Hello,

Can you help me?

i'm Frenh and i' soon on vacation in Thailand.

The political situation in Thailand scares me.

Impossible to know f it is dangerous to come.

Ca you tell me if i'm safe if i comme in Thaïlande ?

I will be two day in Bangkok.

After, i will go on the north.

Thank you for your help.

Right now, I am not in Thailand but I was there when the big trouble happened in 2010. Generally, I assess the situation as ok for tourists as long as you follow some precautions. Stay away from crowded places, inform yourself (at the hotel reception, from TV...) what's going on and avoid the areas indicated. If you find yourself in a protest area (things like this can happen), don't be nosy and look what's going on - get away into a calm area.

Outside Bangkok, you should (as per now) not have troubles but if you see some crowds - as I said before - go away. Up to today, I did not hear about any unrest in the North so far, so you should be safe there.

Hope this helps! Thailand is a very beautiful country and if you manage to avoid the few hotspots (well, as I know from here, sightseeing places in Bangkok are not concerned by now) you should have a safe vacation there!

Bonne chance - malheureusement mon francais n'est pas assez bon pour repondre à ta question en francais.

Edited by kaunitz

Don't be over reaction, I was in the protest group sometimes, I mean the protest area such as Sukhumvit, Asoke, Ratchaprasong (CTW) and also Ratchadamnuen. I've found some tourists enjoy themselves. Such as take pictures with the protesters and bought some props. When I've seen it my thought was, didn't they know what was going on?

Kaunitz & Chatty,

Thank you for your response.

I'm no worried now.

Kaunitz, I will follow your advice.(Ta phrase en Français était parfaite!)

Chatty, if you see tourists fee events, it may be me! :)

I look forward to coming in thailand

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Merci pour ta réponse berny66.

La Thaïlande en général ne m'inquiète pas trop. C'est plutôt Bangkok. C'est la première étape de mon voyage,mais je pense à l'annuler ou à loger dans un hôtel plutôt à l'extérieur de Bangkok.

Thank you for your reponse berny66.

Thailand don't worry me. Jute Bangkok. Bangkok is the first step of my journey, but i think to cancel this step or stay in hotel outside Bangkok.

for your safe trip, i think it would be better not to visit bangkok, however if you would like to visit bangkok, you can avoid the way that you meet the protester then. there are 7 main roads in bangkok the protester blocks to shut the city down. but such as for khoasan road or emerald buddha temple is still opened for visitor everyday.

Thank you again for your response.

I think come to Bangkok and avoid the crowd.

I'll change hotel. I had to go to Siam@Siam, but i think it is located in the heart of the event. I'm wrong?

It's very kind of you to help me.

I think you got the answer for your bangkok trip :) so @siam is located near the protest area but you can commute with BTS (skytrain). It would be more convenient for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it has to do with your tolerance for risk.  The chance that you would get harmed or injured due to the political situation in Thailand are relatively low.  However, they're probably a lot higher than back home for you.  The important thing is to read up on what's going on, take precautions, and follow some common sense.  

Stay away from protest areas

Don't engage in political conversations

If you can, vacation somewhere outside of Bangkok (the islands and beaches are beautiful)

• 2 weeks later...

It's safe, just use common sense. Don't go to protest areas...or if you're curious just go for 5-10 minutes, take some photos, and head out. The atmosphere used to be like a festival. Now it reminds me of when ants start infesting your kitchen. You put up with it for a bit before wanting them all to just...go away.

Protests in Thailand are just part of Thai culture now. This is normal, and there really isn't much to worry about as long as you don't wear a red or yellow shirt and head to the protest sites yelling about hating this politician or that politician.