Is Thai too vague?

FarangFarang

I have an idea, why don't we write "A Guide to Women's language"?

Or how about teach women how to state things clearly.

When making a plan to go to the supermarket...

Correct: We are going to the supermarket in one hour

Incorrect: I think we're getting low on milk

When you don't feel well...

Correct: I don't feel well

Incorrect: I'm fine

I think we find Thai difficult because we don't understand the subtleties.

But this applies at least as much to English for non-native speakers who don't understand OUR tones and stresses.

I was once asked to analyse a sentence and the effect that stress had on its meaning....

He told me that Julia had borrowed the video.

At first glance it has one meaning. But once we start adding stress the meaning changes considerably.

eg

I realised that as well as the initial meaning, we could stress every single word and change its meaning. Therefore one nine-word sentence has TEN meanings!

And we complain about five tones.

I think we find Thai difficult because we don't understand the subtleties.

But this applies at least as much to English for non-native speakers who don't understand OUR tones and stresses.

I was once asked to analyse a sentence and the effect that stress had on its meaning....

At first glance it has one meaning. But once we start adding stress the meaning changes considerably.

eg

I realised that as well as the initial meaning, we could stress every single word and change its meaning. Therefore one nine-word sentence has TEN meanings!

And we complain about five tones.

Oh Mae Jao... Never know about it before kha p'Dave, the English teachers never talk about it seriously.

Thks for information.

Oh Mae Jao... Never know about it before kha p'Dave, the English teachers never talk about it seriously.

Thks for information.

The stress changes the meaning of the sentence....

A simple example...

She loves cats. Easy to understand...

But

She loves cats. That particular girl loves cats. The girl is the important part.

She loves cats. She loves cats more than is usual. The verb is the most important part.

She loves cats. She loves cats as opposed to dogs or fish or any other object. Here cats are the most important part.

Not all sentences work like this. But for native speakers, stress is important and subtle. We also use tone in many ways, to change the meaning of the sentence - from sincere to sarcastic.

Sometimes Germans, French and Russians are perceived to be rude. Often it's simply because they use stress incorrectly or not at all.

But often they are just rude.

Rob always gives me crap about this one but I use English stresses in Thai. For instance, when asking a question I tend to put a rising tone on the last word or two (usually mai) like you would in English to change a statement to a question.

For instance:

You went to the store

You went to the store? = Did you go to the store?

Rob always gives me crap about this one but I use English stresses in Thai. For instance, when asking a question I tend to put a rising tone on the last word or two (usually mai) like you would in English to change a statement to a question.

For instance:

You went to the store

You went to the store? = Did you go to the store?

I give you crap about everything...it's hard to keep up with it all. Putting stresses on the end of words in Thai to ask a question would be retarded.

Do you want to eat?

Correct = Pai gin cao maiiii?
Incorrect = Pai gin caoooo?

The last one would mean, "Go eat him." or maybe that's what you wanted to say...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
English is a very precise language.

That rather depends on who's using it. Recently I was reprimanded for teaching the word 'mug' to students (a standard flashcard, definitely a mug and nothing like a cup...) because the Australian trainer says it's a cup and the American teachers all teach cup...

In more recent years I had to adjust to replace the word 'ill' with 'sick' - very different meanings in my book, but 'sick' is the preferred word (to cover all manner of ills) by Americans and Thai's prefer to limit their studies. (Ill is altogether more serious, you can be VERY sick after drinking too much vodka - it's not likely to make you ill).

As a native English speaker... sorry, they're all natives... better rephrase that...

How can I differentiate?

As an uptight a**hole, I am offended when people show pictures of plates and teach 'dish' so that it can rhyme with 'fish' and fail to differentiate between saucers and plates - and especially between 'cup and saucer' and 'mug and plate' should be an extremely obvious one in my opinion... in Thai this is very clearly distinguished also (Mug would be a flagon, like a jug - เหยือก whilst Cup is smaller, the shape you make with your hands (in Thai ถ้วย) measuring maybe 237ml.)

Thai's are similarly vague - it seems the whole world desires to pursue this path... My partner sometimes makes comments (whilst out of my view) or asks questions along the lines of 'have you seen where the thing is?' preferring to stick with pronouns rather than fishing for the appropriate noun.

At other times it's very annoying - a towel is called 'cloth dry body' only when that is what she wants to do. Otherwise she might ask for exactly what she wants - like a special cloth for wiping breast-milk spills from bottles (nappy) or special cloth for wiping baby's face (nappy) and I have to realise that it's just a muslin square (I call them nappies, but we don't use them for his toileting...)

For me, it's normal for a 5 year old to extend 'car' to cover vans and trucks (over-extension is a tool to use existing language when you do not yet possess the vocabulary required) and proceed to perhaps try to add to this, perhaps with descriptions, to clarify... but for adults to prefer this is beyond me. It's crazy and confusing at the best of times.

Thai's are expert at being more vague than we ever could manage - but it seems foreigners are working hard to catch up. It reminds me of the term 'dumbing down' and it appears we're all working to become a bunch of bumbling idiots.

I would say it's not much over 230 ml. 233 at most.

ROFL - actually on my Dr Brown bottles 8 oz hits the mark at around 237ml, and 8oz is 1 cup... Using American measurements here, 1 cup is 8oz right? Yet another reason why I'd rather stick to metric measurements instead of vagiaries, everything is vague.

ROFL - actually on my Dr Brown bottles 8 oz hits the mark at around 237ml, and 8oz is 1 cup... Using American measurements here, 1 cup is 8oz right? Yet another reason why I'd rather stick to metric measurements instead of vagiaries, everything is vague.

Vagaries: def. (noun). When a man meets more than one ovulating woman, he has met vagaries.