Ghosts

Tinian

Ghosts are a strange thing.

In nearly all cultures, there are some people who claim to believe in ghosts while others dismiss the idea as superstition. Those that believe in ghosts sometimes seem to be able to 'switch' from a mindset which views spirits as surrounding them at all times to a mindset which gets on with 'ordinary life' and acts as if these spirits are not around. How does this double-way of looking at the world work?

In Thailand, ghosts and spirits (phii) are very commonly talked about and sometimes are appeased or worshipped.

Do you believe in ghosts?

How do ghosts fit into religion? Do they at all? In Christian cultures, ghosts or spirits are sometimes treated as separate from religion and sometimes as part of it. What about Buddhism?

What anyone 'believes' is completely unimportant. I may believe in God or not, but that that doesn't mean he/she exists or not. Belief is not knowledge or understanding, it's just a cheap and easy substitute for them.

Maybe there are ghosts, maybe not - I personally couldn't care less. If there are any, I request them to appear to me, so I 'know' they are there. And then I'll tell them to bugger off and get stuffed.

Thais waste way too much time on ghosts and all that shebang. It just shows a deep-seated insecurity and fear. When one is secure within one's own personality, all those ghosts and gods become completely immaterial.

• 1 month later...

I DO BELIEVE THERE ARE GHOSTS!

To me ghosts are spirits/souls that don't have bodies. So they are just like us but we have bodies. But what I don't get is that why don't they weather go to heaven or hell? Why are they still around?

Ghosts are believed by people around the world not just in one area.. so somehow I think that proves..

...sorry for such a broken English, I hope I made it understood.