What will you do with your money?

Exploring

At this point;2 AM bkk time, it is the time of almost closing bell of stock markets in the US. All of the exchanges are negative while gold price is climbing up.I just can't sleep and want to think about how Thai stock market will perform tomorrow. What would your ideas on how to manage your money ; given this financial situation? Which market or assets would you put your money in? How much yield will you require in return per annual?

If your profile is correct, you're 23. Put your money in some long-term, diversified investments (like index funds) and don't look at them again until you're 60. :-)

That is right if you don't take desirable life style you want to enjoy into account after you retire. If you don't adjust your money once in a while, you will end up eating only hamburger 3 times a day. Money will grow in terms of nominal as well as inflation increases .

For my retirement stuff, I basically just do what Bill said. I put money in large index funds, and really only look at it a couple of times a year.

However, I do play with individual stocks on a day to day basis, and I do pretty well. I expect well over 10% return, closer to 15-20% per year. Everything has been taking some bad hits lately, but I see Thai stocks as pretty guarded from US influence (in the long term). Right now, they seem to follow what happens in the US with a 12 hour lag, making it easy to get in and out without too much damage.

For my retirement stuff, I basically just do what Bill said. I put money in large index funds, and really only look at it a couple of times a year.

However, I do play with individual stocks on a day to day basis, and I do pretty well. I expect well over 10% return, closer to 15-20% per year. Everything has been taking some bad hits lately, but I see Thai stocks as pretty guarded from US influence (in the long term). Right now, they seem to follow what happens in the US with a 12 hour lag, making it easy to get in and out without too much damage.

I am semi - surprised that SET is up almost 1 % now. It is interesting since I read the news about how bad The U.S economy will be given the S&P performance last night. I came across one article addressing that most of exchanges around the world are breaking the support technical line except THAILAND and a few asain markets. I think, i just look and learn for now.

@ your strategy about long- term investment, it is a well- known method. The history won't repeat themselve hopefully. For example ,retirees suffered from 2009 stock market returns decrease if you invested in index funds. And, close monitor is needed at that time.

I am semi - surprised that SET is up almost 1 % now. It is interesting since I read the news about how bad The U.S economy will be given the S&P performance last night. I came across one article addressing that most of exchanges around the world are breaking the support technical line except THAILAND and a few asain markets. I think, i just look and learn for now.

@ your strategy about long- term investment, it is a well- known method. The history won't repeat themselve hopefully. For example ,retirees suffered from 2009 stock market returns decrease if you invested in index funds. And, close monitor is needed at that time.

Yes, but as you near retirement age you lower your risk by decreasing your exposure to equities and increasing your fixed income or other less volatile holdings.

Again, going back to your age, 23, and hypothetical retirement age of 60 that gives you 37 years. If someone would have invested $10,000 37 years ago you would have over 100% chance of earning a 10% annualized rate of return even with 2009 factored in. Of course, if you invested only 5 years ago then 2009 will give you a huge kick in the ass. But given a long enough time period the probability of hitting a 10% annualized rate of return in a diversified portfolio of equities is nearly guaranteed.

If you really depend on of having a defined sum... easy.. try to earn it by working!

I like Japamericans words ..'I do play..'

Stock market isn't a total random game, but it for sure is not predictable. All you can do is invest based on the information you have, mean they are more, better, faster infos than the others have.

Today billions are generated/destroyed every day.. without any real linkage to the values in the 'real world'

Im not saying that investing is not a good thing to do, but I rather find it funny how people do plan their financial future.

As a more technical person.. i know that nothing is 100% sure even in engineering .. and the financial market is even worse..

If you really depend on of having a defined sum... easy.. try to earn it by working!

I like Japamericans words ..'I do play..'

Stock market isn't a total random game, but it for sure is not predictable. All you can do is invest based on the information you have, mean they are more, better, faster infos than the others have.

Today billions are generated/destroyed every day.. without any real linkage to the values in the 'real world'

Im not saying that investing is not a good thing to do, but I rather find it funny how people do plan their financial future.

As a more technical person.. i know that nothing is 100% sure even in engineering .. and the financial market is even worse..

What you mentioned here is short- term trading which is dependant on information you have. If you want to invest this style, you need to pick the right stocks too, otherwise you wil incure loses once you put your money in. As for financial planing, it is a must for everyone,if you don't do so then you are wasing time working. I understand what you meant here generally. I think nothing is technical more than mathematics and finance shares the same characteristics.

marc, you're right...I really do "play" with that money. It's money that wouldn't really hurt if I lost it, but I'd be really happy if I doubled it. Nothing is guaranteed, but it's a lot like poker. You make the best play possible, sit back, and watch.

Bill has a good point in that once you hit 5-10 years before your retirement, throw your money into something that is safe...earning 5% a year with a small chance to lose 3% year...whatever. Those funds are things that you don't "play" with. Kind of like girls with questionable ID cards.

What you mentioned here is short- term trading which is dependant on information you have. If you want to invest this style, you need to pick the right stocks too, otherwise you wil incure loses once you put your money in. As for financial planing, it is a must for everyone,if you don't do so then you are wasing time working. I understand what you meant here generally. I think nothing is technical more than mathematics and finance shares the same characteristics.

Nope, i also refer to long term. To take it for granted that the general indices will grow with an average of 10-15% over the next 30, or 50 or 100 years surprises me. Why? Coz it was like this the last 50 years? Problem is that the world today is a bit different then it was 50 years ago.

