Farang, so jealous

Chatty

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not jealous, coz many of them get a lot for their pay, still complain they are broke at the end of the month. and, since they earn more money, i shamelessly let them pay for my food and beverages. what more can i say, cant complain, really. :wink:

and since you earn more money, i shamelessly let you pay for my food and beverages. what more can i say, cant complain really. :wink:

i mean farang who live and work in thailand.

1. most of them have a nice job get good pay while Thai ppl who have higher education get sh*t pay

-- farang get paid from farang company( branch in Thailand)

They will get paid in thier currency. It must be more than Thai currency. They are live in thailand so everything cheap for them. I think lucky them.

If we think in a positive way, so they spend money here in our country.It is not that bad, isn't it?

-- farang get paid from Thai company

for example ; English Teacher.

if I want to hire someone for teaching english for my school.

I want to hire farang for sure because reliable for my school. The ppl who want to learn english they will want to learn it from farang.

I must hire farang cuz that is good for my school.right? well not many farang in thailand (I mean the past) so hard to find a good one for the school. mean u must pay they more cuz u want them to work with u. and also farang want high salary cuz they think in thier currency not Thai Baht, right? so then they request more, u give them more.. then thats why they are got high salary nowaday

well, it is not farang fault to get high paid,if Thai ppl wasn't offer them that so it wont happend like this.

I didn't say It is Thai fault or something like that.. nobody fault but I just want to say what i think

for another job... why they pay farang well than thai?

cuz of OUR Thai ppl believed that farang are smart and can do the job better than thai ppl and also WE are believe that farang's brain better than Thai's brain. I didn't say it is true but i think thai ppl believe like that. why we ordered/use many farang products? we can use Thai product it is cheaper but we choose farang product..I dont think Thai product is that bad but we just believe in that farang product is better.

well, why i said about that, cuz we believed that farang have better brain than thai ppl and also do all thing better than thai. Why they paid to farang higher than thai ppl. and also farang request it high as well (cuz they think in their currency)... so the company want farang to work with them so they must pay how much farang requested.It is simple.isn't it?

I think thai ppl should think about it!! you said thai ppl who have higher education get sh*t paid. In my opinion,I dont think higher education garantee that you will work better than who have less education then u. i have seen many ppl.. not high education but work better than who have higher education than them...

Thai ppl also believe about salary in this way, high education get more high salary... why that??

hows about who dont have a chance for study in high level but they can work and done a good job.maybe will better than who has a high education.

Thai ppl beleive (I can say that we judge) who have high education will work well. I dont think farang think in the same way.

2. most of them live in luxury condo. in the heart of BKK while Thai ppl who is in the middle class were kicked out of town, i can't afford it.

well, do u think they are happy with that? why dont u think in another way ? They are lives in the crow and much pollution in the heart of bkk.

3. when they get in any place they are all welcome no matter what they are dressing...

why they are all welcome no matter what they are dressing cuz Thai ppl care(hmm i should not say they care but just a gossip stuff u know) If Thai wear like short and t-shirt in public so they will might gossip.. blah blah blah.. but if farang wear it so no problem..

I think it is a thai problem....

4. no matter how old u r.. u can get laid if u have money.

no matter what thai or farang..if they have money soooo ......................

They are my opioin. Thats all!!!

I have quite a lot of sympathy with Bcool's comments. In most countries in the world the local population is wary of foreigners and there is normally some bias towards the local population. I come from England and while the English are not anti-foreigners they do, at most, tolerate them.

Thailand is fairly unique in my experience in that the Thais are generally respectful and friendly towards all foreigners. Of course it should be like this in all countries but it isnt.

Now if I was Thai, I like to think I would be equally tolerant of foreigners who visit and live here. But I am not so sure. Would I be happy that westerners have turned Pattaya into a sleeze pit? Would I be happy that any sort of low life can enter this country and live here while I, as a Thai, find it difficult to visit overseas?

I like to think I would be equally as tolerant as Thais but I dont know if I would be.

Thailand is fairly unique in my experience in that the Thais are generally respectful and friendly towards all foreigners. Of course it should be like this in all countries but it isnt.

Friendly and respectful to foreigners as long as they don't come from Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Pakistan etc.

This is a LOOOOONG thread, and I did a little skipping, so if my two cents have already been paid by someone else, then I apologize.

One thing I'd like to bring up is that MOST farang who come to Thailand also LEAVE Thailand eventually too. We all want to work towards our own future, retirement, or at LEAST financial security.

