Gov Takes a Break From Floods To Pass Bill Granting Amnesty to Thaksin

FarangFarang

Good thing that these guys have their priorities straight.

Opposition demands explanation of amnesty decree

Published: 16/11/2011 at 04:52 PM

Online news: Politics

The opposition will on Thursday ask the government to explain to the House of Representatives Tuesday's secret cabinet resolution endorsing a royal decree for non-conditional amnesty for convicts on His Majesty the King's birthday, Democrat chief whip Jurin Laksanavisit said on Wednesday.

It was reported that the decree, which was approved behind closed doors and not explained, would amnesty convicted felons over 60 serving jail sentences of three years or less.

Mr Jurin said it seemed the royal decree was designed specifically to benefit former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who fled the country before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions sentenced him to two years imprisonment in 2008 for abuse of power for helping his then wife Khunying Potjaman Na Pombejra buy state-owned land in the Ratchadaphisek area.

Mr Jurin said after a meeting of opposition whips that the government was required to inform the public whether the cabinet had endorsed the royal decree as reported.

If this was so, the government could be seen as having taken the opportunity to sneakily approve the decree, which is to take effect on Dec 5 after royal approval, for the benefit of just one person at a time when the people of Thailand were distracted by the suffering from the devastating floods.

"Instead of giving priority to helping flood-hit people, the government gives more importance to bringing just one man home," the chief opposition whip said.

Mr Jurin said what was of most concern was the fact that the government had changed the standards of eligibility for seeking royal amnesty.

The normal criteria required that convicts serve some time in jail first and those found guilty of drug and corruption offences were not eligible to seek a royal pardon, but the cabinet had omitted these conditions from the latest decree.

"This shows the government attaches no importance to suppression of corruption. From now on, whoever is convicted of corruption can seek royal amnesty," Mr Jurin said.

The opposition Democrat Party's shadow cabinet also held a meeting today to discuss this matter.

Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, the Democrat leader, said the decree seeking royal amnesty for convicts was not acceptable to his party in its current form and should be reviewed.

He said the decree was destructive to the rule of law and could bring about another political crisis since it was obviously intended to benefit ousted prime minister Thaksin.

The party would oppose the decree to the end and would demand the government clarify it in the House of Representatives, he said.

The former premier called on the Council of State to examine the draft royal decree carefully, and said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should explain clearly to the public whether the government would proceed with this matter.

The Democrat Party believed the matter should and could be reviewed because the process of passing the decree into law was not yet complete, Mr Abhisit said.

Shadow cabinet deputy secretary Buranat Samutarak, a Democrat list MP, said it was obvious that Ms Yingluck intentionally avoided yesterday's cabinet meeting, leaving Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung to chair the meeting on her behalf.

The discussion of the decree at the meeting was held in secret, with all staff ordered out, reports said.

Mr Buranat said most cabinet members kept their mouths shut, refusing to comment, but none of them had denied the amnesty decree had been approved.

Leaving out the prerequisites for being granted amnesty showed a blatant intention by the executive branch to help Thaksin.

This was inappropriate since the matter was taken up for consideration while the people were suffering from the flood, and was also destructive to the rule of law, he said.

"Prime Minister Yingluck can't deny knowing of this matter and must clearly say whether or not she agrees to the passage of the amnesty decree.

"All government agencies concerned including the Cabinet Secretariat, Corrections Department, and Office of the Council of State must clearly outline the substance of the decree to the public.

"The shadow cabinet has asked the opposition whips to seek clarification from the government in the House of Representatives," Mr Buranat said.

Asked whether the decree could lead to renewed public unrest, Mr Buranat did not answer the question directly. He said only that the matter could affect both national security and the rule of law.

The public should first give the government and Prime Minister Yingluck the chance to explain, he said.

Mr Buranat said the attempt by cabinet members to conceal this matter from the public was very unusual and must be clarified.

Yellow-shirt key figure Sondhi Limthongkul said the draft royal decree seeking amnesty for Thaksin is intended to break the rule of law and apply pressure on His Majesty the King.

A co-founder of the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the media mogul strongly condemned the Pheu Thai-led government for its action in approving the draft decree, saying it was clear that the party was trying to help just one person, and using "dirty" politics to do it.

The PAD would not stand still and do nothing. Its core members were carefully examing the draft decree before holding a meeting to consider the PAD's next moves, he said.

