Moving to Linux?

tallboyno1

Well I don?t mean physically moving :P but how many have of you have tried to move from Microsoft to free open software like Linux?

I am just sick and tired of all set ups with Microsoft software and will next year throw Microsoft out of my computers. Linux should be faster, less hazzeling with ActiveX, faster boot, more secure, no spying in the background from Microsoft loggin your behaviour and identity checks etc :twisted: :twisted:

Here is a good link from someone that migrate from Microsoft to Linux. http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=485&Itemid=0&limit=1&limitstart=0

So I am wondering if any of you are using Linux as desktop and if so which distribution have you tried?

I only have experience on the server side where its works very well.

... Micro$ofts .doc format is proprietary and non-portable..

But isnt it transparant with Openoffice? you can use and open these files from Openoffice.....

Find this page about Linux programmes and look interesting..

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8520

Ubuntu distribution seem to be a good replacement for the desktop instead of Windows XP

Hey,

It s something I m looking (and studying) to do also. Moving to linux but if I use one i use Fedora (from redhat) following the advise of some heavy linux workers and programmers. Also some other distribution are very good, I don t want to enter in this debate it s not the matter.

I think the problem is not about the apps, u can find nearly all including messengers, cd and dvd burner, corel, etc... but more about the managing of periferical device like printer i own a laser color and a A3+ printer... there s driver but for example with the laser color I can not print in Landscape... This is this kind of details that are anoying. Usually the drivers are super basic as they are not native. Also for my new Nokia N70, I m not sure I can synchronise it, back up it, for the moment I don t investigate. Maybe I can synchronise it but does it go to respect me all the fields? All my calendar entry (as ie the repetition) it s something common I experimente after using several OS in the past... over 20 years using pc!!!

So finally, if u want to make basical office job, picture editing, some webpages, light messenger (up to 6.5 protocol for msn for the moment) and surf the web with the excelent Firefox (i use it on MS) go on!

If u want to setup servers the choice is simple Linux, Linux and Linux.

But if u need more specifics needs Linux is a cheap solution (not all is free on Linux...) but go to cost u more than MS spending time and sometime without resolving problems or finding solution.

Finally for a basic (and efficient) work viva Linux!

... Micro$ofts .doc format is proprietary and non-portable..

But isnt it transparant with Openoffice? you can use and open these files from Openoffice.....

Errrr,aaaah.. NO.
through reverse-engineering. NOTHING is 100%,

Yes I know that and have experienced it too (not 100% with MS a lot too)! :D

If you don?t use all of the features of M$ Word, you might be fine. Your .docs might also come out messed up, because there are no guarantees. Be advised that even Micro$oft Office has trashed M$ Word files between versions.

But isn?t that almost a y e s from my question? lol

I know they cant open every .doc file from ages and the absolutely new ones and to get it in the 100% right format nor do MS Word too with some files. It can also be messy if you take an old Mac MS Word file and open it with the latest PC MS Word its a mess! But in general you c a n open almost every MS word dok with OpenOffice na? Isn?t that the trick they have solved?

If you aren't porting a mass of stuff, and your files are not terribly complex, you are probably fine. A hand tweak here and there is probably all you will need. If you have 50gig of old MS Word files that you absolutely need access to, that were written by a Word Nerd, you might think about setting up a test box and accessing those files, just to make sure.

For future reference, the next version of M$ Word is going to change the file format, so if you want to switch, now is a VERY good time. The open source guys will take a while to catch up with the new format, and be sure M$ will not make it easy. As a matter of fact, they might try to make it impossible, because no matter what they say, they are afraid of Linux on the Desktop. They tried to ignore Linux in server space and got their ass handed to them. I don?t think they will make that mistake again.

The real problem is that you sometimes need this software (MS Word) that open these n e w . doc files unfortunately :D and be sure that MS love it

• 1 month later...

I dont understand how opera is better than IE ?

Well.. i

use opensourceoffice too...coz i am lazy to fill in the password for Office.

but when i sent my paper to my teacher, he replied that the file cannot be opened. I was a bit worried. But i found out that, unlike Word program, we can change file to .pdf directly.

:D