Your favorite places to eat non thai food

jay24

Question

Yeah as I move to Bkk in 3 weeks I start thinking about where I will get yummy non thai food from. I looooove thai food but I know I will get tired of it after a while and also want to eat some other food.

So what are your favorite restaurants and places to get non thai food?

Where are they and how much does a regular meal cost?

Ahhhh Im hungry right now! :D

That Piri-Piri Chicken place on the 5th floor of the Emporium, even though it is a blatant rip-off of Nado's (quite shocking really!).

I find myself drawn t the Bamboo for their very cheap (but delicious) Pizza and Kebabs too... althought the Felafel place in Khao San (Israeli Connection) is even better for the latter.

Pasta Charlies in Central Rama 3 does steaks as nice a Sizzlers (which is actually not that great) for half the price, and you get the salad and soup as well. The lasagne for 110 Baht gets you the soup and salad too, and it is really tasty.

I take exception to paying western prices for sub-standard western food, especially when I know how little the Thai staff get paid. I didn't come to Bkk to make some second rate farang chef rich.

BenihanaTrader Vics (the one dessert made this a choice)

2U,

I personally think TV is over-rated ....

The last time I was there with 8-9 Mates - Paid 38K-ish for food and drinks ... Food were totally crap .... very disappointed.

If I have to go to some place by the River .. I prefer Buritara --->>> www.buritara.com

Less expensive .... more FUN ...

-WB-

Benihana

Giannis

Garden of Eden

Trader Vics (the one dessert made this a choice)

Marriott riverside Buffet

Barbican

Yorkies - Jomtien

Jools soiNANA - breakfast only

Neils Tavern

Most places on LangSuan - I'm eating my way up and down the soi...

.. have you tried the new -Coffee Bean- at Soi Ruam Ruedee yet ?

Will start on Ruam Rudee after Lang Suan..

See my disclaimer for Trader Vic, the Devils food cake in a coconut shell made it a choice...

.. well next time then ... BUT am not that impressed ... really.

Mmm well, the long island ice tea was good though ... :wink:

:) I, somehow, feel someone works there..... Mmmmmm :roll:

Yeah as I move to Bkk in 3 weeks I start thinking about where I will get yummy non thai food from. I looooove thai food but I know I will get tired of it after a while and also want to eat some other food.

So what are your favorite restaurants and places to get non thai food?

Where are they and how much does a regular meal cost?

Ahhhh Im hungry right now! :D

Im also hungry.. Let's go for dinner.. What about No. 43 at Soi Lang Saun , Italian's food which has Italian chef stand by make your pizza by order.. ? ? ? :o

Hmm...Anyone here can tell me about a good japanese resturant?....

Not Fuji! or Zen or Sumo.......

Expensive Ones < approx. 3,000-5,000 bhts for 2 ppl>

- Maru - Thonglor 3

< Best teppanyaki in town >

- The Japanese Restaurant @ the basement of the Erawan shopping centre

- Koi - Sukhumvit 20 <Food is so-so BUT its a to be seen place.>

Resonable Ones < approx. 1,000-3,000 for 2 ppl>

- Sonies / Sukhumvit 39 - Its fusion - Mixed betweeb Jap/Intalian .. super YUMMY

<Try King Rolls / Queen Rolls/ Norway Rolls/ Rainbow Rolls .... Something you dream of when you sleep.>

- Shin Daikoku - Sukhumvit 19-20 and at the President Hotel Ratchdamri int. Sec

Hmm...Anyone here can tell me about a good japanese resturant?....

Not Fuji! or Zen or Sumo.......

Expensive Ones < approx. 3,000-5,000 bhts for 2 ppl>

- Maru - Thonglor 3

< Best teppanyaki in town >

- The Japanese Restaurant @ the basement of the Erawan shopping centre

Resonable Ones < approx. 1,000-3,000 for 2 ppl>

- Sonies / Sukhumvit 39 - Its at fusion Mixed betweeb Jap/Intalian .. super YUMMY

<Try King Rolls / Queen Rolls/ Norway Rolls/ Rainbow Rolls .... Something you dream of when you sleep.>

- Shin Daikoku - Sukhumvit 19-20 and at the President Hotel Ratchdamri int. Sec

I see....I am interested in Any kind of rolls ....hehe...sounds funny :D

Thank you very much

I am a BIG fan of Sonnie's ..... :D

I insist you TRY it ... now, they have a new branch at Playgound.

BUT go @ Suk 39 - Tel. 02 258 8836

P' WB

I don't judge food so much by it's price. Some of my Japanese associates earning in excess of 1-2 million baht per month have taken me to some wonderful authentic Japanese restaurants. One place marinates a fish until its bones are soft enough that a baby could eat them. It's available only once per week, must be preordered, is delicious, and costs only 200 baht. There are also some good, inexpensive restaurants in Thonglar that kick Fuji's (ok as a food) and Zen's (puke) as*.

Tiger Wood,

Its NOT about pirce .. But decent Jap food seems to be expensive.

