retirement in thailand

XxSMIL3xX

hello friends,

me and my girlfriend are ready to relocate in thailand.we are 30 and 34 and we have never been till yet in thailand.

we fixed our economics and we managed to have an income for the rest of our lives.

we are going to fly in october with a 2+1 months visa and we are thinking to explore the north thailand and chiang mai.then we will pass the boarders for laos or cambodia and we will come back with more 2+1 months visa and we are thinking for east thailand and trat and koh chang and then we will pass again the boarders to cambodia/laos to take once again the 2+1 months visa and we are thinking to stay 3 months in krabi but we are thinking also for phuket or koh samui or koh phangan.

after these we are going to decide which place we like most and we are going to get a study visa for 1-2 years maybe more(we want to learn some thais) and after these we are going to see if we can find any other way to take a long term visa.

so our questions are:

1)are these places good enough to have them as base for a 3 month stay and are we going to be able to see more places from there(do they have near other places to see?we want to stay 3 months but we want to be near more cities or villages)

2)what about health insurance?can we get one there or we have to take it care from here.we already have one here but uts complicated to take our money if something goes wrong abroad.we will take the money but they need from us to translate all the papers and we have to come back in greece to get payed.

3)are these 3 areas have any college that will give us the visa?i am sure for chiang mai.but trat?krabi?

4)which destination is better from krabi, phuket,koh samui,koh phangan for long term(hospitals,colleges)

of course anyone who could post any link for small appartments in these areas or who could send us to someone there will be very helpfull.for colleges too.

i think these are all.do you think i am missing anything?

thank you for your time.

stathis!

hello friends,

me and my girlfriend are ready to relocate in thailand.we are 30 and 34 and we have never been till yet in thailand.

we fixed our economics and we managed to have an income for the rest of our lives.

Congrats on that. Especially in these economic times :-)

1)are these places good enough to have them as base for a 3 month stay and are we going to be able to see more places from there(do they have near other places to see?we want to stay 3 months but we want to be near more cities or villages)

It depends on what you're into. Many of the places you mentioned are a little on the, ahem, sleepy side. I've spent a few days up in Chaing Mai before and it's nice but I sort of like the Bangkok nightlife and choice of things to do. Others love it because it's so mellow and quite. So, it really depends on what you want.

2)what about health insurance?can we get one there or we have to take it care from here.we already have one here but uts complicated to take our money if something goes wrong abroad.we will take the money but they need from us to translate all the papers and we have to come back in greece to get payed.

You can buy health insurance in Thailand. I never did but I've had Bupa before and many people speak highly of Bupa in Thailand.

3)are these 3 areas have any college that will give us the visa?i am sure for chiang mai.but trat?krabi?

That's going to be tough. Chiang Mai, sure. Phuket, sure. But Trat? Probably not.

Also, I don't think you're looking for a college/university. Other than some programs at Chula and maybe a few other Thai universities, there aren't many programs targeted at foreigners. Your best bet is a language school which can give you a ED (education) visa. I live in Thailand for 2 years on ED visas from language schools.

4)which destination is better from krabi, phuket,koh samui,koh phangan for long term(hospitals,colleges)

Obviously, the bigger the city and the larger the expat community the more amenities you'll find for foreigners. Phuket, the largest of your picks, will have language schools, hospitals that readily accept insurance, etc. From there you just have to figure out where the rest rank in terms of what is really important to you. For example, I'm not sure I've heard of any of the big language schools with offices in Koh Phangan. Samui is starting to become more popular but it's not Phuket and not even close to being as expat-friendly as Bangkok.

I know you're trying to do the responsible thing and research everything before you arrive but don't get too set in your plans. Just go with the flow of where you want to go rather than focusing on objectives. If you're planning on relocating to Thailand it's probably better you get a good feel for the place you want to live than to see everything in Thailand. If you're going to move there, there's plenty of time to see it all.

It's sort of like the quote of the week from Stickman's column last week from a guy who has been to Thailand (Bangkok) six times and never seen any of the temples or the Grand Palace. Thailand is the kind of place where you just want to live in the moment and take life as it comes. Having too many plans or feeling pressured to move on to the next destination simply because that's the itinerary you put together isn't the way to do Thailand.

i think these are all.do you think i am missing anything?

Well there are some very good advice in FarangFarang post, I would add that I also find Bangkok more appealing than the areas You mention, I live a bit from the center of Bangkok, I have my own car and can be in MBK in less than 30 minutes (in the middle of the day - Bangkok traffic is really jammed in rush hour(s))... I have the feel of small town, but still have anything close by, if I need beautiful nature I can go to Khao Yai (1 hour) - Kraeng Krachan (2.5 hours) - Khanchanaburi same thing...

If I really do need the high mountains of north, I do a trip in a prolonged weekend, or go by plane (1 hour) and rent a car in the airport of Chiang Mai... I am not a beach person, but if I want, I can go to Phuket in a day by car, an hour by plane...

