Buying gold in Thailand

Nyfarang4u

Question

Going to MBK later today and I am thinking about buying some gold. Just curious what the average price is for 1 baht 96 percent gold? I want to buy a nice chain probably about 5 baht. Yesterday the first price they gave me was about $116,000 for a 5 baht chain. However I am sure there is room for negotiation because that was the first price the woman gave me. If there is anyone familar with gold prices in Thailand I would love to hear what the average price is for 1 baht! By the time I probably get a response I will probably already be at MBK.

5 answers to this question

Going to MBK later today and I am thinking about buying some gold. Just curious what the average price is for 1 baht 96 percent gold? I want to buy a nice chain probably about 5 baht. Yesterday the first price they gave me was about $116,000 for a 5 baht chain. However I am sure there is room for negotiation because that was the first price the woman gave me. If there is anyone familar with gold prices in Thailand I would love to hear what the average price is for 1 baht! By the time I probably get a response I will probably already be at MBK.

Two months ago, the price was about 26,000 Baht, so 116,000 for a 5 baht chain would be ok but for sure not in $!

I am very sure I never would buy gold in MBK, unless I had a goldsmith as companion...

If You want to be absolutely 100% sure that it actually is the real deal in Thailand, then You have to go to Yaworat (Chinatown) there are 4 big corner shops - those are guaranteed to be the real thing, and You will see many many thais in there, the que lines near chinese new year especially are sometimes out on the street...