Buddha, Jesus, Mohamed. Does it really matter who we believe

eagle

. particularly relevant to the idea that there is a lot of overlap between what the various religions teach... funny how little cul-de-sacs lead back to the main road.

ok, so to get back to the main thread in a less tangential way, does Buddhism differ from other religions? Speaking purely from a doctrinal point of view for the moment, and leaving aside issues to do with popular buddhism and how it may view nirvana as a heaven or the buddha as a kind of deity, and speaking mostly from a theravada angle, I think the main difference between Buddhism and other religions is the idea of no-self and no ultimate creator God. This is the idea that there is no permanent soul, no essential self, but instead a process of causally related phenomena - on the human level this means that there is no essential, permanent 'I' or self, and on the cosmic level it means that there is no eternal God who forms the foundation of the universe.[/quote

THe Question posed by this thread wasn't what are the differences be tween the various religions but does it matter who you believe.

Some Christians insist their's is the only way, I'm not sure how tolerant the others are. I believe all roads lead us to the same big highway of existence and merely guide our mortal minds. I do enjoy reading all the pros and cons but is one more valid then the other ????

relaxing in Boulder Colorado checking out Thaifriends , does it matter if I check in here or in Pennsylvania or another country :P

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some non-Buddhists reject the idea of an ultimate Creator (mormons and arguably taoists).

yes but it's the reason why buddhism rejects the idea of an ultimate creator God that is so striking - namely, because if everything in the world is impermanent and a causal process, then there can't be any eternal or permanent God-essence.

THe Question posed by this thread wasn't what are the differences be tween the various religions but does it matter who you believe.

Some Christians insist their's is the only way, I'm not sure how tolerant the others are. I believe all roads lead us to the same big highway of existence and merely guide our mortal minds. I do enjoy reading all the pros and cons but is one more valid then the other ????

Seems to me that if one follows a certain religion, it's difficult to figure out how there can't be some sort of hierarchy with regard to how one ultimately views the 'truth' of other religions, although one can respect them greatly.

As you say, some Christians hold the view that if you don't believe in Christ you're damned to hell, whether you're the Buddha, Gandhi, or the most ethical person since Jesus. Buddhism tends to be more tolerant (but not always - there have been Buddhist wars). Generally in Buddhism it seems that other religions can be respected very much because they can get you far along the path. However, to go all the way you need to have adoped the Buddhist path and to have had insight into teachings such as no-self - so a kind of inclusive hierarchy. (For example, according to tradition, the Buddha's meditation teachers were brahmin ascetics and though their teachings could get the Buddha to high levels of meditation that could give high levels of rebirth, they didn't produce enlightenment). And here the idea of rebirth comes in handy - if you're not a Buddhist in this life, hey it doesn't matter you can follow other teachings that are beneficial and maybe you'll hear about Buddhism in the next life.

Apparently, the Dalai Lama is sometimes meant to have discouraged some people from converting to Buddhism, arguing that it would be detrimental and confusing to their practice to depart from the religion that they have grown up with and that is ingrained in their culture (in this case, Christianity).

I didnt read all above replies but just have some story to share...

Last week, Arab guests check out at a 5-star hotel in BKK.

A guy went to reception counter at afternoon and check out,

he said he'll pay only a room (he stayed) and the rest 3 rooms

his friends will pay themselves. But at the evening, hotel staff

found that they gone without any payment of 3 rooms.

Then, they went to notice at police station and security staff checked

to all hotels and found that they moved to live at opposite hotel.

A security went there to discuss this with them.

They said they dont want to PAY ... they are not afraid polices!!

U know...

Finally they paid all... why!?! the reason wasn't the polices will catch them

But the security said ..

If you not pay these expenses I will tell your God 'Alloh' ¾ÃÃÃÑÅÅÃÎì

(i'm not sure for the spelling of God name, I'm not muslim)

The problem guests come from Arab Amirates.

U see it's something about the God Power!!!!

I can't believe! But it just happened last week

To me, the only belief system that isn't very helpful is nihilism, or any idea that encourages people to neglect this world and/or others living in it.

As Nietszche pointed out, those who believe in God and an afterlife can slip into nihilism just as easily as those who don't. Both views can lead one to neglect this life, which is obviously a dumb thing to do.

So I guess all my diatribes could be summed up --- it doesn't really matter what you believe, so long as you believe something. If your hope for a heaven full of virgin nymphs keeps you engaged in this life...good, just don't kill people for it. If your hope for a secular rational world gives you reason to wake up in the morning...good, just don't force others to think like you.

Are you still drunk from last night ?

I didnt read all above replies but just have some story to share...

Last week, Arab guests check out at a 5-star hotel in BKK.

A guy went to reception counter at afternoon and check out,

he said he'll pay only a room (he stayed) and the rest 3 rooms

his friends will pay themselves. But at the evening, hotel staff

found that they gone without any payment of 3 rooms.

Then, they went to notice at police station and security staff checked

to all hotels and found that they moved to live at opposite hotel.

A security went there to discuss this with them.

They said they dont want to PAY ... they are not afraid polices!!

U know...

Finally they paid all... why!?! the reason wasn't the polices will catch them

But the security said ..

If you not pay these expenses I will tell your God 'Alloh' ¾ÃÃÃÑÅÅÃÎì

(i'm not sure for the spelling of God name, I'm not muslim)

The problem guests come from Arab Amirates.

U see it's something about the God Power!!!!

I can't believe! But it just happened last week

Strange, most major hotels demand a credit card when you checkin :shock:

Even still, it's hard to believe that that you'd get them to pay by simply telling them they would tell Allah! If that scared the Arabs enough to get them to pay, wouldn't you think the Arabs would have believed Allah knew it in the first place...

• 4 months later...
Sure they all have Huge books representing them but aren't they all saying basically the same thing.

Couldnt agree more, Eagle. Problem is that the 3 major (shall we say the most belligerent) religions all believe in the same Creator but bash each other over the heads on which ancient scripture holds to be true. Its complete madness.

As for Buddhism, I prefer to think of it as less a religion and more of a set of moral teachings for one to live by. These moral lessons can also be found in scriptures of religions originating from the holy lands of the middle east. So your original point is taken.

Personally, I consider myself Spiritual. I believe in the Creator and thats about it. I also believe in some form of afterlife or re-incarnation but dont worry about it much since I wont find out until I am dead.

ps probably the wrong forum, but what sets us apart from monkeys is really simple: GRAMMAR. in all the experiments conducted on chimps and apes with sign language, they developed vocabulary but not grammar.

all the ethical systems, religiions and philosophies not only would not exist without grammar, but could be viewed as an inevitable product thereof.

Emm...the Thai language does not use grammar. Perhaps you meant logic (and opposable thumbs)?

Just kidding. Got your point. :twisted: