newb question, but the last time I was on a tourist visa was over 7 years ago...

I just got back into Thailand on a one month tourist visa. I remember that there is a two week extension available if you go to immigration and pay 1,900 baht, but have been reading that it's 1-2 weeks. I would need the full two week extension, so I want to make sure that the 2 week extension is still available.

Also, is there an immigration office in Nonthaburi?

r u sure it's a 1 month tourist visa u have !! u don't actually get a tourist visa (AFAIK) unless u actually apply for it a Thai embassey/consul. when u arrive at the airport u get a 30 day stamp ... it is NOT a visa !!

and i'm not sure if u can extend that for 15 days or not !!

depending on how much more than 30 days u need to stay u can do a 1 day border run and get an additional 15 days ... get a cheap air asia flight in and out of the country and get an additional 30 days .... or take a few days and go to a neighouring countries thai consul and get a tourist visa which is generally good for 60 + 30 days !!

that must be good for a beer or 3 !!!

You need to go to Chaeng Wattana immigration to get an extension. It is bt1900 for 1 - 7 days, that is the max you can get with the visa exemption stamp you got coming into the country. A 2 week extention was never available on that exemption stamp on a USA passport.

You will pay bt500 a day overstay for everything over one day. If you fly out you get a one day grace period on overstay, more than one day is bt500 a day up to a max of bt20k. Crossing overland has no grace period.

You can cross at any border to get an additional 15 day stamp. This used to be 30 days, but was changed during Thaksin's last time in office to discourage backpackers from coming back into Thailand, unless they were doing it to fly out. He really does hate backpackers with a passion.

For someone that dislikes visa runs, it is your cheapest option....lololol. You can do it at any border. A nice one to do it at is to go to Koh Chang, and take the boat to Cambodia, and back. It gets you your 15 day stamp, and is more scenic than the PoiPet run, with the time being about the same, leave early morning, and you're back late evening. You can catch the night bus to Nong Khai, cross over the friendship bridge at 7:00am, cross back, and catch the 9:00am bus back to Bangkok arriving around 10:00pm.

Any of these options are cheaper than your proposed overstay cost....lolol. You can fly to someplace like Yangon, or another close country, and the cost will be about the same as your extension cost, and overstay cost combined.

Yep, just 7-days for 1900 baht. That's what I got back in February.

As for Thailand being a bit strict... well at least they let people in without a formal visa. I was supposed to go to Vietnam a couple of weeks ago but I forgot to get a visa (didn't know I needed one). I got to the gate and they didn't let me on the plane, which was a bit annoying. I had to pay up and go to Singapore instead.

anyone wanna go to the philippines?

For a visa run?!? I was back there in june and went to a few islands off Cebu if you do decide to go for a week or so I'll send you some options.

Why not head back to your better halves home province, via an elephant tour in Surin on the way (cleaner than the ones in Ciarans bathroom), and then do a visa run to Chong Mek in Ubon the next day - maybe even visit Pakse which is nice this time of year?

KBs advice is good.

If time is limited and you don't want to spend long away, another option is that Lufthansa have a flight to KL on M, W, T & Sa. You can book online or ph and get a same day return fare for around 6k. Departs mid afternoon (3 or 4?) and you are back by 10:30pm, with 2 hrs & free wifi on the ground in KL.

Anywhere but Poipet I say! I'd rather endure a donkey ride to Kandahar......