Disasters

DJTX

By now everyone knows of the recent hurricane that struck Louisiana and Missisippi. The mayor of New Orleans claims that several thousand people may be dead in that city. :( In some ways you have to feel sorry for them but in other ways maybe not. There was plenty of warning to evacuate (and the vast majority of people did). According to some reports everyone evacuated except 10 or 20 thousand people.

Just curious. Should we have sympathy for people who are injured or killed after they do not leave an area when a natural disaster is going to occur and they are warned to leave? I hate to sound unsympathetic, but they were warned. Of course there are reasons why some could not leave, but not the vast majority.

Many people felt that the warnings were overblown and that it wouldn't possibly have been as bad as they were saying. There have been false warnings in the past. But with the size of the hurricane and the path that it was taking, you would have had to have been an idiot (and there are a *few* of those in New Orleans) not to have listened to the mayor and the governor when they said, quite soberly, "Get out of the city" (period).

Not having transportation wasn't an issue, because there was plenty of transport to the Superdome. The only people that might not have been to mobilize would have been the very sick and elderly, the same people who would have died quickly in the floods.

To watch the news, it's obvious that many of the people who stayed did so willingly, believing that the storm would not be so severe. These are most likely people who have been through other hurricanes in New Orleans in the past and people who also know that New Orleans is like a bowl (the aforementioned idiots?).

What I didn't know (after living there for 4 years) is that the levees are only designed to withstand a category 3 hurricane. With the worst case scenario being a full on, head on category 5 hurricane, why weren't they built to take a cat 5??? If these levees were built that strong, the city would pretty much be back to normal right now, save for some repairs.

I'm sure this is something that will be looked at long and hard in the years to come. Now the city is completely shut down and the situation there is going to get worse before it gets any better.

It's just unbelievable to be seeing all of this on the news. 9/11 was another terrible event. But it didn't shut the whole city of NY down. The repercussions and repairs following this hurricane are going to last for years and years.

without sounding harsh and unsympathetic, surely it's natural selection and happens in the animal world all the time. if a creature is not able to feed or look after itslef in a changing enviroment it becomes extinct. this is natures way of eradicating stupid peope who live below sea level. its bad that it happened but maybe the clever people listened to the warning and got out.

• 2 months later...

Let's see... The majority of people who stayed in New Orleans and died were also extremely poor. Now let's a take a minute and look at this... I've lived on my own, working two jobs in the U.S. 40+ hours a week... and I could barely afford to pay rent, buy food, pay insurance, not to mention gas prices were a whooole lot cheaper then. Now these people have a hurricane coming in. They have the choice of either riding it out and going to work in the next day or so... or taking their entire pay check (cause alot of these people are living on the moment just like I was and most don't have any money to put into a savings account) loading their family up and driving 2 states away while spending $50+ on gas (just leaving, this doesn't include the trip back) and cramming everybody into a cheap hotel room (if you could find one, we were forced to drive through the outskirts of Hurricane Rita in Arkansas... because we were told that every hotel was booked in the entire state) at about $30+ a night if you are lucky, paying for your food and god knows what else. The majority of these people were not dumb... believe me, if they had plenty of money to survive... they would have left just like the middle class and rich did, but they had no real choice in the matter. That's my opinion, but that's only because I've been there and I understand how difficult it would be just to get up and leave when you have absolutely nothing.

if being "stupid" automaticly disqualifies someone from deserving our sympathy, respect, and basic human kindness there would be alot fewer "poor me" journals etc on TF. Not to mention all that wasted media attention on those stupid victoms of AIDS, Cancer, the war in Iraq, the Hollocaust, drive by shootings, motorcycle accidents, hate crimes, and of course 9/11....I mean come on, there should be an annual IQ test for all people, everywhere, and only those deemed "smart" are afforded the luxury of our sympathy. Society would be much better off and we would all have more time to prop ourselves up and concentrate on more important issues like getting rid of fat ugly people and those pesky minorities.

if being "stupid" automaticly disqualifies someone from deserving our sympathy, respect, and basic human kindness there would be alot fewer "poor me" journals etc on TF. Not to mention all that wasted media attention on those stupid victoms of AIDS, Cancer, the war in Iraq, the Hollocaust, drive by shootings, motorcycle accidents, hate crimes, and of course 9/11....I mean come on, there should be an annual IQ test for all people, everywhere, and only those deemed "smart" are afforded the luxury of our sympathy. Society would be much better off and we would all have more time to prop ourselves up and concentrate on more important issues like getting rid of fat ugly people and those pesky minorities.

as a minority ( bearded white guy ) I am disturded at being called pesky :shock: :shock: :shock:

as a minority ( bearded white guy ) I am disturded at being called pesky :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't think your beard or being white has anything to do with you being called "pesky".....now, if you were a beared white guy AND stupid...I'd say off with your head!

I don't think your beard or being white has anything to do with you being called "pesky".....now, if you were a beared white guy AND stupid...I'd say off with your head!

Its obvious that this thread is heading for disaster so who do we call for assistance :shock:

Its obvious that this thread is heading for disaster so who do we call for assistance :shock:

well...we know who NOT to call!

better call Maaco :P

sorry....since I have deemed their TV commercials to be stupid, they will be eradicated....but just remember....even if you like their commercials, products, or services...since they have been deemed stupid, you are not permitted to feel any sympathy for their demise.

sorry....since I have deemed their TV commercials to be stupid, they will be eradicated....but just remember....even if you like their commercials, products, or services...since they have been deemed stupid, you are not permitted to feel any sympathy for their demise.

Wait a minute !!! they were fine till they started using George Foreman for commercials so shouldn't you be directing your attention to George which leads us to a man who named all of his children George including the girls. There we might find the crest of the problems of todays world :P

****the TFALW refuses to use the quote function for all of the above****

that only begs the question...."Is George stupid for naming all his kids George. or are the decision makers at Maaco stupid for selecting such an obviously stupid person as their spokesman?.....better knock em all off just to be safe.......including the kids!

again....no sympathy!

****the TFALW refuses to use the quote function for all of the above****

that only begs the question...."Is George stupid for naming all his kids George. or are the decision makers at Maaco stupid for selecting such an obviously stupid person as their spokesman?.....better knock em all off just to be safe.......including the kids!

again....no sympathy!

I refuse to take part in calling George or his family stupid ( no offense to the Georges) I mean he might have lost the title but he is a bad mofo still. And if I did get clobbered by him or his family of boxing enthusiats I would be stupid and get no sympathy. So in that case the only sympathy I will get is for being so bored as to keep responding to this thread :lol:

without sounding harsh and unsympathetic, surely it's natural selection and happens in the animal world all the time. if a creature is not able to feed or look after itslef in a changing enviroment it becomes extinct. this is natures way of eradicating stupid peope who live below sea level. its bad that it happened but maybe the clever people listened to the warning and got out.

i think you meant to erase the word 'without': being harsh and unsympathetic...