Which would you choose?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

Some of you know that a woman in Florida named Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage and was on life support for 15 years.

The doctors say she had no consciousness and her condition was grave. Her parents and her husband disagreed on whether or not she should be kept on life support.

Schiavo died 4 months ago at the Pinellas Park hospice where she lay for years while her husband and her parents fought a right to die dispute.

Now what would you choose if you were in Terri's condition?

i would have a living will thats says if i don't wahe up in 2 months,then pull the plug.

In her case removing the feeding tube was the right thing,and should of been done a long time ago.As a the parents of a person in that state i can under stand them not letting go no matter what condition their daughter was in.

If they let her go a long time ago,her husband might of had a chance of starting over and haveing a new life,but now he's a bit old now ti have a family.

• 6 months later...

Good question...it's a good idea to have a living will for cases like this. You're never too old to die.

I guess my choice would depend on chances of recovery...sometimes its a cruical 'one more day'...sometimes its just clinging to false hope.

I don't think anyone should have the right to make this decision for me though.

Euthanasia...

Probably the biggest and most important moral and real issue that humanity faces this century. And one which most people are pretty reluctant to talk about.

Everyone knows that you put down a cat who is suffering, that doctors sometimes help a patient to die.

My guess is that 20 years from now euthanasia will be the norm.

• 10 months later...
Some of you know that a woman in Florida named Terri Schiavo suffered brain damage and was on life support for 15 years.

The doctors say she had no consciousness and her condition was grave. Her parents and her husband disagreed on whether or not she should be kept on life support.

Schiavo died 4 months ago at the Pinellas Park hospice where she lay for years while her husband and her parents fought a right to die dispute.

Here is another q and a from a spiritual angle, a while back a Jewish lady slashed her wrists and committed suicide so that her family would not suffer and have to spend large sums of money on her long bout with cancer. Now spiritually speaking, in both Jewish and Christian beliefs this person cannot enter through the pearly gates of heaven because they have taken their own life. Is such a sacrifice not redeeming?

Bobby

Here is another q and a from a spiritual angle, a while back a Jewish lady slashed her wrists and committed suicide so that her family would not suffer and have to spend large sums of money on her long bout with cancer. Now spiritually speaking, in both Jewish and Christian beliefs this person cannot enter through the pearly gates of heaven because they have taken their own life. Is such a sacrifice not redeeming?

Bobby

what's with the year old forums??? how many is that today?

Euthanasia...

Probably the biggest and most important moral and real issue that humanity faces this century. And one which most people are pretty reluctant to talk about.

Everyone knows that you put down a cat who is suffering, that doctors sometimes help a patient to die.

My guess is that 20 years from now euthanasia will be the norm.

Well, I'm from Holland, and it's legal over here since a couple of years. I've seen my grandfather die of bonecancer 20 years ago, it took him a year, that's no way to die...

I hope the rest of the world wil change their laws so people don't have to suffer like that.

My mum's terminally ill now, but we've already discussed it. It's a heavy topic, but consider the alternative...

• 1 month later...

An uncle of mine died a couple of days ago. He suffered from asthma and just collapsed, went into a coma and was on life support. Doctors felt that he should be disconnected as he was brain dead. I can't imagine what a difficult decision this would have been for his family but fortunately, they did not have o make it. He died while still on life support.

I don't think I could bring myself to pull the plug on anyone. I think it's a little selfish to put this incredible burden on the people around you because you die but they go on living with the guilt and the 'what-if'.

There have been many instances where people have recovered after many years in a coma, so even after leaving a reasonable amount of time, no one can be sure if someone would recover.

Maybe it would be a good idea to leave a "Living Will", and your wishes are abided by. Such would save the family from making this very difficult decision themselves.

Of course, it's not really up to the individual. Laws which endeavour to uphold individual's right of choice won't be passed as long as politicians can use this important issue as a political lever for their own ends.

a living will was done in the shaivo case as i recall. the parents fought it with the husband, who wanted to abide by her wishes, prevailing.

in some states in america any person can wear a do not resuscitate, or DNR, bracelet. this prevents medical personnel from hooking someone up to life support.