kaunitz

Umm, so this is leaving the wife/girlfriend home, and not considering the good train, or VIP bus travel? Rented taxi/car with driver gets expensive. Organize your own tour, and take first class/second class sleeper on the train, or regular train for short close trips (it is real cheap), or VIP bus, they go most everywhere, with some form of regular bus going everywhere.

For an example a taxi to Ayutthaya is about bt1200, or you can take the 1 1/2 hour train for bt30 (Thais right now still ride for free), then rent a motorbike right across from the train station for bt200 for the day. Return before dark, and another bt30 back to Bangkok. Neither of these options include drinks, food, and park entrance fees. This is just an example of planning yourself.

For an example a taxi to Ayutthaya is about bt1200, or you can take the 1 1/2 hour train for bt30 (Thais right now still ride for free), then rent a motorbike right across from the train station for bt200 for the day. Return before dark, and another bt30 back to Bangkok. Neither of these options include drinks, food, and park entrance fees. This is just an example of planning yourself.

But you also can take the minivan from Victory Monument which will be faster and not much more expensive than the train (about 50Baht as I remember, but I'm not too sure). Furthermore, it will drop you closer to the historical sites than the train!

But you also can take the minivan from Victory Monument which will be faster and not much more expensive than the train (about 50Baht as I remember, but I'm not too sure). Furthermore, it will drop you closer to the historical sites than the train!

From there, you can take a Tuk-Tuk to bring you to the several places and also, there is a kind of "sightseeing train on wheels" once you are in the center of gravity. Except fot the most famous places, I also would recommend the big lying Buddha (is a bit away from the center, Tuk-Tuks are a bit expensive but what are, let's say, 200 Baht for going to there and then back to the main attractions?