PAD spokesman Panthep Pongpuapan said the yellow-shirt group will meet next week to consider their position. First and second generation leaders will be present.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung remained tight-lipped about the details of the royal decree seeking amnesty for convicts on the King's birthday, saying that it is still highly secret.

Mr Chalerm said the draft royal decree is now being considered by a 20-member committee set up by the Justice Ministry.

The government could not interfere in the work of the committee, or give it any instruction.

What is more important is that it is within His Majesty the King's power to decide whether the amnesty decree should be approved, Mr Chalerm said.

He gave an assurance the government would definitely not break the law.

Speaking in defence of the prime minister, Mr Chalerm said she could not attend yesterday's cabinet meeting because she was engaged elsewhere.

It was normal practice for a deputy prime minister to act on behalf of an absent prime minister.

He had to chair the cabinet meeting because Deputy Prime Ministers Kittiratt Na Ranong and Yongyuth Wichaidit were also absent.

Commentators have suggested the prime minister was deliberately absent.

On the opposition's plan to question the government and demand an explanation in the House of Representatives tomorrow, Mr Chalerm said he would study the House meeting regulations to see if he would be able to speak on a matter which is still regarded as secret.

United front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) co-leader Shinawatra Habunpad said it was only right that Thaksin should receive royal amnesty because he was unfairly treated by the assets committee formed by the coup makers.

Mr Shinawatra said the Ratchadaphisek land purchase, for which Thaksin was convicted and sentenced to two years in prison, had not caused any damage to the state.

Khunying Potjaman bought the land through a bidding process and had paid for the full cost, the red-shirt core member said.

He said the land had since been returned to the state and this was proof that the Ratchadaphisek land case was purely political.

He said the cabinet’s resolution yesterday approving a royal amnesty decree that would include Thaksin was not aimed at helping Thaksin, but was for all convicts who are 60 years old and over.

If this causes protests in the streets or another coup, I'm not sure Thailand can even recover economically. Between the floods and this . . . who the hell would be crazy enough to pour money into Thailand?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They fcuked up in their heads. And now our PM can not stand the heat on her own, she let "Chaleam Yoobumrung" taking care of it.

If the list submitted to the King and he refused to sign, can you imagine how those Red would react? And if the King approved, those anti-Thaksin ganges will protest. Move out of Thailand while you can Beej and Ciaran...things will get nasty after the flood crisis. Look at Bill and Rob, they moved... They must know about this nasty **** Long before and keep it secret from you.

This annoys the fk out of me. Why doesn't anyone actually ask some direct question to these ***** who are arranging this? Ask questions so they can't just say "no, we're not doing that" or "we are not accepting questions about Thaksin". Push them into a public debate about it so people can see more than the just the answers given.

It would be beneficial to Thais if they had Prime Ministers Questions like what we have in the UK, where the arguing is highly entertaining but they ask direct questions and the PM can't say "no, I won't speak about it".

If that **** comes back, there will be a whole new type of rioting that Thailand has yet to see. I wonder what Laos is like at that time of year.

They fcuked up in their heads. And now our PM can not stand the heat on her own, she let "Chaleam Yoobumrung" taking care of it.

If the list submitted to the King and he refused to sign, can you imagine how those Red would react? And if the King approved, those anti-Thaksin ganges will protest. Move out of Thailand while you can Beej and Ciaran...things will get nasty after the flood crisis. Look at Bill and Rob, they moved... They must know about this nasty shit Long before and keep it secret from you.

Actually Nicky, Yingluck did not let Chaleam take care of it. Her and her brother think the Thai people are so stupid they will believe she had nothing to do with it and was totally unaware of it because she was out of town.

This is how much respect Thaksin and the PT party have for the Thai people.

Actually Nicky, Yingluck did not let Chaleam take care of it. Her and her brother think the Thai people are so stupid they will believe she had nothing to do with it and was totally unaware of it because she was out of town.

Sad but true. At first I was pissed then I swore a bit, now I just say **** it. I don't live there any more and when my family fed up with this ****, they will move. It hurt me to say this..but the country got the government it deserves!

This annoys the fk out of me. Why doesn't anyone actually ask some direct question to these cunts who are arranging this? Ask questions so they can't just say "no, we're not doing that" or "we are not accepting questions about Thaksin". Push them into a public debate about it so people can see more than the just the answers given.

