Ask the experts (native English)

pandorea

As a Thai I often find myself struggle with English both in writing and speaking. Bad choice of words, poor grammatical and all. I think we need some TFers English experts to help us out.

If you have problems with English, post them here.. Some experts wil help you out (hopefully)

A simple mistake I often make is when to use "..and I" or "...and me.". Anyone care to help me out?

As a Thai I often find myself struggle with English both in writing and speaking. Bad choice of words, poor grammatical and all. I think we need some TFers English experts to help us out.

If you have problems with English, post them here.. Some experts wil help you out (hopefully)

A simple mistake I often make is when to use "..and I" or "...and me.". Anyone care to help me out?

Use 'I' when it's the subject.

Use 'me' when it's the object.

So "Michael and I went out." Because two people did the action, they are both the subject.

But "My father loved Michael and me." In this sentence 'my father' is the subject and he loved two objects (Michael and the speaker).

So "Michael and I went out." Because two people did the action, they are both the subject.

But "My father loved Michael and me." In this sentence 'my father' is the subject and he loved two objects (Michael and the speaker).

If I was a non-native English speaker I wouldn't get too upset about misusing this one because a lot of native speakers don't use "I" and "me" properly either. I think 50% would get "Michael and I went out" as well as "My father loved Michael and me" wrong if you gave a test on the streets of London or NYC. We all know there's a rule but we forget what it is and go with whichever one seems to sound right :-)

Of course, if you are saying things like "Me go to store," you might want to work on things :-)

I'm usually pretty good with grammar. Occasionally I make mistakes through laziness or carelessness.

As far as correcting 2nd language speakers is concerned, I only correct them when the meaning is unclear or wrong, or when the mistake makes them sound stupid.

eg 'I am boring.'

There's a girl I hang out with who told me to correct her all the time. But we'd never get through a conversation! 99% of the time she is totally clear and easy to understand, there's nothing to gain from finding every mistake she makes.

Kusuma, Neung, Nicky, Karnie and AAAum are all examples of people who use English well, where their meaning is almost always clear. Tonia is not just very clear, but uses the subtleties of the language brilliantly - some of her comments display perfect comic timing and if I didn't know better, I'd think a native speaker wrote them.

I'll answer their questions about their use of the English language, but I won't correct them in a forum discussion unless I don't understand the sentence.

Kusuma, Neung, Nicky, Karnie and AAAum are all examples of people who use English well, where their meaning is almost always clear. Tonia is not just very clear, but uses the subtleties of the language brilliantly - some of her comments display perfect comic timing and if I didn't know better, I'd think a native speaker wrote them.

I couldn't agree more.

It can be both "boring" or "bored". Depends on who say it. If you say it... it would be "I'm fcuking bored./)=#. You shut the f...k up" and some people with low self-esteem might say "I am boring".

some ppl i have to listen .... are ******* boring !!! that's why i couldn't see the mistake !!!

well actually i knew what Dave was getting at .... but i'm bored at work and was trying to get things going on TF !!!

it's been ******* really quiet here recently !!!!!

This is a Teacher's skill (of Dave), is to easy understandable explain.

I have asked sister teach me how to drive a car, she said 'mai roo, just try to control it and dont let it control you' that didnt help me at all but when i asked her hubby ( bro-in-law ) who is a teacher, he taught me step by step, how to look at the car's left, right, rear mirrors, how to keep the car in lane...etc.

sorry, off topic :)

This is a Teacher's skill (of Dave), is to easy understandable explain.

I have asked sister teach me how to drive a car, she said 'mai roo, just try to control it and dont let it control you' that didnt help me at all but when i asked her hubby ( bro-in-law ) who is a teacher, he taught me step by step, how to look at the car's left, right, rear mirrors, how to keep the car in lane...etc.

sorry, off topic :)

Kus ..... i didn't know ur bro-in-law was a farang !!! ;-)

some ppl i have to listen .... are ******* boring !!! that's why i couldn't see the mistake !!!

well actually i knew what Dave was getting at .... but i'm bored at work and was trying to get things going on TF !!!

it's been ******* really quiet here recently !!!!!

What's the mistake there?

Where do I start?