Stupid/Ignorant Drivers

kaunitz

"Unknown idiots around you".

Well, they are not close to you, you cannot hear or smell them. But in reality, they are here. They are sitting in a portion of other cars using the same road as you. Depending on the country, the percentage differs:

For Thailand, in the beginning, I would have guessed 70% or 80% but now, as I know how Thais are driving generally, I'm down to below 50%

Austria would be something between 30 and 40%, Germany a bit less and Switzerland a bit more

Dutch and Belgians as well as Italians are only able to drive in cities. On overland roads, they are deplorable.

Kosovo about 110% or more

Best experience, if I remember correctly, was New Zealand with about 10% idiots.

What is your opinion and experience about driving - in your home country as well as abroad?

In So Cal, the Vietnamese are horrible drivers. They will change 4 lanes right in front of you, regardless of traffic conditions. Plus they will roll in the "fast lane" on the freeway at 50mph and create traffic situations beyond belief.

When we were in Luang Prabang, Laos, I read and heard about the terrible road and driving conditions there (also my wife, who, as a Thai, is quite accustomed to Thai driving, told me that she felt uncomfortable on the bus during her last trip to Laos) and so we decided not to take the (11hrs) bus to Vientiane but to fly. Guess what happened... They nearly crashed one of their four brand new planes they got recently. Unfortunately, we were exactly on this one. I've never been experienced a worse landing like this without any weather conditions and we nearly flipped over to the right side.

So, Laos is a beautiful country - but how to travel there???

Was joking, But seriously, rather than nations, go by age. Young guys aged 18-25 are by far the worst!

You are definitely right once you take into consideration "our" people. But if you go to other countries - I am in Kosovo now - you will find out that many of those who drive a car there - no matter of age - have no clue what they are doing. Sometimes I really get the impression they just are more or less successfully trying to move a car from A to B without any thinking that someone else might be out there using the road at the same time. Well, to my experience, Kosovo is not the worst, but it gives you a lot of challenge (just had it this evening when driving from Pristina to Pec, some 90kms).

You are definitely right once you take into consideration "our" people. But if you go to other countries - I am in Kosovo now - you will find out that many of those who drive a car there - no matter of age - have no clue what they are doing. Sometimes I really get the impression they just are more or less successfully trying to move a car from A to B without any thinking that someone else might be out there using the road at the same time. Well, to my experience, Kosovo is not the worst, but it gives you a lot of challenge (just had it this evening when driving from Pristina to Pec, some 90kms).

E.g.: What I experienced here is that noone, and I repeat NOONE would pass a slower car at a section of the road where you can oversee everything. No. They will start overtaking when it comes to curves, intersections or other places that do not give you a good sight over the path you would have to go for the whole overtaking process. Problem for me: I have a robust car but the acceleration is quite bad (system of the 80's). So everybody wants to pass me before I can pass the one before me safely. Interestingly enough, during all these travels of mine, I never saw a head-on collision which should be anticipated due to the fact how people here are driving.

Again, I agree with you that generally people of the age of 18-24 are the most endangered "species" concerning road traffic accidents (as I - as I hav to admit - also was part of). But this counts for those countries that are considered to be "civilized". In other countries, even 60-year-olds are driving like hell.

• 1 month later...

I am not voting. Vietnam should be on this list! Thailand doesn't even rate.

Ummm... If you are really keen to find out what people think, you could redo the poll by making a thread asking for people to name their 3 worst countries first, to get a listing. The list is too European for many of us to even make a judgement, but it would be interesting if you could rework it.

Edited by Sathorn

In So Cal, the Vietnamese are horrible drivers. They will change 4 lanes right in front of you, regardless of traffic conditions. Plus they will roll in the "fast lane" on the freeway at 50mph and create traffic situations beyond belief.

Press Like...:D with my experienced

Why isn't 'women' a choice? ; )

Dislike disagree disappointed But still love you hehe

You must have had a really bad time here. I'm really enjoying Ho Chi Minh, but I could never see myself living here.

I Like Hanoi ,and absolute agree i could not live there either ,the city are clean more than Thailand but the drivers are all crazy..can you tell me why? it's must to have some reason..or they are in a hurry?

Press Like...:D with my experienced

Dislike disagree disappointed But still love you hehe

I Like Hanoi ,and absolute agree i could not live there either ,the city are clean more than Thailand but the drivers are all crazy..can you tell me why? it's must to have some reason..or they are in a hurry?

teehee

Only kidding. Women are great drivers but awful back seat drivers

teehee

Only kidding. Women are great drivers but awful back seat drivers

When I was in the pub I heard a couple of twats saying that they wouldn't feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman.

What a pair of sexist pigs. I mean, it's not as if she'd have to reverse the ******* thing !!

When I was in the pub I heard a couple of twats saying that they wouldn't feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman.

What a pair of sexist pigs. I mean, it's not as if she'd have to reverse the fucking thing !!

Wrong!

Most pilots have to reverse the plane once per flight. It could be disastrous, especially if there is water at the edge of the runway!

Wrong!

Most pilots have to reverse the plane once per flight. It could be disastrous, especially if there is water at the edge of the runway!

geeeezzzz .... how dumb r some ppl .... once the plane has been landed (using autopilot) someone who can drive properly (a man) will do any reversing ... or parking ... that is required !!!!

i thought everybody knew that !!! :rolleyes: