Thailand #3 Country for Murder by Gun?

FarangFarang

Question

13 answers to this question

Interesting stat that I was a little surprised by since you hear so much about traffic fatalities and so little about firearm deaths but supposedly Thailand ranks #3 in the world in terms of death by firearms.

I have real doubts (as many of the posters do) as to the reliability of those figures. Looking over the murder rates for Thailand (all murders) the figure seems to vary between about 7 and 8.7 per 100,000 people. Given these figures are from 2002, and Thailand's population that year was around 64.3 million, even taking the murder rate at its highest (8.7) gives total murders of under 6,000. So how the hell do they work out over 20,000 murders? This seems to be a common mistake on this page - note the Slovakia comments made.

Yeah, it seemed a little off.

On the other hand, the stats you posted from the UN are from where? Thailand is still a place where a buy with both arms bound behind his back and a plastic bag over his head is declared a suicide. :-) It seems the numbers are what is reported by law enforcement and what is listed as a cause of death. Not sure you can get very accurate numbers using those two sources.

Yeah, it seemed a little off.

On the other hand, the stats you posted from the UN are from where? Thailand is still a place where a buy with both arms bound behind his back and a plastic bag over his head is declared a suicide. :-) It seems the numbers are what is reported by law enforcement and what is listed as a cause of death. Not sure you can get very accurate numbers using those two sources.

Think the main issue is the link you posted is severely questioned for a number of countries. No doubt there are undeclared murders for many countries and Thailand will be no different (thinking of Toxin's crack down on drug dealers specifically here). But even with expected discrepancies, the figure they post is 400% greater than my approximation. Strange that nationmaster also claims their source as UN surveys though!

Would be interesting to know the extent of the illegal gun market. Given the history of war etc in the surrounding countries, and the reputation of corruption within Thailand itself, I wonder how many guns are on the streets that have no documentation whatsoever.

If the red shirt protests were any indication it seems that handguns, rifles, and grenade launchers are pretty easy to come by.