American's married to Thai?

dietpepsican

Originally Posted by FarangFarang
I don't want to make Thai people sound bad but I will say that 99.999999999999% of Thai women that would marry you without meeting you first . . . uhm, they're working some sort of angle. It's just not part of the culture. Something smells funny about this whole situation.

I think 99.9999999999% of women of ANY nationality who would marry you without meeting would be working some sort of angle.

Oh.. okay... :)

Nice of you to join TF. Contrary to what the resident assh0le has to say, and the less than a 1/3 of a person in all of Thailand the admin made reference to, there really are good Thai women that will want to get married before they meet you. They are serious in their intention, and what they talk about. It is, from my experience, just their way of being direct in their use of English, and making sure your intentions are real. They don't want to waste their time with you if you are not serious about a long term relationship.

They do eventually want to get married, and what you might be experiencing with the one you are talking to is the leading of your talk, and questioning in that direction. They will not actually know if they will marry you until you meet, but they will know that your intentions are in that direction, and not just wanting to sleep with them, then be on your merry way, as a few of the assh0les on here do.

Sure there are scams, and most of those involve bar girls, or sex workers. There is a whole other group of women that chat that are looking for a serious relationship, and have a tendancy to imply getting married after you've talked to them for a few months, or even weeks. Take it for what it is, testing your intentions in developing a long term relationship, but as has been mentioned, if there is an inquiry for you to send them money in any manner, dump them, and keep looking.

I had 2 different women I used to chat with that thought it was easy to find someone on the internet to get married to because a friend had met someone on the internet, and after a long relationship, meeting in person for extended periods of time, they finally got married. My 2 friends took that as a sign that you can meet someone on the internet to marry, but they totally disreguarded the time put into developing the relationship by their freind, and thought it happened in just a few months of talking. Be smart about what you are doing.

To get a Thai girl into the USA, and if she has any kind of record of being a sex worker she won't be allowed entry, takes on average 1 full year for a fiance visa. Including what Bill has listed, you will also have to prove you can support her for the time she is in the USA on the visa, and you will have to provide medical insurance for her. This involves documented records of your bank accounts, and proof of income, then medical insurance in her name (that is one expensive item to get if she isn't married to you, and can be placed on your policy).

If you actually do intend to get married after you meet her, apply for the fiance visa before you get married, and postpone the wedding until you get it. As soon as she gets the visa, then get married in Thailand, and register the marriage with the local Amphur, but do not register it yet with the US embassy, wait until you get her into the USA before you do that (register the marriage with the US State department). If you don't do this you will have her waiting in Thailand another year while she is approved for her green card. If you get her into the USA before you register the marriage, then you simply change her status, and apply for her temporary stay permit, then she waits in the USA with you while her green card is approved.

It does not matter with the immigration department that you do it this way as you will be grilled on 2 different occasions testing your relationship with a fine toothed comb. There have been way too many marriages for money since the Vietnam war for them to think any marriage to a foreigner is legitimate. It used to only take one year for a spouse to get her permanent green card, now it takes 11 years, with most getting citizenship before they get their permanent green card, and the right to stay in the country long term without being married. They can devorce you after only 2 1/2 years, right after they get their 10 year green card, but they will have to have been living with you, and for the most part sleeping with you, given the questioning in the interviews you both will go through with immigration just getting to that point, if she does make it into the country to begin with. If things don't match up then she gets deported on the spot, and no green card is issued. She could leave you when she gets her 10 year card though, she just would have to do something in that time to get permanent status.

This should give you an idea of what you are dealing with, and what you will be dealing with if you do decide to marry. I've had 7 different friends marry Thai women, and move to the USA, and in every manner you can think of, with a few of the girls just staying illegally in the USA after their tourist visa expired, then getting married. 2 had to wait an extra year for her to get into the USA because they registered the marriage with the USA embassy in Bangkok, then she couldn't enter the country as his spouse until her green card was approved.

The funniest one was a very hiso girl who's parents didn't approve of her marrying a foreigner, so they eloped. This caused so much loss of face for her parents that her Mother didn't talk to her for a full year, and her Father still won't talk to her when her husband is in the room. Her sinsot would have been bt10,000,000 with 25 baht of gold. He refused to pay this, so they eloped.....lolol. Big loss of face for the family.

