Anyone ever been to Africa?

LudwigVonMises

I'm planning a trip to Nigeria soon to collect my US$2,000,000 cut as part of helping a guy get some money out of the country. I'll give you $500,000 if you go for me - I'm kind of busy at the moment.

Besides being born in Kenya, never been to Africa except Egypt. Egypt has some interesting sights obviously if you can stomach being treated as a dollar sign by 99% of the people you meet.

--Ling

So far I hv been to Cameroun, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South-Africa (cape town, just for a few days) ......... Mostly ppl r nice. But u will hv to deal with a lot of medical risk: Malaria, HIV, Hepatytus, green fever ...... the wild life is great (especially in the South of Africa) in Namibia, Zimbabwe and Botswana (and I heard it's much cheaper than Kenia). For those who have interest in ppl and culture: Cameroun, Mali, Senegal, Marokko (mind the coast, go to the Berbers), Ethyopia ........ and there r more

If so, what's it like? What kind of preparations/precautions, etc., would you recommend?

Where in Africa are you going? It does make a difference!

I've been there many times including Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Kenya. Each country is very unique, some enjoyable, some not.

I'm told that they defecate in the streets in Lagos, Nigeria. Stop-squat-continue walking. Heavy traffic? Step outside the car for a moment, get back in when you're done.

Wasn't it Daz that was saying that you only left the hotel with a security guard during the day, and not at all at night? (Lagos, again)

I wonder if the stench of human waste is any worse than some public places in Delhi. :lol:

I suppose it depends on what your stench threshold is. Mine's low.

I'm planning a trip to Nigeria soon to collect my US$2,000,000 cut as part of helping a guy get some money out of the country. I'll give you $500,000 if you go for me - I'm kind of busy at the moment.

Besides being born in Kenya, never been to Africa except Egypt. Egypt has some interesting sights obviously if you can stomach being treated as a dollar sign by 99% of the people you meet.

--Ling

You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to go to Nigeria. I don't have a death wish.

If so, what's it like? What kind of preparations/precautions, etc., would you recommend?

Where in Africa are you going? It does make a difference!

I've been there many times including Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, and Kenya. Each country is very unique, some enjoyable, some not.

I don't plan to go for quite some time, I was just curious. The countries I had in mind, though, were Botswana and Uganda.

So far I hv been to Cameroun, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South-Africa (cape town, just for a few days) ......... Mostly ppl r nice. But u will hv to deal with a lot of medical risk: Malaria, HIV, Hepatytus, green fever ...... the wild life is great (especially in the South of Africa) in Namibia, Zimbabwe and Botswana (and I heard it's much cheaper than Kenia). For those who have interest in ppl and culture: Cameroun, Mali, Senegal, Marokko (mind the coast, go to the Berbers), Ethyopia ........ and there r more

Is Zimbabwe even safe to visit!? :o

Egypt has some interesting sights obviously if you can stomach being treated as a dollar sign by 99% of the people you meet.

--Ling

been to india, used to it.

been to nana, used to it.

Thailand doesn't come anywhere close to Egypt in those terms. After all, Egypt has had those pyramids and tombs, plus proximity to Europe, to ensure about 50 years longer history of widespread tourism for locals to become jaded by. I've heard Morocco is hard to beat in these terms too, but I've never been. India? Delhi's not nearly so bad as Cairo, maybe Agra is up there with Luxor, but other than that I've only been in untouristed parts of India so don't know.

--Ling

if you want to try out africa....try south africa as a "warm up lap"....its to africa what singapore is to asia.....a mild dose of the real thing .....perfectly safe (if you keep yourm head and dont go rushing around townships with your freaking camera) ....

why ?

great game viewing , excellent infrastructure , modern , clean , great beaches , excellent golf estates , the zulus , the xhosa , the dutch , the english , the indians , the tswana etc etc (seriously rich and distinctive cultures) , cape town , the cradle of mankind , tugela falls , kruger national (south africa has more preserved land per its size in the world) , the fynbos , the karoo etc etc etc ,

after you got a feel for africa...then head into surrounding places like namibia , mozambique , zambia (rather than zimbabwe right now) , botswana etc ..

africa really is an amazing place.....hard to describe the appeal till you have been in the open spaces , and felt the heartbeat of the wild....ok I'll stop before I get too corny.....

Is Zimbabwe even safe to visit!? :o

I think, not at the moment ...... but, u can always ask ur ministry of Foreign Affairs or look it up on the internet.

if you want to try out africa....try south africa as a "warm up lap"....its to africa what singapore is to asia.....a mild dose of the real thing .....perfectly safe (if you keep yourm head and dont go rushing around townships with your freaking camera) ....

why ?

great game viewing , excellent infrastructure , modern , clean , great beaches , excellent golf estates , the zulus , the xhosa , the dutch , the english , the indians , the tswana etc etc (seriously rich and distinctive cultures) , cape town , the cradle of mankind , tugela falls , kruger national (south africa has more preserved land per its size in the world) , the fynbos , the karoo etc etc etc ,

after you got a feel for africa...then head into surrounding places like namibia , mozambique , zambia (rather than zimbabwe right now) , botswana etc ..

africa really is an amazing place.....hard to describe the appeal till you have been in the open spaces , and felt the heartbeat of the wild....ok I'll stop before I get too corny.....

They also are a proud sporting nation very good at rugby and cricket (rated at number 3 behind England and Australia (No 1)

I'd take a supply of mozzie spray & immodium and look into a course of anti-malaria drugs if you've got the time. You might also want to take a bottle of stomach coat, if you've got room in your bag, just in case you eat something that irritates your stomach.

Try to eat at the hotel restaurants (if you're in a decent hotel) and if you have to eat street food, stick with the dry stuff, like sausage rolls, or packaged things.

People DO **** & piss in the streets. But it's not so bad if you don't get out of your taxi cab. Of course, people piss on the side of the road all the time in Thailand....

I've only been to Nigeria. And most of my public experience was in Lagos. The rest of the time I was in a fenced in compound on the coast. I can tell you that over my 5 years there, I've been bitten by mozzies thousands of times and I only got malaria once.

Oh...and if you're going to be shagging there, if it's even a slight possibility, then take some Durex condoms with you. If you don't use them, you can always "dash" them to someone when you leave.

If you've got the room, it's a good idea to bring some candies to give kids when you're out and about. Don't give it to them where you'll get mobbed. But if there are a few kids around, give them a few candies and you'll see some truly genuine smiles.

why ?

Thanks. Kruger National Park is definitely high on my list. I also want to see the Apartheid Museum in Johannesberg (even though that will be extremely depressing).

Sub in Mongolia for Africa and you have an equally true statement. However, you can't see elephants, but if you're (extremely) lucky out in the wild you might see a snow leopard.

--Ling