How to explain?

sunjena

Hi, everyone.

I have a stupid question to ask,sorry.

I have a american friends and I keep practices my english language wiht her.

Last week I found some problem about money, my wallet fall and made I lose a lot money.

I told her with the sad feeling and she through I want to borrow her money.

Absolute not!

I didn't want to borrow I just want to shared with my friends.

(Now, I got a new part-time for solve that problem. I'm fine.)

Well, she didn't understand and may be upset to me.

I really want to explain please show your support. I will try harder for practics.

Thank you

Jena

Maybe you worry without a reason here ? think its perfectly OK to talk with friends about things like that.

But worst case, just be honest about your worries and tell her that its important for you to make sure she didnt misunderstand you and thought you asked her for money, but that you only shared the story.

Nothing wrong that :)

Maybe you worry without a reason here ? think its perfectly OK to talk with friends about things like that.

But worst case, just be honest about your worries and tell her that its important for you to make sure she didnt misunderstand you and thought you asked her for money, but that you only shared the story.

Nothing wrong that :)

I agree! and likely there was a misunderstanding

Maybe share with her how you solved your loss (money) with the part-time job

and the misunderstanding added to your difficult time, since you were worried that she was unhappy with you.

let your friend know it is the friendship that has real value for you.

And be prepared for cultural and written misunderstandings...

written words cannot show the emotions that your voice can,

and our diiferent experiences set expectation that are unexpected....

but all this can make it fun too

Good luck

:-)

Thank you!!

Should I tell her about my part time job? Sound a good idea!!

When I try to think english word in my head before I say or write, I feel a confuse.

Sometime I had a wrong word and made my friend misunderstand.

Once again,Thank you.

Don't worry, it's easy to be misunderstood even when you use the right words in English. English is a language that doesn't always translate well in written words.

That said, unfortunately, what you said could easily be confused with what less honest girls might say when they are fishing for some money. No request for money ever starts with a request. It starts with a story about needing money. Then the other person is supposed to offer to "help."

That's why every farang knows the sick buffalo, the brother in the motorbike accident, the father needing an operation story. We've all been told a sad story that only our money can fix. LOL.

Obviously, that was not your intention but you can probably understand if you've heard enough of these "I have no money" stories that people's ears get tuned in as soon as the topic of money comes up. Any conversation about money will be viewed suspiciously until you make it clear that you have no intent to ask for the money from them.

As others have said, just mention getting a part-time job. As soon as your friend realizes this is not part of a scam and that you're responsibly dealing with your problems yourself, they'll let their guard down.

Edited by FarangFarang

Thank you!!

Should I tell her about my part time job? Sound a good idea!!

When I try to think english word in my head before I say or write, I feel a confuse.

Once again,Thank you.

hey jena, i think the guys on here gave you some very good advice and i think you should tell your friend the entire story and i think she will understand. i have same trouble when talking to thai friends, i try to think of right word but sometimes comes out wrong and the same with my friends.. they sometimes confuse me until we talk more and figure it out. if she's a good friend.. she will understand. take care

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry too much! I know my wife now for 13 years and we are together since 10 years. Still, we have misunderstandings because of English language (it's not mother tongue for both of us). So once we realize, we correct things by explaining in another way. It's troublesome and time consuming but part of the game and we both know it. So, after clarification, no big deal anymore :)

Obviously, that was not your intention but you can probably understand if you've heard enough of these "I have no money" stories that people's ears get tuned in as soon as the topic of money comes up. Any conversation about money will be viewed suspiciously until you make it clear that you have no intent to ask for the money from them.

This is the issue ja, not a misunderstanding of language, and it makes small difference where you come from.

You should read your friends and the type of things that you can discuss with them.

BTW no one wants to hear about anyone else's money problems, no matter how close friends they may be.

I still have my wallet, but I need money. Are there any rich girls out there who can take care?

Hey, I am rather impressed by the story. I don't meet a lot of girls like that!

NOT really making my post any better am I?

Hmmmm... Hi! Nice you meet you.

Nice to meet you too. Can I borrow 5 thousand baht please? Thanks.

• 7 years later...
On 3/15/2012 at 3:19 PM, bgwhynot said:

hey jena, i think the guys on here gave you some very good advice and i think you should tell your friend the entire story and i think she will understand. i have same trouble when talking to thai friends, i try to think of right word but sometimes comes out wrong and the same with my friends.. they sometimes confuse me until we talk more and figure it out. if she's a good friend.. she will understand. take care

Oh I bet u do bill u know all about Thai friends the one u cheated on ur wife with.and screwed ur family up.sure u know it all billy whynot.maybey thanwararat ur ex- girlfriend like see all times u hit on these girls on here and she see ur nothing but a dog looking for a cheap *****