Hw long will you stay in Thailand?

CMG_UK

Question

if i lived there, the answer would be......"until i feel like leaving"

when i am there on holidays, the answer is......"i think my flight leaves****" (* - insert date of flight)

and the winner of the superbowl will be........(who gives a flying f**k)

Not me, for sure... Good answers...

CMG_UK

When I am asked this question, I am never sure what to reply.

Me either...Guess I don't have any plan...I'm content...if something changed for the worst I have to decide at that time..

The one question I dislike is, ''when will you go back to your country?'' as if this is some sort of temporary assignment or contract..I know that many expat's are on some sort of contract with a set date of return...Many like my American collegue in Singapore count the days till they can return ''home''

For myself ''wherever I lay my hat that's my home''...I'm here because I choose to be. I could concievable live just about anywhere in the World but right now Thailand is the best option...Having lived in so many places since my childhood I don't have strong feelings of alliegence or homesickness for any place in particular....I have always thought I'd end up wherever my eventual wife/GF was happiest..

CMG_UK
When I am asked this question, I am never sure what to reply.

Me either...Guess I don't have any plan...I'm content...if something changed for the worst I have to decide at that time..

The one question I dislike is, ''when will you go back to your country?'' as if this is some sort of temporary assignment or contract..I know that many expat's are on some sort of contract with a set date of return...Many like my American collegue in Singapore count the days till they can return ''home''

For myself ''wherever I lay my hat that's my home''...I'm here because I choose to be. I could concievable live just about anywhere in the World but right now Thailand is the best option...Having lived in so many places since my childhood I don't have strong feelings of alliegence or homesickness for any place in particular....I have always thought I'd end up wherever my eventual wife/GF was happiest..

Thats how I feel to about settling down. Home is a heartbeat, when I find a girl I want to settle with I will have my home...........

Funny...how the place of your birth seems to define you to others....but not always to yourself...

My problem being, although I'm almost 40 I have only lived in UK around 5 years of my life...I feel more of a stranger there that I do in Singapore. HK or Thailand..

That type of feeling is hard to explain to anyone who has never left their own country and lived overseas...

Funny...how the place of your birth seems to define you to others....but not always to yourself...

My problem being, although I'm almost 40 I have only lived in UK around 5 years of my life...I feel more of a stranger there that I do in Singapore. HK or Thailand..

That type of feeling is hard to explain to anyone who has never left their own country and lived overseas...

I've been all over the US and visited other countries in south america and europe. Moving to another country isn't on my mind but being near a woman I love would be a big draw unless of course she has the itch to be in the US. Of course I can scratch that itch but I want to see the rest of the world too....

I'm nearly 40 too..don't remind me. time to start telling some white lies.

I'll always be English and will miss some (idealised) vision of my homeland, but it doesn't mean I have to be in England.

Home is where the heart is.

Relax guys I'm nearly 50 and no one can tell here till I tell them and I'm still having fun so you guys have at least 10 good years left :lol:

Maybe time to grow some fungus to hide the lines..

Nahh, on second thoughts, i'll stick to my moisturiser

news flash for ya!!! girl don't mind a few lines they like the calm and confidence of older guys. Attitude is everything !! Of course there are some immature older guys too :lol:

Aw look at you ladies spending quality time together...

I'm out of here in October...cos that's when I'll graduate (hopefully). I love Thailand and its going to be really damn hard to leave, but I feel like I'm not progressing anymore...maybe I'll come back someday...maybe not.

Ladies :shock: hope ya find what your wantin :idea:

Aw look at you ladies spending quality time together...

I'm out of here in October...cos that's when I'll graduate (hopefully). I love Thailand and its going to be really damn hard to leave, but I feel like I'm not progressing anymore...maybe I'll come back someday...maybe not.

I didn't come to Thailand to progress; regress maybe. I'm in my 2nd childhood now, but I still feel responsibility and stability could be just around the corner. Roots can sprout quickly.

Jay24:

im pretty sure not longer then 1-2 years because i want to check out some other places in asia as well.

Thats an interesting point too Jay...Guess how long you will stay depends alot on how old or how well travelled you were when you first come to Thailand..

For younger guys/girls it can be an exciting introduction to Asia or a fun interlude during study..But you may feel there is more to see and do in life..Might be the reason you left your home country in the first place

For older guys especially if they have travelled a lot or have started a new relationship the idea of settling here permenantly can really appeal.

I've ''done'' almost every country in Asia....still waiting to get to Burma..

And for my situation Thailand is the best option.....just need the right girl and I will be complete...Really only place I haven't explored that holds any interest for me is South America...But i will get a job offer there at some time or another..so why sweat it...

I have friends in their 60's who are still travelling and visiting new places so I have heaps of time...

after year one....I couldnt wait to go back

after year two....i thought I should go back

after year three ...i thought i would never come back

now ....i miss certain things......but i'm suckling on the nipples of the easy life here in S.A ......and I am sure I will never go back other than for the odd 3 month spurt or whatever .....

its not that i dont love thailand...its just perhaps that i might love it a little too much....and i'm a wee bit young to get stuck on one gig i think ....lots more to do in life...

Well, what a peacefully and agreeable thread. :-) So nice to see. :D Time to write my next novel. And I see zeus and ciaran aren't even here to chide me about that. :-) Edit: robbie couldn't possibly have been chiding me about that.

Well, I haven't traveled much at all. Before moving here I had only been down to the US a few times, and on holiday here once for a month. In the more than five years that I have been calling Thailand home I have met many others here who have lived in a number of other Asian countries, but all agreed that they found Thailand the best place to live. I'm not eager to take the time to adapt to another culture; I most want to learn more Thai. I have not been back to Canada in this time and I have not really missed it or anyone there.

I went to work in Kuwait for a year and a half since moving here, and in that time I did adapt to the culture there and found that I could see myself living there long-term if the opportunity was there. I enjoyed the money compared to what I have been able to make here, and the climate and relatively clean air were nice. But I couldn't wait to get back here whenever I had a holiday. I could see myself living other places for similar reasons, but I have very little motivation to leave here.

I also don't like the question, "When will you go back to your country?" I usually answer, ?Oh, I live here now. If I go back then it would just be for a holiday visit.?

**** moderator note ****

the flashing lights and cop car rolling up on you means you will all start playing nice really really fast or expect some decorative cards, and possibly even a vacation from the site (many of you already know what that's like, you troublemakers)

in best officer bar brady voice

"keep moving, people, nothing to see"

***end moderator note ****