Phuket is quite expensive place to live, so You will run out of money earlier - I believe ED visa can give up to 7 years in the country... As You are both very Young it is not really possible to retire, in Thailand You have to be above 50 years old to qualify for retirement visa, and You still have some years to go before that happen...

About insurance, I am not sure that a local company would insure based on an ED visa, normally they want either

ทะเบียนบ้าน (

Tabiian baan - that is like residence book, for non thai that is a yellow book) or they will ask for a workpermit, as they want to make sure You stay long term in the country... In Your case You will not be able to fullfill any of those criterias, hence I would recomend an international company as Bupa that also FarangFarang does...

Anyway - I wish You both great luck in Your project of relocating here, and it is not impossible, we are quite a few who did it already ;)

Well there are some very good advice in FarangFarang post, I would add that I also find Bangkok more appealing than the areas You mention, I live a bit from the center of Bangkok, I have my own car and can be in MBK in less than 30 minutes (in the middle of the day - Bangkok traffic is really jammed in rush hour(s))... I have the feel of small town, but still have anything close by, if I need beautiful nature I can go to Khao Yai (1 hour) - Kraeng Krachan (2.5 hours) - Khanchanaburi same thing...

If I really do need the high mountains of north, I do a trip in a prolonged weekend, or go by plane (1 hour) and rent a car in the airport of Chiang Mai... I am not a beach person, but if I want, I can go to Phuket in a day by car, an hour by plane...

Phuket is quite expensive place to live, so You will run out of money earlier - I believe ED visa can give up to 7 years in the country... As You are both very Young it is not really possible to retire, in Thailand You have to be above 50 years old to qualify for retirement visa, and You still have some years to go before that happen...

About insurance, I am not sure that a local company would insure based on an ED visa, normally they want either

ทะเบียนบ้าน (

Tabiian baan - that is like residence book, for non thai that is a yellow book) or they will ask for a workpermit, as they want to make sure You stay long term in the country... In Your case You will not be able to fullfill any of those criterias, hence I would recomend an international company as Bupa that also FarangFarang does...

Anyway - I wish You both great luck in Your project of relocating here, and it is not impossible, we are quite a few who did it already ;)

Good stuff. Great first posts so far.

One question...where have you been hiding?

Good stuff. Great first posts so far.

One question...where have you been hiding?

Well - I could ask the other way around - I have been in Thailand now for 5 years, I am online every day (except when I am in the jungle) - but it was not until 2 days ago I learned about this board, and I honestly forgot how I found You :D

Maybe You have to rethink the marketing strategy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

guys i really do not care about lil thai girls.i have my woman and we are ok.

i do not want to live with girls who are with me cause i have money...

i dont like bkk...i am leaving from europe cause i do not like the western living style.no reason to leave from athens or london to go in bkk.

thank you all for your replies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I will retire in Thailand too in a month or so. Been looking at the insurance as well. Checked out Bupa and see its only valid in Thailand so if you want to see the other countries (Laos, Burma or Cambodia) getting the insurance from home might be a better idea.

http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/index.aspx

Let us know if you run across any international insurance plans.

so i have to say for any one who is planning to come in thailand to relocate that thailand is cheap for thai people.

if you want western life style is is not cheap.first of all in the beggining you cant cook as you do not know the ingredients and how to cook noodles etc.if you go to eat at a vendor you will need 1-2 euro to eat.also their dishes are a little small so may you need 2 dishes and i am slim.if you try to eat a steak you ll need to pay about 5-10 euros.also alcohol is expensive.i have found a massage which is cheaper than a bottle of beer.so i prefer the massage by the beer.a beer in a bar is about 3-4 euros and a message from 5 euros till 8 but i found a happy hour from 10 in the morning till 2 in then noon with 2.5 euros per hour.

gas is only 1 euro per litre.

to rent a motorbike is 2.5 euros per day.

the rent now for the beginning you will need to find a hotel for some days.then search everywhere and ask everyone.

then rent a house for one month and then find something for 6 months or 1 year and never pay in front.

finally i would advice you to try to find 1-2 expats who will try to help you.its very important to have some one to understand you.you will need some one to talk after all.if you are able to find a little community will be perfect.just for the beginning or the first year.

also if you want to eat 2 times in western restaurant you are going to need at least 10-20 euros per day.if you plus salads or beers or a smoothie or some whiskey or ice cream or even a western coffee you can easily spend a lot of money.

smothie 3-5 euros

coffee 2-3 euros

ice cream 2-3 euros

whiskey 5 euros

salad 3-5 euros.

so if in the 10-20 euros you gonna need to eat 2 times you have to plus more 10-20 you see how it goes easily to 20-40 per day.

40 euros per day is 1.200 euros per month only to eat.

in the other hand you can eat in vendors with 1-2 euros per meal.that means for 2 meals 2-4 per day or 120 euros per month...

its up to you!!!

to end this do not forget that i am only 20 days here with my wife but not like tourists.we are trying to live normal.

but of course as time passes we are going to figure out more things and cheaper.

even now there is a huge difference from the 1 st day.maybe half money.

Edited by XxSMIL3xX