Edited by koolbreez

My experience has been different than Koolbreez's so let me point out the differences.

1. It really doesn't matter when you get married. The waiting time for a CR1 (spouse) visa and a K1 (fiance) are only about 1 - 2 months difference. The big difference is that on a K1 you still have to jump through all of the hoops once she gets to the US. You have to marry within 90 days and then apply for an adjustment of status.

If you apply for a spouse visa she will receive her green card automatically once she enters the US. In fact, one of the forms you fill out as part of the process asks where she would like her green card mailed to once she clears immigration at her point of arrival in the US.

You can check the projected wait times on visajourney.com.

And the wait times have nothing to do with Thailand. The wait times are because you are sending your paperwork to a clearing center that handles all US visa applications. Think of all of the applications the US gets for educational, spouse, fiance, work, etc visas from people all over the world. Your application gets thrown into that bunch and your biggest waits are for them to sort your paperwork, make sure it is complete, and route it to the appropriate embassy for further processing.

Remember . . . the US embassy is under the Department of State and USCIS is under Homeland Security. The US embassy doesn't handle the visa part of the request until USCIS has signed off.

This is why it doesn't really make a difference if you apply for a fiance or a spouse visa. The most lengthy part of the wait, the USCIS part, is nearly identical. For whatever reason spouse visas do move slightly more quickly so you might be looking at 7 months compared to 8 or 9 months. But, again, on the spouse visa she will have her green card within a few weeks of entering the country. On a fiance visa you will have to get married and then apply for a change of status which will take several more months and she cannot work, get a SSN, etc while she's waiting.

2. Most of the scams do not involve bar girls and/or sex workers. They involve seemingly normal girls who hear that they can meet a farang online and win the lottery. Not that bar girls and sex workers don't also work the online dating sites but in terms of pure numbers you've got like a 70% chance of running into a non-sex worker scam artist than you do a sex worker.

Part of it is that many girls don't even consider trading sex for money as prostitution. One girl I met on an online dating site several years ago was offering to be my girlfriend for as long as I paid her university tuition. I asked her if that wasn't just some form of prostitution and she banned and blocked me :-)

The problem with most online dating sites is that once the word gets out that there are a lot of farangs on the site it attracts scam artists like bears to honey. It's not that all Thai women are scammers. It's that scammers overrun wherever the farangs go thus totally skewing the numbers.

TF is a little different (not to plug TF but, hey . . . ) since we heavily moderate the site. If we get any complaints about scammers or girls looking to exchange sex for money they don't last long on here. Most of the other online dating sites just turn a blind eye to it so they can boast larger numbers.

3. I have not heard of the medical insurance requirement that Koolbreez mentions. I'm in the middle of a spouse visa and have not filled out one piece of paperwork pertaining to medical insurance. I have had to prove income. You do have to earn more than 125% of the poverty level (which is less than $20K so anything above minimum wage should get you there). In fact, I have put my wife on my medical insurance but it's a huge pain in the ass because she doesn't have a social security number yet and most medical plans use your SSN as some part of your membership number. But I have not been asked for any of that information on any of the forms I've filled out for USCIS.

4. I'm somewhat confused by KB's statements about registering your marriage. In Thailand there are two "marriages." One is purely religious and ceremonial and has absolutely no legal standing either in Thailand or the US. Then there is the legal marriage which you file at the Amphur (it doesn't have to be her local amphur). You do not file or register anything with the US embassy about your marriage. A Thai legal marriage at the amphur is a legally recognized marriage in the US.

The process is that you go to the US embassy and sign a document that says you've never been married before (or provide divorce papers proving a legal dissolution of the previous marriage) and that you are not currently married. You sign this in front of a notary who certifies that under penalty of perjury that you attest that the statements are true.

You then take that document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs near Chiang Wattana and get it translated into Thai and then certified by the MFA that the translation is an accurate representation of what appears in English.

From there you can register your marriage at the amphur office. There is no ceremony at the amphur office. You just hand in your paperwork and get some stamps and that's it. You're legally married in the US, Thailand, and anywhere else in the world that recognizes a US marriage.

There's nothing to register at the US embassy. They don't care.

