Religion for Houses

farangnbkk

Thai's only: Before this post, have you ever thought about the religion conversion for houses situa  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Thai's only: Before this post, have you ever thought about the religion conversion for houses situa

• Yes
    • No
    • Never heard of this

Hello, I'm curious if any Thais have even thought of the situation that's happening in the Tsunami hit areas.

Shortly after the tsunami, the Thai government decided not to accept financial assistance saying they can handle it. Yet money and aid has not been sent to many places. At this point in time, you have to wonder if it ever will.

Now religion has entered the picture. Largely it is christian churches. These people are building houses and promising free education to those who "convert" to their religion. But not helping anyone else.

Just wondering if you Thais have ever thought about the effects of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Since only 2 people have voted, including myself, and we both voted "never heard of this" I felt it was OK to reply, even though I'm not Thai.

(I have a Thai nickname, does that count?)

But, I'm interested to hear more. Can you provide any details, like links to news stories?

I know something like this is happening, I have no doubt about it. But usually the approach is a little less direct than, "you convert, we help" I think?

There are some good Christian charities that do just focus on "good deeds" and not also on winning souls for Jesus (tend to be the big, best known ones). Unfortunately, there are also many little NGOs which masquerade as development/disaster assistance but whose primary purpose is winning souls.

I've already ranted about this once.

--Ling

There have been some reports about prostletyzing by some faith-based aid organizations. It's not widespread. And if Thaksin and his cronies were doing enough to take care of the victims of the tsunami, there wouldn't be space for this to happen.

Unfortunately, it's helped spread more negative perceptions about NGOs and aid organizations. The government, police, military and others in power (with the help of ignorant and compliant media) have been doing a good enough job of that on their own without help from idiotic evangelicals.

There have been a number of articles in the local papers.

Here's one after a quick search:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/page.arcview.php?clid=2&id=122364&usrsess=

If it's not widesdpread, why is this happening here, Indonesia, etc....

I really wanted to know what Thais think.

I consult and deal with several companies who have large parts of their operations in the south and the information from locals and what we get up here is just amazingly different.

When I say it's not widespread, I mean it's a tiny minority of aid groups that are involved in it. That doesn't mean those particular aid groups aren't in more than one country.

If it's only a tiny minority, why are there so many articles in some Thai media about it?

I think you can figure that one out for yourself.