It would be beneficial to Thais if they had Prime Ministers Questions like what we have in the UK, where the arguing is highly entertaining but they ask direct questions and the PM can't say "no, I won't speak about it".

If that twat comes back, there will be a whole new type of rioting that Thailand has yet to see. I wonder what Laos is like at that time of year.

I agree but it wasn't that long ago that Samak used to belittle reporters who asked serious questions. He told them they didn't know how to do their job. He asked one female reporter about her sex life in a room full of press because she dared to ask him a question he wasn't comfortable answering.

I agree but it wasn't that long ago that Samak used to belittle reporters who asked serious questions. He told them they didn't know how to do their job. He asked one female reporter about her sex life in a room full of press because she dared to ask him a question he wasn't comfortable answering.

LOL Samak was a masterpiece!

well is it lack of respect ... or just knowing how ******* dumb these ppl really are ... i wonder if the families of those killed during the red shirts demonstrations will think it was all worth it knowing that Toksin can come back !!!

as if Thailand needs another robbing, thieving, lying, murdering scumbag !!!!

To be honest, you might think I'm a cruel *****, but my idea is, stupid, greedy, people who have no brain should be banned from voting. Gosh!!

i reckon ppl should have to pass some kind of IQ test before they r allowed to vote .... they should also have to pass a test and have proof of sufficient funds available before they r allowed to have kids !!!

btw ... not just in Thailand .... everywhere !!!

Hey! That was MY idea a few years ago! Didn't you argue the opposite with me? Or did you argue it was unworkable?

i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have argued against that idea ... unless i was just winding u up .... but i think it's crazy u need a license for a TV and/or a dog .... u have to pass a test before u can drive a car unaccompanied .... u need (usually) some proof of income to buy a house, get a loan or credit card .... yet any fuckwit can knock out kids !!! and if u don't have any money the state (tax payers like me and U ... well when we were in uk) pays for ur house and living expenses ... that's ******* madness !!

To be honest, you might think I'm a cruel bitch, but my idea is, stupid, greedy, people who have no brain should be banned from voting. Gosh!!

They don't even know what's right or wrong.

Thailand has way too much of these kind of people.

Yingluck won 264 of 500 parliament seats. That means that these stupid and greedy people are the majority in Thailand. There are more of them than there are of you.

The government will not release details of the draft decree for amnesty before it is endorsed by the palace, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said yesterday, adding that it needed to be kept confidential to avoid public debate.

"Every pardon is granted at each government's discretion and there is no law dictating that every pardon should be the same," he said in his rebuttal to an urgent motion filed by the Democrats.

Chalerm said the decree would be within legal boundaries and that the draft was not designed to favour a single individual, like former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He added that the government was relying on a draft prepared by a Justice Ministry panel that was formed under the previous Democrat-led administration.

The draft is being kept confidential due to several factors, such as an incomplete drafting process and vetting by the Council of State, he said, adding that he could face impeachment proceedings if he disclosed details about a Cabinet debate held behind closed doors.

Chalerm added that a debate on the subject could cause confusion because the enforcement of pardon provisions might differ from the draft. He said there were several cases in which royal clemency was granted despite opposition from the Justice Ministry.

Democrat MP Satit Wongnongtaey said he wanted an explanation as to why the government had departed from the legal tradition of granting pardon to a broader group of individuals rather than just those sentenced by the judiciary. He voiced suspicion that the new classification was meant to apply to fugitives like Thaksin.

He also criticised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and said she was being irresponsible by finding a pretext to stay away from the Cabinet debate.

Meanwhile, Tul Sitthisomwong, leader of the multi-coloured shirts, lodged a complaint with the Council of State against the draft decree. He said opponents of the decree would hold a rally at Lumpini Park today to air their opposition to pardoning Thaksin.

Rak Santi Party leader Purachai Piumsombun said the Cabinet debate on pardon should not be kept confidential because it would have an impact on a large number of people.

"Thaksin was a police cadet and should remain a gentleman," he said, adding that royal pardon should only be granted to those who show remorse and are not fugitives. He added that during his time as interior minister in Thaksin's reign, he had advised against pardon sought by a daughter for her fugitive father.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-public-debate-allowed-in-secret-draft-on-amnest-30170095.html