What KB might be talking about is that you should get the Thai marriage certificate translated into English and certified at the MFA (that it's an accurate translation). Now you can use copies of the marriage cert for any US related purposes like opening bank accounts or whatever. Nobody is going to ask to see a stamp from the US embassy or complain that you didn't register your marriage with the US embassy.

Here is the US embassy in Bangkok page about marrying a Thai local and it doesn't mention anywhere that you need to register your marriage at the embassy.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

you guys are so imformative. Some money issues just draw my attention a bit here. I hope that any foreigners are not confused with the whole money concepts. You have to distinguish between scammers and money related culture issues. For example,hi-so girl who just ignore the family feeling ,chooses to be with "stranger" and let's everyone who truely love you down. It is a sad story, not only "losing face" matter. Second one, sure, if any women offer you any sex in exchange of money, they are prostitute in this sense. However, romantic relationship always involve love making and I believe guys are smart enough to know which one is reasonable financial supports to help.

you guys are so imformative. Some money issues just draw my attention a bit here. I hope that any foreigners are not confused with the whole money concepts. You have to distinguish between scammers and money related culture issues. For example,hi-so girl who just ignore the family feeling ,chooses to be with "stranger" and let's everyone who truely love you down. It is a sad story, not only "losing face" matter. Second one, sure, if any women offer you any sex in exchange of money, they are prostitute in this sense. However, romantic relationship always involve love making and I believe guys are smart enough to know which one is reasonable financial supports to help.

I'm afraid you give us guys way too much credit, Exploring. The internet is littered with tales of poor saps meeting a Thai (or Filipino, or Chinese, or Vietnamese, or . . . ) girl online and getting taken to both the emotional as well as financial cleaners. Scammers go where the easy money is and there's no easier money than some love-sick dope back in his home country thinking that he's found the girl of his dreams and wanting to "help" her with her financial problems.

Several years back I was on Hi5 and MySpace and kept running across a bunch of girls from the Philippines who claimed to be airline stewardesses who would come to visit if you paid their visa fee. I played around with them a bit acting like a prospective customer just to see what the scam was. Turns out they quote some bullshit visa law that doesn't even exist and then claim if you will send them the $500 application fee they can visit you in just a couple of weeks.

So I sent the profiles to Hi5 and MySpace and reported them as scams. I detailed the email exchanges and showed that the supposed visa regulation they were citing was an agreement between US military forces and the Filipino government about military personnel on leave and had nothing to do with visas.

They closed the accounts and a few weeks later new accounts with different pics but the same exact profile info was back. I reported them again, and again, and again, and whenever I ran across these scam profiles.

Soon I was receiving threats from the people behind the profiles and told that if I didn't quit my life would be in danger. I kept reporting them and they kept sending death threats.

I only quit when it became obvious that neither Hi5 nor MySpace really cared. I told them how I was finding the profiles and recommended they screen new accounts but they didn't so I quit reporting them.

The reason most of these scams work is because the girls start off asking for money for reasonable expenses like a visa application or maybe not asking for money at all. Then it becomes a little cash here to help pay the rent this month because she missed work because she was sick until eventually the guy is buying houses and cars to prove how much he loves her.

And it's hard. Let's say you've been talking with some girl for 2 or 3 months now and she asks for 3000 baht for rent. It's only $100 and you know from talking to her that she's poor, from a poor country, and it's easy for you to help. Then her brother gets sick and she starts using the emotional blackmail. She hints or outright tells you that if you can't help her family it means you don't love her or that you're not serious. So the guy sends off 5,000 baht to help her poor brother who was just in a motorcycle accident. Then the family water buffalo dies and the family has no source of income . . . another payment is made. And then the floods wiped out this year's rice crop and . . . well, I think you get the idea. All of this is done under the threat that failure to pay means you don't really love her and she needs to find someone who will "understand" her better.

And before anybody asks . . . no, I have never sent any money to some girl I've met online. I've just been around long enough, read enough Stickman horror stories, and had enough girls try to pull this crap that it's easy to dissect the pattern.

These people are sociopaths. They know how to prey on people who they perceive as weak and they seek them out. What better way than someone looking for love on an online dating website?

