Prostitution in SE Asia, read before you judge .....

Pauld

Found a very interesting article on prostitution in SE Asia. It answered many questions for me. It can get a bit long winded at times but worth sticking to as it keeps coming up with some interesting facts. A good article to get a better understanding of why some women have to (or choose to) take up this "profession".

I actually think that some of these "working girls" are very honourable in the sacrifice they make in order to support thier families. And of course, some of them just don't have any choice.

Well worth a read :

http://www.links.net/vita/swat/course/prosthai.html

You're right. well worth reading!

"While the foreign aspect of prostitution in Thailand and the Philippines may garner the most attention and money, most of the customers, patronizing the cheapest establishments, are native: "[a]ccording to reliable surveys of sexual behaviour, every day at least 450,000 Thai men visit prostitutes"47 (emphasis mine). Thus, much of the impetus sustaining the incredible rate of prostitution in Thailand is cultural; "Thai men think it is their right to have cheap sex, ... and there are enough poor Thai women to make it possible."48 Prostitution in many cases has become integrated with initiation rights: "[f]or many Thai men, a trip to the neighborhood brothel is a rite of passage, a tradition passed from father to son."49 Certainly, prostitutes play a large part in forming the sexual identity of young Thai males; "a demonstration of heterosexual orientation by having sex with a female prostitute is an important rite of passage for some groups of Thai men."50 This is borne out by the available statistics: "tudies show that the majority of Thai men have their first sexual experience with a prostitute - the act is often a part of high school and university hazing rituals - and that 95% of all men over 21 have slept with a prostitute."51 In addition to rites of passage, the activity of visiting a whorehouse has become a social activity in many cases, "'Sex with prostitutes seems to be a way for men to enjoy each other's company,' notes Barbara Franklin of Care International, ... 'It is often part of a night out with friends who share food, drink and sometimes even sexual partners."

I haven't read it yet but I have saved it into my PC. Will read it on the weekend (if I'm at home...hehehe...)

I think many Western people think that because we are Thai we know ANYTHING Thai. It's simply NOT true. Prostitution issue is the same. Many Thai girls don't know much about it other than the bad reputation of the prostitution which directly or indirectly affect them. Many don't know any other causes than poverty. I think one in a while we should discuss this issue at least to educate people/the girls a bit and to make people think about it.

Hi Celtic. Sorry mate, but sounds like the only person obsessing here, is you!

Yes, the subject of prosititution does come up on the forum now and then, as does many other aspects of sex and relationships. But, one reason I posted this link was because I thought it a very informed and unbiased article/paper and seemed to answer many questions that I have seen posted, especially by some of the girls. Did you take the time to read it? If you did, its not only about Thailand, but the whole region of SE Asia. But as we all know, prostitution is a global and thriving profession, and always will be, no matter how much we try to ignore it!

And, being a link, it will only be read by people who are interested or curios about the subject.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Its known as the oldest profession in the world and the more poor women and Men I remind you the more it prevails. All the world had prostitutes nd its a job. Conditions and safety in the modern world make it more and more perilous WHos to judge? better to see one not feeling bad in a better life. Its a hard life. HOw did the guy end up washing dishes in the Diner for years and years? he needed money.