Thai Bank Account

Treborz

Question

9 answers to this question

Is it possible for a foreigner not living in Thailand to open a bank account with a Thai bank?

If so what do they usually require?

No. That's the short answer.

First off, every bank seems to have differing requirements but for the most part what Thai banks look at when you open a bank account are:

1. Visa type. Some require a long-term non-immigrant visa like educational or work related. That being said, you can get a bank account on nothing more than a tourist visa (I've done it) but that's if you have everything else. You throw them any curve balls and they'll fall back on the visa type as the reason why they can't open a bank account for you.

2. Address. Do you have an address in Thailand?

3. Your physical presence. You need to sign the signature cards and such in front of a bank rep so they know that it's your signature. Technically, I suppose you could have a notary validate your signature but every curve ball you throw them the less likely they are to do it since it complicates things.

Go to a Kasikorn Branch ,just bring your passport abd a thai mobile nr .and some money to put in account

I did open a new account nnow in july in Kasikorn Central festival Pattaya just had my passport with a 30 day tourist visa ,thai mobile nr. some money to put in the account and use the adress of my hotel . no problem was out in 15 minutes with visa electron and internet banking

I agree that Kasikorn is the easiest, but it's not an easy task overall. If it doesn't work out, think of a close/trustworthy friend that can do it for you. You will need someone local to take care of random condo problems as they come up, and hopefully you have designated someone to do that for you already. If you can, use that person.

I haven't designated anyone to do that for me yet as it hasn't been built yet, due for completion April 2013. The developer has been approached by several management companies though so i will probably just use whoever they give a site office too.

I'll probably be making a trip to Thailand in January so will try and open an account at Kasikorn as suggested,