Hesitating to help

Admin_2

When disasters such as this flood or the tsunami come, we know that many Thais are ready to come and help in different ways. Thais also like to make merit at the temple on special and regular days alike.

However, when it comes to accidents in Thailand, and I'm sure I'd be guilty of this too, Thais hesitate to help. The reason I would hesitate in Thailand as well is because there are countless stories where good samaritans come to help and end up getting in trouble just for being involved!

This all came back to me when I saw that horrible video of the two year old in China getting run over twice and only receiving help after almost 20 people passed her by. We had a thread on this subject before, but I couldn't find it.

"Many people in China are hesitant to help people who appear to be in distress for fear that they will be blamed," Reuters' Martina wrote in his report. "High-profile law suits have ended with good Samaritans ordered to pay hefty fines to individuals they sought to help."

I'm glad that I was never put in that situation while in Thailand, and feel like my family is a lot more safe here in the US should the unfortunate occur. I'm wondering if people think that the "hesitate to help" mentality will ever change. Also...what's scary about it for Thais? Is it the fear of blood and death or the fear of getting into trouble with the police?

For me, it was the fear of getting into trouble with the police.

When disasters such as this flood or the tsunami come, we know that many Thais are ready to come and help in different ways. Thais also like to make merit at the temple on special and regular days alike.

However, when it comes to accidents in Thailand, and I'm sure I'd be guilty of this too, Thais hesitate to help. The reason I would hesitate in Thailand as well is because there are countless stories where good samaritans come to help and end up getting in trouble just for being involved!

This all came back to me when I saw that horrible video of the two year old in China getting run over twice and only receiving help after almost 20 people passed her by. We had a thread on this subject before, but I couldn't find it.

I'm glad that I was never put in that situation while in Thailand, and feel like my family is a lot more safe here in the US should the unfortunate occur. I'm wondering if people think that the "hesitate to help" mentality will ever change. Also...what's scary about it for Thais? Is it the fear of blood and death or the fear of getting into trouble with the police?

Yep, that's a sad fact that worries me, too. But I was also told that people in Southeast Asia (not only Thailand) are not shy in any way to ransack helpless victims of an accident before continuing their way or joining the crowd.

I think they afraid getting into trouble with the police..If they are involve If the case go to the court they must going to be the witness which is they don't want too..waste their time i think ..if we saw accident like happened with a Chinese little girl which Rob mention above i don't think any Thais will hesitate to help i guarantee you with my Thai blood.

Only a few days ago I witnessed a toddler getting hit by a motorbike in a Big C car park. There were plenty of people on hand to assist and the toddler seemed fine despite being bundled over. What struck me was that the blame was lain on the motorbike rider, who was clearly shook up and apologetic. In my mind the blame is on the parents for letting their child wander freely in a car park and I could not understand why the father was not being berated as he tried several times to attack the rider.

A similar incident I recall in a village where a two year old girl was killed by a pick-up. It was night time and the driver had called into a shop to buy some items. When he left he got into the pick-up reversed a little and attempted to go on his way. However, completely unknown to the driver the two year old had left the shop and had gone behind the vehicle. Again, the driver was seen as the villain, particularly in the early stages, and not the parents who let their child wander out onto a road alone in the dark. It was subsequently sorted out by village elders and a local policeman - and yes! a significant sum of money exchanged hands.

I guess it is understandable why some people do not get involved because they simply do not want to get involved because of how complicated matters can become for them.

Happens lots here.