Khao Sok National Park

twoyg2

Question

Arriving in Phuket on 1 September this year and planning a few days at the Tree House Resort at Khao Sok National Park.

Has anyone stayed there and could you tell me is it as nice and destinctive as the web site makes out?

During my three weeks in September I am planning to avoid the tourist areas and try to see as much of the real Phuket and the mainland up too Khao Sok and possibly beyond as I can.

:D:D:D

4 answers to this question

Arriving in Phuket on 1 September this year and planning a few days at the Tree House Resort at Khao Sok National Park.

Has anyone stayed there and could you tell me is it as nice and destinctive as the web site makes out?

During my three weeks in September I am planning to avoid the tourist areas and try to see as much of the real Phuket and the mainland up too Khao Sok and possibly beyond as I can.

:D:D:D

Well first off - not to bring You down or anything, but I think there are very very few spots not thread by tourist feet in Phuket... So to find the not so tourist areas might be quite a challenge...

As for Khao Sok, well You are in reallity just outside the park entrance if You go to the tree houses, and thet is a great idea for that time of the year, I would expect quite a lot of rain in Khao Sok in September, and it can be quite difficult to treck inside the park, even at the laid out roads... Some areas will even be closed for the season, as it is far too dangerous to go there in the rainy season, in 2007 I believe a group of tourist drowned inside Khao Sok in a cave they visited...

But there are just inside the park entrance some beautiful waterfalls, and if You are prepared with good footwear, then You can get there and should be able to do so without much troubles...

Anyway have a great trip...

Well first off - not to bring You down or anything, but I think there are very very few spots not thread by tourist feet in Phuket... So to find the not so tourist areas might be quite a challenge...

As for Khao Sok, well You are in reallity just outside the park entrance if You go to the tree houses, and thet is a great idea for that time of the year, I would expect quite a lot of rain in Khao Sok in September, and it can be quite difficult to treck inside the park, even at the laid out roads... Some areas will even be closed for the season, as it is far too dangerous to go there in the rainy season, in 2007 I believe a group of tourist drowned inside Khao Sok in a cave they visited...

But there are just inside the park entrance some beautiful waterfalls, and if You are prepared with good footwear, then You can get there and should be able to do so without much troubles...

Anyway have a great trip...

Thanks very much for the reply. I am really looking forward to Khao Sok and will take your advice.

I do realise there are not many areas that tourist's do not tread in Phuket but Ireally want to avoid Patong and the bar scene this time. Maybe I will just drive and see what I can see. A walking tour of the old town sounds good and there looks like there are some very good museums etc.

To be honest I love Phuket and most of it's people just get annoyed by the touts mostly.

Thanks very much for the reply. I am really looking forward to Khao Sok and will take your advice.

I do realise there are not many areas that tourist's do not tread in Phuket but Ireally want to avoid Patong and the bar scene this time. Maybe I will just drive and see what I can see. A walking tour of the old town sounds good and there looks like there are some very good museums etc.

To be honest I love Phuket and most of it's people just get annoyed by the touts mostly.

If driving worth getting out of Phuket and taking a drive down to Than Bokkharani. At that time of year the place is amazing.

Probably a 2.5 hour drive but you could maybe combine with a night in Krabi?

"

If you visit this national park just after the monsoons, you’ll be treated to a lush and surreal experience – almost like you’ve stepped onto the set of a Disney movie. At the park headquarters, close to the small town of Ao Leuk and 46km northwest of

Krabi

, emerald-green waters flow out of a narrow cave in a tall cliff and into a large lotus pool, which spills into a wide stream and then divides into many smaller rivulets. At each rivulet there’s a pool and a little waterfall; the effect is magical. The park was established in 1991 and protects a large area of islands, mangroves and limestone caves throughout the Ao Leuk area."

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/andaman-coast/than-bokkharani-national-park#ixzz1zBvghL9T

If driving worth getting out of Phuket and taking a drive down to Than Bokkharani. At that time of year the place is amazing.

Probably a 2.5 hour drive but you could maybe combine with a night in Krabi?

"

If you visit this national park just after the monsoons, you’ll be treated to a lush and surreal experience – almost like you’ve stepped onto the set of a Disney movie. At the park headquarters, close to the small town of Ao Leuk and 46km northwest of

Krabi

, emerald-green waters flow out of a narrow cave in a tall cliff and into a large lotus pool, which spills into a wide stream and then divides into many smaller rivulets. At each rivulet there’s a pool and a little waterfall; the effect is magical. The park was established in 1991 and protects a large area of islands, mangroves and limestone caves throughout the Ao Leuk area."

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/andaman-coast/than-bokkharani-national-park#ixzz1zBvghL9T

Thank you I will read up on Than Bokkharani