I worked in BKK as an English teacher for Berlitz at what is, in Thailand, considered a reasonable rate. I just about got by with this.

The first year or so, before I became proficient in Thai, I was taken advantage of by Thai merchants who thing Farang are made of money. I put a stop to that as soon as I was able.

Back to my point...I want to buy a house in the USA someday. Lofty dreams in a Thai's mind, and they might even say I am dreaming myself. A house considered DIRT CHEAP in the USA costs $150,000 to $170,000, and that's in areas FAR from where I come from. My ex-girlfriend bought a condo three years ago for about $300,000 in Massachusetts, and NOT even close to the city.

My salary in Thailand was 20,000 to 25,000 baht. On a busy (but rare) month, I made 30,000. Now, let's take the price of the cheapest possible house I can find in the US, about 4000 km from my home. $150,000 times 40 baht to the dollar (the rough average of the past 4 years or so). That equals 6,000,000 (six MILLION) baht. Let's say that I could earn my top rate EVERY month (30k), and that I could save 50% of my salary (which was nearly impossible, as my landlord was always ripping me off with inflated phone and electricity charges). It would take me 33 years of continuous work to buy that house at TODAY's rate. Of course, the price of said house would go up 400, 500, or more percent in that amount of time, so I'd NEVER be able to afford it.

Now let's say I want to buy a house in Massachusetts, where I come from. If a CONDO costs 300k, then I can expect a house to go for at LEAST $400k (16 million baht). And my average salary was closer to 23k baht/mo. I haven't calculated that, but you get the point, right?

To sum up...for many farang, even WITH what Thais consider to be inflated salaries, life in Thailand is life on hold. It's completely unproductive time with nothing but the experience (and don't get me wrong, the experience is something I wouldn't trade for the world) to put towards the future.

Sure, I've seen some expats making extraordinary money in Thailand, especially the ones working for the oil companies. They are also employed by Western companies. But these are not the rule, they are the exception. I would just consider these people the ones who CAN save for a house in the West where the rest of us cannot.

I'm back in the states now, working towards my future, because I couldn't in Thailand. I'll be back to visit as often as I can. Hopefully, sometime in the future, I'll be secure enough so that I can spend long periods of time there WITHOUT a job, but I have to make that happen from here.

Bcool has spoken her mind and stated valid points, she's voiced what most thai's think but never utter.

Thai's have to look closer to home, as it all originates there. Firstly they are the one's putting westerns and the western culture up there on a pedestal, may be it's down to money or may be it's more complex.

Generally speaking thai people have a very beautiful culture and nature about them, but the toss side to that is they descriminate again their own people based on wealth and skin colour. They all seem to be obsessed with white skin colour, merely walk into a local pharmacy you'll notice that every other product claims to whiten you skin....how very sad!

May it it's about time they stopped looking up to the white man and stopped looking down on their own people. May be then equality in salary and living conditions would improve as they focus inwards,rather then try to imitate others.

Could you afford a $400K house in the USA on an Engish teacher's salary, given the much higher cost of living? Just curious.

No way, that's why I moved back here. I work in IT here, and make many times my Thai salary.

I'm sure you do make many times what you made in Thailand. But, the cost of living where you are now is much more than it was in Thailand. If you did a one for one comparison I wonder where you'd end up - cost of living wise.

Hey Neung I'm not ragging on you but as a Farang that busted my hump when I came over here, earning 32k baht a month it somtimes rankles to read and hear that kinda stuff.

I was reading through this thread, trying to avoid the "is there a God" thread, :roll: and thought about your comment. True, by European and US standards that is a wage you could not survive on. But in reality, a lot of people in Thailand make a lot less than that a month and survive.

Could you afford a $400K house in the USA on an Engish teacher's salary, given the much higher cost of living? Just curious.

No way, that's why I moved back here. I work in IT here, and make many times my Thai salary.

I'm sure you do make many times what you made in Thailand. But, the cost of living where you are now is much more than it was in Thailand. If you did a one for one comparison I wonder where you'd end up - cost of living wise.

i know a programmer who lives upstate new york, telecommutes as a freelancer. he doesnt make as much as if he was back in silicon valley but decent money.

if you had telecommuting work you could do from thailand, that would be a viable optoin---the cost of living is so much less that you could live well, save for retirement, etc. all at once. a pay scalle that would have you scraping by in the US can have you quite comfortable there.

i'm moving in a month, i have 2 jobs lined up--one is a telecommuting job, but it's writing, so doesnt pay like programming. that's why i need 2, even in thailand :P