I'm afraid you give us guys way too much credit, Exploring. The internet is littered with tales of poor saps meeting a Thai (or Filipino, or Chinese, or Vietnamese, or . . . ) girl online and getting taken to both the emotional as well as financial cleaners. Scammers go where the easy money is and there's no easier money than some love-sick dope back in his home country thinking that he's found the girl of his dreams and wanting to "help" her with her financial problems.

Several years back I was on Hi5 and MySpace and kept running across a bunch of girls from the Philippines who claimed to be airline stewardesses who would come to visit if you paid their visa fee. I played around with them a bit acting like a prospective customer just to see what the scam was. Turns out they quote some bullshit visa law that doesn't even exist and then claim if you will send them the $500 application fee they can visit you in just a couple of weeks.

So I sent the profiles to Hi5 and MySpace and reported them as scams. I detailed the email exchanges and showed that the supposed visa regulation they were citing was an agreement between US military forces and the Filipino government about military personnel on leave and had nothing to do with visas.

They closed the accounts and a few weeks later new accounts with different pics but the same exact profile info was back. I reported them again, and again, and again, and whenever I ran across these scam profiles.

Soon I was receiving threats from the people behind the profiles and told that if I didn't quit my life would be in danger. I kept reporting them and they kept sending death threats.

I only quit when it became obvious that neither Hi5 nor MySpace really cared. I told them how I was finding the profiles and recommended they screen new accounts but they didn't so I quit reporting them.

The reason most of these scams work is because the girls start off asking for money for reasonable expenses like a visa application or maybe not asking for money at all. Then it becomes a little cash here to help pay the rent this month because she missed work because she was sick until eventually the guy is buying houses and cars to prove how much he loves her.

And it's hard. Let's say you've been talking with some girl for 2 or 3 months now and she asks for 3000 baht for rent. It's only $100 and you know from talking to her that she's poor, from a poor country, and it's easy for you to help. Then her brother gets sick and she starts using the emotional blackmail. She hints or outright tells you that if you can't help her family it means you don't love her or that you're not serious. So the guy sends off 5,000 baht to help her poor brother who was just in a motorcycle accident. Then the family water buffalo dies and the family has no source of income . . . another payment is made. And then the floods wiped out this year's rice crop and . . . well, I think you get the idea. All of this is done under the threat that failure to pay means you don't really love her and she needs to find someone who will "understand" her better.

And before anybody asks . . . no, I have never sent any money to some girl I've met online. I've just been around long enough, read enough Stickman horror stories, and had enough girls try to pull this crap that it's easy to dissect the pattern.

These people are sociopaths. They know how to prey on people who they perceive as weak and they seek them out. What better way than someone looking for love on an online dating website?

So, what if her story is true ( rarely, I know), you decided not to help for whatever reasons or only not to be percieved as not stupid or manipulated by Thai women. The bond is tested. I guess, only bad fortune we should blame. And I should go to bed, it is in the morning already!

So, what if her story is true ( rarely, I know), you decided not to help for whatever reasons or only not to be percieved as not stupid or manipulated by Thai women. The bond is tested. I guess, only bad fortune we should blame. And I should go to bed, it is in the morning already!

And the ONLY person who can help is a guy she never met on the other side of the world?

No friends? No relatives?

Such a big emergency that she can wait 3-5 days for him to get organised to send money?

KB talks rubbish. Ignore him. Thai women don't marry strangers off the Internet. Hiso Thai women definitely don't.

He left his brain at a Grateful Dead concert in the 70's. Since then he's been surviving using the same process that allows cockroaches to live for a month after their heads are removed.

And the ONLY person who can help is a guy she never met on the other side of the world?

No friends? No relatives?

Such a big emergency that she can wait 3-5 days for him to get organised to send money?

KB talks rubbish. Ignore him. Thai women don't marry strangers off the Internet. Hiso Thai women definitely don't.

He left his brain at a Grateful Dead concert in the 70's. Since then he's been surviving using the same process that allows cockroaches to live for a month after their heads are removed.

I knew this resident assh0le was lieing out his teeth when he said he blocked me.......hahahahahahaha. To hear advise from a person that is only in the numbers game about how many girls he can sleep with in a month is hilarious. He can't hold a relationship together, and also can't seem to read past two sentences.....lolololol.

