Marriage according to the Bible

condotown

I haven't really checked these for authenticity, but if they are accurate, I might re-examine my agnostic stance:

Let us examine what the Bible has to say regarding marriage:

1) Marriage shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women.(Gen 29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5.)

2) Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam 5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)

3) A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed (Deut 22:13-21)

4) Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen 24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh 10:30)

5) Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)

Do any TF's have a Bible to check these out?

he he

man...just been watching a documentary on m-theory , super strings and the 11th dimension.......(parrallell dimensions etc)

might be we can shut up the religious zealists once and for all....mathematical and scientific proof for the universe/big bang without the necessary questions regarding what happened pre-singularity....(which as a matter of fact....can be in my opinion be explained if we accept the laws of physics break down at this point even without this new theory......but of course....that breaks any hopes of being able to "prove it" as of course...science itselfs loses its validity as it cant tell us what happened before the big bang ...only imagination then can....believe it or not...not the same thing)

if you dont understand what the hell i am talking about......dont even start to assume you can discuss "god" .......and please dont bore me with silly old books

(by the way ...I think JC existed and was a pretty cool dude)

5) Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)

Sounds ominous.Somebody read this to me on my wedding day at the altar...I think I'd put Julia Roberts to shame.

first you have to get her to marry you :lol:

Sounds ominous.Somebody read this to me on my wedding day at the altar...I think I'd put Julia Roberts to shame.

Actually I was referring to her movie 'Runaway Bride'

Actually, I think you are too light on organized religions. They have set back scientific development hundreds of years and killed countless people in the name of their own arrogance and certainty of the never to be proven.

The sooner that god, jehovah, and allah all go the way of the ancient Greek and Roman mythic gods, the better off this whole world will be.

Actually I was referring to her movie 'Runaway Bride'

yea I know, but I had my runaway fantasy too :wink: :lol:

discovery channel, huh? Man.... you must've been bored to watch that!

lol

guilty!

arm-chair cosmology is my passion .......its constant fight not to bore people with it........especially when I've puffed on a joint......all I need to say is "have you ever thought...?" and you never seen a room of stoners move with such motivation and purpouse

man...just been watching a documentary on m-theory , super strings and the 11th dimension.......(parrallell dimensions etc)

might be we can shut up the religious zealists once and for all....mathematical and scientific proof for the universe/big bang without the necessary questions regarding what happened pre-singularity....(which as a matter of fact....can be in my opinion be explained if we accept the laws of physics break down at this point even without this new theory......but of course....that breaks any hopes of being able to "prove it" as of course...science itselfs loses its validity as it cant tell us what happened before the big bang ...only imagination then can....believe it or not...not the same thing)

if you dont understand what the hell i am talking about......dont even start to assume you can discuss "god" .......and please dont bore me with silly old books

do u even f**king understand what the above post is supposed to mean !!

• 10 months later...
wouldnt surprise me...the bible say some unbelievably stupid sh*t.....

what do you expect of a book "written" by some animistic desert dwellers

Interesting educated comment... I looked up to see who studied these ignoramuses and found something, at least one story about how the KJV translated version came about. Some even say Shakespeare even wrote parts of its final version; but I've even heard that some say he was King James cousin... anyway, from here to eternity, from here to the All Mighty's ears... who knows, maybe the animalistic desert dwellers had something going for themselves.

Anyway the topic is marraige according to the bible... going all the way back to Adam and Eve with KJV... it would be interesting to see what other cultures represented here have to say about marriage according to their faith or sense of spirituality. Is it that morality basis marriage on ethics, law and virtue; or is it based on the idea of four other basic components, disease, multiplying human race, ensuring that one person knows that they don't have to be alone in this world, and the idea we learned in kindergarden of show and tell to make friends (the adult version of childs play is of course sex and romance). Or is marriage about legalizing prostitution, of course this subjigates or makes a slave out of one of the sexes, still, that depends on the way you think about or look at it as to which is the object and which is the subject.

Who knows

Bobby

• 2 months later...

do u even f**king understand what the above post is supposed to mean !!

:shock: the Ghost of Slurms :shock:

Actually, I think you are too light on organized religions. They have set back scientific development hundreds of years and killed countless people in the name of their own arrogance and certainty of the never to be proven.

The sooner that god, jehovah, and allah all go the way of the ancient Greek and Roman mythic gods, the better off this whole world will be.

I agree.

I agree.

Great!

Now let's just kill countless people for absolutely nothing!

if one speculates on the demise of neanderthals, one might well arrive at the conclusion that Homo sapiens have been doing that since well before the current crop of organized religions.

mind you i dont have proof, though.... won't press charges.... yet.

on reflection the above posts reeks of arrogance...and I realise its just common decency to try and be tolerant of peoples beliefs ....

OK, I will tolerate other's beliefs as long as they are not totally stupid dinks trying to push their sh*t on me. Fair is fair.

i respect people's right to believe whatever they want.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean i'm obligated to respect the beliefs themselves.

and as you say when they start hanging their stuff out in public, fair's fair---it's as much a target as an item to peddle.