Mathematics is just a methode to describe, analize, understand,.. a system. Thats why its working quite well for technical and scientific systems.

Financial (not the calculation of ur daily spending) somehow involves human beings (as investors, as consumers, as producers,..) .... and for any pediction, 100% sure, u have to know how they will behave...for the next 40 years. I even dont know what some girls will do next day....

But pure mathematics: If you want a 10% return (without any inflation) for the next 40 years with ur stocks...

The index has to go up ~45 times. If no bubble.. Thai GDB will go up 45 times??

50 years ago the world was big, no limits. Unfortunately we live in a system based on growth. And in a world with limited space, resources, ... growth is not possible for ever. 100% sure :-)

They actually list girls with questionable ID cards on SET???

I always thought short time vs long time meant something else, but perhaps the terms are connected to an investement plan?

What's next, drive-thru ladyboy bars?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, please continue :-D

@Barry White on TF... I myself do invest money in stocks. Nothing bad, but the system should be understood.

I met some years ago a company owner, he made millions with growing his company. He totally declined that today everyone tries to make a fortune with investing. His words:

'If it's possible to make more money with investing than with 'real' work, then noone will work any more. Or only the stupid ones...'

@Barry White on TF... I myself do invest money in stocks. Nothing bad, but the system should be understood.

I met some years ago a company owner, he made millions with growing his company. He totally declined that today everyone tries to make a fortune with investing. His words:

'If it's possible to make more money with investing than with 'real' work, then noone will work any more. Or only the stupid ones...'

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Ask any rich person whether he would rather invest his money or work a job for someone else and I'm sure he would rather invest.

There's investing and there's trying to time the market. Some people consider the later investing but for most who dabble in it it is nothing more than buying lottery tickets and seeing if they pay off.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Ask any rich person whether he would rather invest his money or work a job for someone else and I'm sure he would rather invest.

There's investing and there's trying to time the market. Some people consider the later investing but for most who dabble in it it is nothing more than buying lottery tickets and seeing if they pay off.

There is strong linkage between production and financial sector. Theoretically, how financial sector will perform resulting from how well production part prevails. If you are good at trading stocks, it is likely that you are working hard and doing a good job at the same time.
I don't read about Warren Buffett 's legend yet, he is known for a very successful investor. I think, he only increases his wealth by investing in the valuable listed companies. Edited by FarangFarang
Grammar correction!

Nope, i also refer to long term. To take it for granted that the general indices will grow with an average of 10-15% over the next 30, or 50 or 100 years surprises me. Why? Coz it was like this the last 50 years? Problem is that the world today is a bit different then it was 50 years ago.

Mathematics is just a methode to describe, analize, understand,.. a system. Thats why its working quite well for technical and scientific systems.

Financial (not the calculation of ur daily spending) somehow involves human beings (as investors, as consumers, as producers,..) .... and for any pediction, 100% sure, u have to know how they will behave...for the next 40 years. I even dont know what some girls will do next day....

But pure mathematics: If you want a 10% return (without any inflation) for the next 40 years with ur stocks...

The index has to go up ~45 times. If no bubble.. Thai GDB will go up 45 times??

50 years ago the world was big, no limits. Unfortunately we live in a system based on growth. And in a world with limited space, resources, ... growth is not possible for ever. 100% sure :-)

I don't question your pure mathematics 's concepts as long as you keep making profits, I am happy for you. Oh I hope you give some money for charity too

They actually list girls with questionable ID cards on SET???

I always thought short time vs long time meant something else, but perhaps the terms are connected to an investement plan?

What's next, drive-thru ladyboy bars?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, please continue :-D

Please do so, I enjoy hijacking once in a while.

Cash is King again.... wait, if you have it sit on it till we see a really serious crash.

Personally the only sure fire bet is Asian property for me, until we get stuck into this next slump my money will stay in my pocket.

Cash is crucial. And I prefer day trading for SET too. Hey, if you are interested, it will be a event of condominium sale for investment purpose along the BTS lines.

I've done well in commodities, gold and silver. Sold my house of 30 yrs in 05 and put most of the equity into gold, then later silver. Enclosed is an article from the guru of Kitco, where I have most of my allocation funds. Check out his current eval of the situation.

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Nadler/aug182011.html

Nice!. I bet you make lots of money from that so far.

Gold is pretty far out of reach now for the average investor, but silver is still affordable. Both commodities have been very very good to me so far. I day traded the gold for awhile, but have let it ride since it went over $1000 an oz. What I really like about both commodities is you can either physically posess them or leave them in an allocation fund and day trade when the bull market rolls in your favor. If you posess coins, you must secure them well.

Gold is pretty far out of reach now for the average investor, but silver is still affordable. Both commodities have been very very good to me so far. I day traded the gold for awhile, but have let it ride since it went over $1000 an oz. What I really like about both commodities is you can either physically posess them or leave them in an allocation fund and day trade when the bull market rolls in your favor. If you posess coins, you must secure them well.

You are right. I will learn to invest and trade in Silver. I shouldn't be lazy making money, should I? Also, another RED day for SETs. It seems property stocks was doing ok resulting from ongoing low interest rate policy, but still don't have enough weighst in my portfolio yet. I know, we can't beat the market, I only want to have direct experience so I can remember!