Stuff Thais Like

Admin_2

A funny blog from a Thai female...

Stuff Thais Like.

Thais Like Gold

Filed under: Uncategorized — Leave a comment

July 15, 2011

thai_gold.jpg?w=640Thais like their gold as much as they like Somtum! Of course, Thailand has a lot of 7 – 11″s – one on every corner no doubt. Gold shops have to have the 7-11′s beat 10 to 1. They can found in shopping malls, markets and on nearly every street. Often times there will be a multitude of gold shops right in a row competing to adorn the Thais with gold. These shops employ an army of staff to get you in to their shop with hopes of sending you off with a 3 baht gold chain around your neck and wrist and a yellow gold ring on your finger. It is a great status symbol to have a lot of gold hanging on your neck, ears and wrists. The more gold a Thai has, the more he is boosted up the HI-So ladder of Thai society. Of course it is not uncommon to see a man or woman weighed down with gold and driving a Mercedes living in a small shack somewhere on a klong. No one ever visits their tiny, rundown home, so everyone that sees them on the street or at work perceives them as powerful and rich. Thais often buy gold when they can’t afford it and then end up having to sell it when they need money. Of course they will never tell you that is the reason. They will brag and tell you that it was an investment they had planned and that they bought when the price of gold was low and sold it for big money when the price was high. When a Thai lady gets married, she receives gold from her suitor as well as cash at the ceremony for her family. Often times this gold is also sold when their is a money problem in the family. Temples are also chock full of gold colors as well. Some of the Buddha’s are just painted gold, while others are gold plated. There is even a gold Buddha etched with gold leaf into side of mountaina mountain near Pattaya called Buddha Mountain or Khao Chee Chan.

pattayabuddha1.jpg?w=640Buddha Mountain or Khao Chee Chan

Thais Like Knock Off Designer Bags

July 7, 2011

fake-purses-bangkok-thailand.jpg?w=640Thais love to carry knock off designer bags when they are out on the town. The Thai police are not at all active in arresting shop owners that sell fake Louis Vuitton, Channel, Coach, Burberry, and other designer purses. One would think it would be easy to bust counterfeiters since you can find knock off purses sold on nearly every street in Bangkok as well as every city in Thailand. The funny thing is that it is done so openly that theses counterfeit handbags are even sold in fancy shopping malls all over the Kingdom of Thailand and Thai police officers can be seen strolling by these shops all the time! They are actually sold in grades – grade A, grade B etc. and the closer they are to the real thing, the more expensive they are. People often travel to Thailand to find bargains shopping for clothes, and this is true if you go to the Platinum Mall or Chatuchak Market or other bargain markets. However, you won’t find “real” designer clothing items at these places, but rows and rows of copies. If you buy a real designer bag at a high end shopping mall, you had better plan on paying $200 or more than you would if you purchased the same purse in the UK or in America. These items are heavily taxed when they are brought into Thailand even though the Thai government does not want to pay any tax when they export to other countries. Of course it is a double standard, but this is Thailand!! So it would probably be best purchase a designer bag in your own country, rather than think you are going to get a bargain while on your trip to Thailand. The food is cheap, the accommodations are cheap, the tours are cheap and the knock offs are cheap. But the imports are priced 20 to 30% of higher than you would pay outside of Thailand. Although it is perfectly acceptable in Thailand to carry knock off bags, it is not accepted by most other countries. So if you buy a copy Louis Vuitton bag in Thailand, do not be surprised if it gets confiscated by the customs at the airport when you arrive in your home country! Another knock that is popular in Thailand are Rolex watches. They are really good copies and can be bought for around 1500 to 2000 baht – again sold on most streets as well as nearly every shopping mall in Bangkok.

fake-purses-bangkok-thailand-louis-vuitton.jpg?w=640You Can Even Find Knock Off Purses in Every Bangkok Shopping Mall

Thais Like Eating on the Street

June 20, 2011

thais-eating-on-the-street.jpg?w=640For some strange reason Thai people love to eat a cheap meal whilst sitting on tiny chairs eating off of wobbly tables. I just do not see the fascination with eating outside, but maybe some people enjoy the blistering heat and a good dose of smog for their lungs. There is also all the dust and germs that blow onto their food right before they eat it. Even though I do not understand the reasons why, I do it all the time! I sit outside in the intense heat eating ultra spicy food that makes me even hotter and sweatier. Thai people can get all sorts of meals on the street from noodle and rice dishes to tasty barbecued meats and fowl. You can also get some deliciously cooked insects as well if that flatters your taste buds. If you like papaya salad (Somtum), you can get that on the street too. Thai people actually consider these types of setups as restaurants. If you are a Westerner (farang), you may get proudly invited by a Thai to dine at their restaurant. You will be thinking fine dining, sturdy tables and booths, clean air, proper toilets and wash basins, a commercial kitchen and a cash register. You will then arrive to see dishes being done on the street in a bucket of soapy water, the kitchen on wheels, smog surrounding you and the owner collecting his customers money and putting into a small bag on a rope over his shoulder. He will be excited to see you and invite you in to eat one of the best meals on the face of the earth! Do not be afraid, street food is not only pretty safe, but also very tasty. Probably 60 million Thais eat on the street everyday and the food does not kill them! Maybe the smog will contribute to an their early death, but the food is aroi mak! Eating on the street hits the list of Stuff Thais Like.

http://stuffthaislike.com/

I love how she is Thai and gives an honest perspective of her own people. It's obvious that she was educated abroad. She's able to poke fun at her own people, which is something more Thai people need to learn how to do.

If a farang were to write some of this stuff, they'd lose a lot of Thai friends...

I love how she is Thai and gives an honest perspective of her own people. It's obvious that she was educated abroad. She's able to poke fun at her own people, which is something more Thai people need to learn how to do.

If a farang were to write some of this stuff, they'd lose a lot of Thai friends...

I know. I have written such things and I'm sure more than a few Thais hate me for saying what I've said. LOL

You will be thinking fine dining, sturdy tables and booths, clean air, proper toilets and wash basins, a commercial kitchen and a cash register. You will then arrive to see dishes being done on the street in a bucket of soapy water, the kitchen on wheels, smog surrounding you and the owner collecting his customers money and putting into a small bag on a rope over his shoulder. He will be excited to see you and invite you in to eat one of the best meals on the face of the earth!

Simply loved it!