Airfare is very high now

Nyfarang4u

Question

I live in Rochester NY and recently I have been checking on round trip tickets to Thailand. I can't believe the prices that I have been getting. Most sites now are in the average of $1600 US dollars. I remember about 3 years ago I bought a ticket for a little over $800 round trip.

Just curious if anyone knows ideas such as different times of the year, booking early or any other ideas to get cheaper tickets?

:oops:

14 answers to this question

I often book ticket to TH (from Europe) months before and I get at least 40% off from TG or SAS. I have a membership card and they often send emails when they have good offers. The other thing that many ppl here would do is to check last-minute cheap tickets (could be like 60% off) from the airport website but that means you have to be ready to fly the same day.

Edited by pandorea

advance booking always best; the further away from departure date the better. And high season prices always higher than low season. Shop around, try something like skyscanner or another good idea is to get 2 or 3 agents competing for your business. My first quote for my flights from August was just over £3000 . Bit of negotiation and competition got that down to £2400!

advance booking always best; the further away from departure date the better. And high season prices always higher than low season. Shop around, try something like skyscanner or another good idea is to get 2 or 3 agents competing for your business. My first quote for my flights from August was just over £3000 . Bit of negotiation and competition got that down to £2400!

It doesn't help that they have just upped the Air Passenger Duty. I have just paid £372 in taxes for one return flight to BKK. Thats going on for 20,000THB

Strange. Our flights from JFK to BKK on Emirates were 1200 USD each, booked about a month in advance on kayak.com. We could have gone with China Air for somewhere around 1000. Had we booked earlier, prices were south of 1000.

I highly recommend Emirates.

I'll second Emirates if you're on the east coast or Europe. Excellent airline. But a pain in the ass if you fly from the west coast and have to add about 10 hours to your flying time to go the wrong way around the world.

just looked on Kyack may 31, -- June 16; JFK to Bkk lowest was $1283 what a rip; a year ago $700 Wash DC to Bkk

Yeah, I don't think I've ever paid more than $1000 RT from California except my last trip. Usually prices were in the $800 range. And that was flying on THAI or Singapore Air which aren't the cheapest flights.

From Europe (via LHR), the norm was about £600 - £800 with THAI or Emirates.

But in the last year or two the prices seem to have really taken off.

I'll third Emirate, along with Etihad and Qatar too. With all these in the middle-east it's good for keeping prices competitive. Just got some friends a price for £600 from London right when the olympics will be at the peak at ******* prices up.

Oh....and **** Thai Air, rattling planes and ONE TV for a 100 people....good food though. Fix up you brass bunch of wankers.

Edited by Teddy

I booked flights last Feb to fly on 31st May Dublin - AbuDhabi - BKK cost including all taxes €660 Was paying €750 last year to travel same time of year, maybe its the "luck of the Irish"

i paid just less than 600 quid for a return flight with etihad flying to dublin in march ... it's a lot more ******* expensive now !!