This is the greeting committee for any male joining TF, and gets the prefunctory bashing when this assh0le sees a threat to his perceived picking grounds of Thai girls. This is the type of guy girls looking for a serious relationship get scammed by. He is so bitter towards anyone that can hold a relationship together that he becomes vile in his response to anyone even thinking of such a relationship. Check all his past responses to any new male joining, and you will see how outright jealous he is of any perceived threat to HIS picking grounds....I can only continue to laugh at this assh0le, as others do too.....eieieieieieieeieieieieieiei

I knew this resident assh0le was lieing out his teeth when he said he blocked me.......hahahahahahaha. To hear advise from a person that is only in the numbers game about how many girls he can sleep with in a month is hilarious. He can't hold a relationship together, and also can't seem to read past two sentences.....lolololol.

This is the greeting committee for any male joining TF, and gets the prefunctory bashing when this assh0le sees a threat to his perceived picking grounds of Thai girls. This is the type of guy girls looking for a serious relationship get scammed by. He is so bitter towards anyone that can hold a relationship together that he becomes vile in his response to anyone even thinking of such a relationship. Check all his past responses to any new male joining, and you will see how outright jealous he is of any perceived threat to HIS picking grounds....I can only continue to laugh at this assh0le, as others do too.....eieieieieieieeieieieieieiei

hmmmm .... i don't think Dave sees newbies as any kind of threat .... and the only ppl who get flamed when joining TF tend to be Trolls or ppl that r so stupid i don't know how they turn on their computer without their mum's assistance !!!

there may be some exceptions to the above .... but not many !!!

KB... Let me count the ways in which you're stupid...

1) Blocking automatically blocks me from seeing your posts. I then have the option to 'view post' if I feel like reading tripe. Feel stupid yet?

2) It's 'advice' not 'advise'. One is a noun, one is a verb.

3) This month I helped two people set up businesses, I wrote the curriculum for a staff training school, I gave blood and I found work for 10 people.... I did all of this to help people not for any money.

I also had sex with 2 models (one from Argentina, one from Brazil) and a journalist from New York. All of them are still friendly and quite happy to do it again sometime. I live in different circles to you. You need to stay in your lower Sukhumvit pool bars trying to catch a grope of a waitress to give you something to fantasise about when you go to bed. Feel stupid yet?

4) You use the sentence 'can't hold a relationship together...' But again you're wrong. With the exception of two, I am still friends with all my long-term girlfriends - I attended two of their weddings in July. I can have a relationship, I just choose not to. Feel stupid yet?

5) 'Picking ground'? I almost never date online, so it wouldn't be my 'picking ground'. I meet people in bars, restaurants and clubs - you know, real life. Feel stupid yet?

6) 'Jealous'? If I wanted to reduce the competition, surely I'd be encouraging the guy to get married. Feel stupid yet?

7) 'Scammed'? One of my many good points is that I don't lie and I don't cheat. Therefore any girl who meets me, knows from the start who I am. Feel stupid yet?

8) 'Bitter towards' people with a stable relationship? Hmm... ask Bill, Rob or the two girls whose weddings I attended last month if there is any bitterness in me. Feel stupid yet?

9) I've had online fights with 3 newbies - GG, Mark and KK. Vbroker wasn't one of mine. ASM wasn't one of mine. All of those guys turned out to be monumental dicks - defaulting on loans, sending disgusting messages to female members. Feel stupid yet?

10) You continue to laugh at me as others do? Well, not to put too fine a point on it, you're a bit of a joke yourself. Kind of creepy, not very popular and a never-was, rather than a has-been. I also notice that you are much less brave in person, preferring to skulk on the outskirts of a function when I'm there. That would make you a cyber-hero; the kind of man who's brave online, but doesn't have the balls to be the same in real life. Maybe next time you are in the same room with me, you'd like to prove me wrong and call me 'a**hole' to my face? Feel stupid yet?

PS

If the answer to Feel stupid yet? is 'No', it's because you're too stupid to know when you just got beaten.

Edited by English_Bob

No.

It's as easy as seal clubbing.

But as satisfying as when the seal greets you with, "Think you're hard? Wanna piece of me? C'mon then motherfucker!!"

hahahahaha .... that reminds me of a story i was told about a "so called US Seal" getting his ass kicked on sukhumvit one night/early morning !!!

I take issue with the fact that this is somehow a test. She's the one who failed.

