Your best vacation so far?

Down2Earth

I went to Thailand in March. Very nice people and country. I took the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I went treking in the Hill tribe country. I then flew to Phuket and home.

The only thing I don't like it that some Thais try to take advantage of tourists.

:oops:

a couple of years ago, i got an all-asia pass and mostly visited friends throughout asia. i went to india, tokyo, korea, china, and thailand, in that order.

i lost my passport in shanghai and ended up spending about 6 weeks in china.it didnt take that long to get a new one, but changing the flight was about a thousand dollars cheaper if i waited until high season was over.

i pretty much enjoyed everything about the trip except my trip to thailand. i was coming off a bad cold i picked up in china. getting through the airport was stressful, i had a fever and they were screening for SARS. turned out to be no problem.

my thailand travel plans were influenced by someone who, in retrospect, is kinda sleazy. an friend's ex bf... anyway i stayed at his recommended hotel, the dynasty, aka die nasty. it is right next to nana, and the back building always has hookers waiting in the lobby trying to pick you up. they are a sad, scary lot and looked like drug addicts.

then per evil ed's advice, on to pattaya, where not only did i experience some of the worst diving anywhere (no visibility and all the coral was dead from the **** being pumped into the ocean). what's worse, i still had that cold but didnt know it and my head exploded when i got to six meters deep. the whole reason i went to pattaya was to save time (and/or airfare) and complete some diving courses in a hurry so i could be an instructor. that's all out the window, i injured my ears.

i didnt like going to bars in pattaya coz i didnt find any where the hookers would leave me alone, i just wanted to drink and sulk. i did find a pretty good seafood restaurant, so that made things kinda all right.

yet somehow, after all that, i ended up coming back to thailand... go figure...

The best holiday I've ever had was to the Greek island of Crete, when I was 20 years old.

I went with 10 mates, so all that was on the aganda was beaches, booze and birds. :P

It was great fun when I was 20 years old. Don't know if I could handle the pace anymore.

These days I look for a bit more luxury and relaxation when on holiday. :)

my thailand travel plans were influenced by someone who, in retrospect, is kinda sleazy. an friend's ex bf... anyway i stayed at his recommended hotel, the dynasty, aka die nasty. it is right next to nana, and the back building always has hookers waiting in the lobby trying to pick you up. they are a sad, scary lot and looked like drug addicts.

then per evil ed's advice, on to pattaya,

i didnt like going to bars in pattaya coz i didnt find any where the hookers would leave me alone, i just wanted to drink and sulk. i did find a pretty good seafood restaurant, so that made things kinda all right.

yet somehow, after all that, i ended up coming back to thailand... go figure...

nana and pattaya r probably not going to give a favourable impression of thailand. i've been coming here since 1998 and living here since 2003. love samui, although it is getting over developed. also enjoyed ao nang and koh samet.

er ... if it's count last weekend my 3 days 2 nights (but more sound's like 2 days 2 nights for me ..

it's was wonderful .. my frist time in Koh samet yippii :P see more in my journal

but the real frist vacation it was Nov 2003 my frist time In koh Phangan been crazy there for a little while. i got a good guide, good friends, good time, see so many part of koh phagnan, actually all over island, every little water fall, fullmoon party .. and my friends are handsome , lol.

when it's start good and it's always good in my memories :)

:? i don't have the best vacation yet... mostly, i took vacation to somewhere not far from BKK. cuz i can't have long holiday. Especially, this time i can't move my big butt to anywhere. Only way i escape from BKK is Bang Bua Thong, Nonthaburi... :cry: that's fair enough, better than nothing.

atleast it has clean air, clear sky, rice field and many birds down there

DSCF4485.jpg

not really a vacation but an assignement for french tv , i went to yemen in 1997. its a country full of stunning landscapes. impressive because people are all armed . more about my trip and yemen there at

http://thailander.com/newsmedia/reporters/index.html

note this site has not been uptated in a while as i lost track with the owner , my email adress mentioned in the article is not working anymore also.

My first time hitch hiking during songkran in 2004 with my friends to Sungklaburi in Kanchanaburi.

Stayed over on the first night in a Karen Village. Funny thing is that we went there and asked the head of the village for a place to stay, and food to eat. Asked a monk to be our guide, and bathed in a stream.

Then we hitched a ride to the border. We crossed to Myanmar and celebrated a soaking wet songkran there. The people there gave us dessert that especially made only to celebrate the new year, and also the food that they made to give alms to the monk only on special occasions. All for free of charge.

Then we stay over night at this one bungalow and then celebrated the last day of songkran at a mon village.

It took 12 cars/trucks/off-roads to get us there and back to BKK.

I experienced kindness that I've never thought existed in Thai society. I saw different way of life where money is not all that matters. I saw children who were still innnocent and not corrupted by media and materialistic world.

Priceless experince! ^_^

I hate to say, but my best vacation yet was my honeymoon in the Philippines in May-June 1991... :oops: (It's all over now...)

For 5 weeks I was totally out of reach all over the country (no mobile, no Internet, no NOTHING!!!), but I was mostly in the North where we went to see the rice terraces. When we came back to Manila we were surprised that many roads were closed and that it was so troublesome to get back to Manila. Once we arrive in Manila, the ground was covered with ashes and most people were wearing dust masks... Then someone told us... 'Didn't you hear? The Pinatubo volcano!'

We were right in the 'hot spot' during our honeymoon and we didn't know that the whole World was watching us and my parents desperately trying to contact me for days! He! He! He! The volcano was in our honeymoon bedroom! :twisted:

Nine months later our daughter was born... 8)

it was new year 1998 (i guess) I went to the beach with my aunt - uncle and lil cousin. It was a new year celebration at the hotel we stayed. Wonderful atmostphere with people i love and also those happy strangers.... fantastic!

that only once in my life that i got a chance to celebrate new year with my aunt.

• 4 weeks later...
I have been lucky to have had numerous long vacations (paid for from buying Microsoft at the IPO) and I tended to island hop a lot. The best of those had to be French Polynesia. I flew into Tahiti and then to Bora Bora. Landed on a small coral atoll just off the island, as the island is too mountainous to have an airport. Dolphins greeted the boat as we made our way across the lagoon.

After an extended trip there I went to the island of Moorea which is a wonder of mountains, beaches and coves. All the islands have these wonderful lagoons of still, clear water where u can see forever.

It is easily the most beautiful place I have ever been.

Yes, I couldn't agree more! Thailand is great, but for a laid-back island, swimming and diving experience it can't be compared to French Polynesia! The downside as I'm sure you found out is that it's also one of the most expensive places in the world to visit. If I could, I'd go back in a heartbeat! It's true paradise!

Steven80 : that sounds like fun. And hoping u can come back and post on this topic again after thailand trip that Thailand is the best trip ever! hehe

And here i am again to tell you that the past 3 weeks in Thailand was the best trip ever, maybe even the best 3 weeks of my life :D. No work, wonderful coutnry and perfect company :wink: The weather was also good.Specially now i'm back in rainy Belgium, busy at work i realize how fantastic it was.I guess the pics in my profile tell the whole story. I'll be back there soon! :D

I see it in your eyes Steven!!! I'm glad you had fun.Looking forward on coming back to Thailand again soon,don't ya? :lol: Maybe i will get to see you next time!