<Teppanyaki is expensive as the good quality meat is imported, Sashimi is expensive as those good quality fish are imported..>

I do LOVE Jap Food .... to bits.

-WB-

Its NOT about pirce .. But decent Jap food seems to be expensive.

<Teppanyaki is expensive as the meat is imported, Sashimi is expensive as the good quality fish are imported>

I do LOVE Jap Food .... to bits.

-WB-

Yes..Agree

Must be fresh .....that's reason why it's expensive

I love japanese food also :D

SFAW Sweetie Pie,

Good Girl ... :D ... Try Shin Dai Koku ... NOT expensive ... 500 -1,000 Bhts will do.

and I insist you give a TRY @ Sonies .... :wink:

P' Riya

WB,

I'm not knocking what you said. I agree, imported Japanese food stock can get very expensive. In one restaurant a Japanese complained about the price and was told to leave, without paying his bill (which was supposedly 20,000 b+) and ordered not to return if he couldn't afford it -big loss of face considering he lives here. But to people who don't want to spend more than 1000-2000 there is still some great authentic tasting food about town that literally makes Zen taste like crap. :)

Point Taken ... Tiger Wood.. :wink:

< thats the reason why I have never been to Fuji or Zen... or whatever.... I consider them NOT worth value of my money... >

For Italian, try Pomodoro on Sukhumivit between sois 3 and 5. Best eggplant parmigiana in Thailand. Lots of other good stuff too.

Good food, I agree, if a bit pricey. But as a bonus one gets a good view of all the street hookers and punters right at the bus stop in front of the restaurant - but beware, some of the human flotsam might spoil your appetite.

This restaurant is not to be confused with the other Pomodoro nearby, between sois 7 and 9, which is more a bit more down-market and not all that great.

Japanese

-Dai No Ki, soi Lang Suan opp. Lang Suan soi 5. The menu is not that extensive but the food is good.

-Taketei, Nana plaza not on Sukhumvit but on Khao San road. The only Jap restaurant that my non-jap food eating friends of mine would go to. Very reasonable price cos of its location but good all the same. Hashi san, the owner, always adds something new to the menu.

-Benihana, I somehow prefer the one at the Marriott Riverside but there's also one at that mall connected to the Marriott in Pattaya. The chefs are not very entertaining in Patty I think.

-Ramentei, very good ramen and I also like the fried veggie with liver. Big portion reasonable price. 2 branches, Suk. 31 (opp. The Bull's Head) and Soi Thaniya (opp. Barbican)

Mexican

-Senor Pico, Rembrandt Hotel Sukhumvit 18

Italian

-Delicatezza, Thong Lor don't remember between which soi exactly but its near Family Mart

-L'Opera, just great. I also like their pizza, I think their sauce is the best.

-Biscotti, Four Seasons hotel. The cheese pizza is almost better than sex. Ummmmmm....dripping just the thought of it...my mouth that is.

French

-Philippe, Suk 39

-Crepe & Co., is it considered French? Haha....always love having breakfast there.

International

-Barbican, Soi Thaniya off Silom. Oh and the tuesday DJ is not bad :wink:

-Trader Vic...only ever been to their brunch but anyone that let me have as many oyster & vodka shots as I want...will gain the point.

Vietnamese-Ngon Lam, Thong Lor by Tops Market Place between Thong Lor soi 4 & 6

-Thang Long, Soi Lang Suan.

Chinese-Kam Long Hong Kong Kitchen, very very old small place. Kinda opp. Pizza company

-That big place Shark Fin place on Lang Suan that we just call it "the dim sum place". Not only good for dim sum...just try it

-Tidbit Treasure, Suk. 31.

That's all I can think of right now.

Really?

The place is owned by a very rich Pakistani (who I also thinks owns a model agency at the back). He gives models vouchers for free drinks and dishes at the japanese restaurant. (It is, of course, simply a ploy to shag gorgeous girls - a ploy, incidentally, that seems to work extremely well.)

So the place is effectively a canteen for models - admittedly a petty good one - the cold sushi/sashimi is pretty lousy but the hot dishes are great. (It is a sister restaurant to the Hollywood hangout in LA)

But as a place to be seen - I feel a bit of a plonker being about the only person in the whole restaurant that is actually paying.

Really?

The place is owned by a very rich Pakistani (who I also thinks owns a model agency at the back). He gives models vouchers for free drinks and dishes at the japanese restaurant. (It is, of course, simply a ploy to shag gorgeous girls - a ploy, incidentally, that seems to work extremely well.)

So the place is effectively a canteen for models - admittedly a petty good one - the cold sushi/sashimi is pretty lousy but the hot dishes are great. (It is a sister restaurant to the Hollywood hangout in LA)

But as a place to be seen - I feel a bit of a plonker being about the only person in the whole restaurant that is actually paying.

Sir Rob,

"Koi" is a copycat of "Nobu"

When you have tired "Nobu".... you cant say that "Ko-i" is Great...

So-So is considered as a fair comment to "Koi"

Its Good as its a to be seen place ... as simple as that...

MMmm wait until "Nobu" is here in BKK .. then we talk about how good it is...

-WB-