Thai beach close to Bangkok

Admin_2

Question

I can't say I'm a fan of Hua Hin as it's not the most beautiful Thai beach. I want to drive to the beach for a weekend, hate pattaya, and I don't want to travel more than 4 hours each way. I know it's hard to find the beautiful beaches of Phi Phi without taking a flight to Phuket, but I'm looking for Thai beach recommendations for somewhere close by that's relaxing and good for families.

I'm leaning towards Samet as it's only 2-3 hours away. Chang is nice, but it's a bit too far for a weekend getaway.

Recommendations?

Edited by Japamerican

Well, Bang Saen would be an option. But there is one thing that really pissed me off so I would not go there any more. Although having a nice beach and, if you look for it, some decent accommodation, this place is rather made for Thai weekend-tourists. So the businesspeople down there do not hesitate at all to rip you off as much as they can as they know that most Thai people would not openly complain about it.

If not for that, Pattaya would really be the nearest option but we also have been to Ko Samed over the weekend and it went well. But I think getting there with two small kids might be a bit tiring. Rayong is said to have some nice places, too, but I can't tell anything about it.

Well, Bang Saen would be an option. But there is one thing that really pissed me off so I would not go there any more. Although having a nice beach and, if you look for it, some decent accommodation, this place is rather made for Thai weekend-tourists. So the businesspeople down there do not hesitate at all to rip you off as much as they can as they know that most Thai people would not openly complain about it.

If not for that, Pattaya would really be the nearest option but we also have been to Ko Samed over the weekend and it went well. But I think getting there with two small kids might be a bit tiring. Rayong is said to have some nice places, too, but I can't tell anything about it.

Thanks for that. My kids are pretty good travelers (what's a 3 hour drive when you've been flying for 24?!). I know there are pockets of Pattaya that are decent, but I'm not a huge fan of the place...especially with kids.

What pissed you off in Bang Saen? We typically don't get ripped off, or at least we don't put ourselves in situations where we'd be open to getting ripped off. That being said, paying a 200 baht fee for entering a national park when it's free or just 50 baht for my wife pisses me off. However, there isn't much one can do about that.

We typically pre-book rooms online, which is generally cheaper than walking in. That also lowers the possibility of getting ripped off. Anyway, getting ripped off isn't really on our minds. Samet seems like the most interesting option so far...we'll see.

There is good news for you, here is "how to make your own Bangkok beach" in a couple of easy steps =>

1. go to your favourite gas station

2. buy some cans of oil

3. put it in your bathtub

4. then go to any construction yard in your area

4. grab some sand enough to cover your bathroom floor

-> voila, there you have it as close as it can get. Enjoy your time ;-)

And she also recommended Sri Racha - where there is no beach but a big harbor.....

keep your mount shut if u never visited some beach there. last time(feb 2012), i went to sailor bangalo( i call like this but don't know its formal name), and sure there is a beachhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and more over i heard about a nice and natural resort over there ( which i have a plan to go there this year)

keep your mount shut if u never visited some beach there. last time(feb 2012), i went to sailor bangalo( i call like this but don't know its formal name), and sure there is a beachhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and more over i heard about a nice and natural resort over there ( which i have a plan to go there this year)

Is this the one you found on the terrestrial globe of Thailand? By the way - now, also your h-key is stuck.....

And which mount should I shut (down or up?)? Mount McKinley, Mount Everest or...???

Edited by kaunitz

She also recommended Hua Hin and Pattaya...two places which I said I didn't want to visit. :rolleyes:

in fairness while the main beach at hua hin isn't up to much, Khao Takiab is just 10 mins away by songtaew and is a lovely beach ... white sand and clear blue water !!! also much much quieter than the main beach !!!!