[/TABLE]

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: item0, align: right]Datum:[/TD]

[TD=class: item0, width: 100%]Fri, 9 Nov 2012 04:03:06 +0530[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: item1, align: right]Von:[/TD]

[TD=class: item1, width: 100%]"Capt. James Hans" <[email protected]>addressbook-blue.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: item0, align: right]Antwort an:[/TD]

[TD=class: item0, width: 100%][email protected]addressbook-blue.gif[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: item1, align: right]Betreff:[/TD]

[TD=class: item1, width: 100%]Greetings From Kabul...............[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: text, align: left] Hello,

I am Cpt. James Hans an officer of the U.S Army, serving with the 82nd Airborne Division Peace keeping force in Kabul, Afghanistan.

We are currently in Afghanistan and I have some important items that i need to ship to you. I need you to reply only if you are interested.

I will explain further when i get a response from you.

Regards,

Cpt James Hans

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Look what I just found in the inbox of my private mail (not hotmail, yahoo or similar!). What worries me a bit is that I have been to Afghanistan, so I wonder whether I just got on their distribution list by chance or if someone has hacked the ISAF server as of course I was sending and receiving mails during my time there.

Both mail addresses in the header do not seem to be related with the US military, the first one rather indicates to be of Chinese origin.

Anybody got something similar?

Edited by kaunitz

• 3 weeks later...
Recieved similar about 12 months ago. I have not been there so probably the same as Nigerian 911 and get the addresses by buying them of hackers

Most probably. But still there is something that worries me a bit. I have a hotmail account and this one is full of spam whereas my private mail is pretty clean. So I am still afraid that the ISAF server has been hacked which actually would be a not so nice thing as you can get a lot of information there, not only names and mail addresses....

Most probably. But still there is something that worries me a bit. I have a hotmail account and this one is full of spam whereas my private mail is pretty clean. So I am still afraid that the ISAF server has been hacked which actually would be a not so nice thing as you can get a lot of information there, not only names and mail addresses....

I found this was a problem with hotmail accounts. I have not had it with gmail. I think the problem exists within hotmail security. It just does not filter the spammers very well. It has nothing to do wit the ISAF server

I found this was a problem with hotmail accounts. I have not had it with gmail. I think the problem exists within hotmail security. It just does not filter the spammers very well. It has nothing to do wit the ISAF server

Is it Hotmail security or the people prone to using Hotmail?

Seriously, I've never seen such a concentrated group of people constantly being hit with viruses, trojan horses, etc. It's almost like all you have to write is "Click Here" and there's a 97% chance a Hotmail user will click on it.

Is it Hotmail security or the people prone to using Hotmail?

Seriously, I've never seen such a concentrated group of people constantly being hit with viruses, trojan horses, etc. It's almost like all you have to write is "Click Here" and there's a 97% chance a Hotmail user will click on it.

The problem is basically hotmail because its security and spam filters are crap

i don't think u can blame hotmail for the stupidity of some of the ppl using it !!

although their own security could be improved, most of the crap/shit could be filtered out by ppl using a bit of common fucking sense !!!

Exactly. The worst one was that "Who's blocked you on Messenger" spam that hackers sent out. They told you they would tell you who was blocking you on MSN if you put in your name and password.

Well, duh! They simply just hijacked your Hotmail account and started spamming everyone in your address book.

Now, regardless of whether or not Spam software should have caught it (questionable since the email is always coming from a friend) there's the fact that somebody then clicked on the link. I must have received hundreds of spams tempting me to give up my MSN login details from people that I knew.

I've never had that with Yahoo Mail, Gmail, or any other service I've used. But about every six months I'll get a ton of Hotmail spam from people who clicked on a link or filled in a form.

• 4 months later...
Yes, they have big scam factories where they produce scams on an assembly line :-)

This only applies to the Chinese, the Russians are too drunk to get a single scam produced correctly and the Nigerians break half of them before they reach the end of the production process.

But joking aside, I once got on a webpage that is documenting exactly this. Hacking attempts and spamming and it gave statistics about the origins of those wrongdoings. Unfortunately, I have no idea any more what the name of this website is but China, Russia and Nigeria were on top of the lists.