I like to think I understand Thai culture so I know that family is very important to Thai people. So I have no problems if a woman wants to help out her family with *her* money. If she starts dating a guy her family is still *her* responsibility until the relationship has progressed to a certain point (which I would certainly define as something more than just chatting online). If they're living together or engaged or whatever then, knowing how Thai culture works, the guy should understand and pitch in from time to time with help. And after they're married then the guy is expected to pitch in like everyone else in the family.

However, like I said, chatting a few times online is not a "real" relationship. Nor should the family start to rely on the kindness of the farang to get by. Nor should the family be looking to upgrade their lifestyle because they have a daughter dating a farang. If they didn't have a car before they don't suddenly need a car because their daughter is dating a farang.

I think this is going to be one of those areas that it will be difficult for Thai and farang to see eye to eye on because we live in two different worlds. Not our cultures but our experiences. As I said in a previous comment, scammers of every sort are drawn to farangs like moths to a flame. So let's say only 10% of Thai women are out to scam you for your money. We see all 10%! We don't meet 9 good ones and 1 bad one. We meet all 10 bad ones and if we're lucky we meet 1 good one because the bad ones hunt us down.

Now, that may not be you or your friends but that is our reality of Thailand and Thai women. We know that they're not all bad but if a girl starts asking for money too soon in a relationship it's just easier to find a new one than try to figure out if she's one of the good ones or the bad ones.

Seriously, most Thai people cannot or do not want to believe some of the stuff that us farang see. I had one girl who, on the first date, before we even made it to the restaurant, suggested that maybe we could stop by MBK so I could buy her a new 10,000 - 15,000 mobile phone because her phone "No good." I've had another, again on the first date, take a detour through Siam Square and hint that she really wanted a new belt. I could write pages upon pages of just stuff that's happened to me. I'm sure every guy on TF could chime in with his own long list of dating horror stories.

But if you never see that yourself, if you aren't that kind of person, it's very hard for you to imagine why asking for money is such a hot topic for guys. You don't understand why we're so cautious about Thai women.

I take issue with the fact that this is somehow a test. She's the one who failed.

I like to think I understand Thai culture so I know that family is very important to Thai people. So I have no problems if a woman wants to help out her family with *her* money. If she starts dating a guy her family is still *her* responsibility until the relationship has progressed to a certain point (which I would certainly define as something more than just chatting online). If they're living together or engaged or whatever then, knowing how Thai culture works, the guy should understand and pitch in from time to time with help. And after they're married then the guy is expected to pitch in like everyone else in the family.

However, like I said, chatting a few times online is not a "real" relationship. Nor should the family start to rely on the kindness of the farang to get by. Nor should the family be looking to upgrade their lifestyle because they have a daughter dating a farang. If they didn't have a car before they don't suddenly need a car because their daughter is dating a farang.

I think this is going to be one of those areas that it will be difficult for Thai and farang to see eye to eye on because we live in two different worlds. Not our cultures but our experiences. As I said in a previous comment, scammers of every sort are drawn to farangs like moths to a flame. So let's say only 10% of Thai women are out to scam you for your money. We see all 10%! We don't meet 9 good ones and 1 bad one. We meet all 10 bad ones and if we're lucky we meet 1 good one because the bad ones hunt us down.

Now, that may not be you or your friends but that is our reality of Thailand and Thai women. We know that they're not all bad but if a girl starts asking for money too soon in a relationship it's just easier to find a new one than try to figure out if she's one of the good ones or the bad ones.

Seriously, most Thai people cannot or do not want to believe some of the stuff that us farang see. I had one girl who, on the first date, before we even made it to the restaurant, suggested that maybe we could stop by MBK so I could buy her a new 10,000 - 15,000 mobile phone because her phone "No good." I've had another, again on the first date, take a detour through Siam Square and hint that she really wanted a new belt. I could write pages upon pages of just stuff that's happened to me. I'm sure every guy on TF could chime in with his own long list of dating horror stories.

But if you never see that yourself, if you aren't that kind of person, it's very hard for you to imagine why asking for money is such a hot topic for guys. You don't understand why we're so cautious about Thai women.

@Bill, You made it cystal clear here. Thank you so much for putting effort . Did Rob pay you well?, I hope he does.