5 or more things u look for from a gym, yoga, fitness club

anenglishman

Yeah, I know, boring topic but I am doing some research so I am interested to see what anyone says. If u join a gym or such like place what are u looking for, what is most importnat to u, or what do u most dislike. As an example, i look for:

1) early opening and late closing

2) best equipment

3) instructors to advise on using equipment, especially the weight machines

4) high quality shower and change facilities

5) not too many people there all at the same time (which basically means high prices)

6) varied offerings, for example providing yoga as well as basic fitness

7) high quality personal training from properly qualified trainers

8) close to a bts/mrt

You can probably figure out where I am coming from.

freaking exercise machine hooked up to games......like hook up the cycling machines to some bmx ......such a simple concept and yet never seen it ....

technology is pretty simple too ....

.....showers with freaking doors ! am I like the only one not in on some kind of homosexual iunderculture that frequent gyms ? I dont get it....every gym in my area has this drastic "under"sight....

How about many branches so that when you are in another part of the city or country, you can still work out there.

I personally like chin up/pull up bars to utilize gravity guiding inversion boots.

I'm really amazed to find that most fitness centers do not have these readily available to help decompress the spine.

anenglishman, not a boring topic at all. I have worked in gyms and health clubs for the last few years. In every role imaginable apart from - gym owner !

Statistically when it comes to membership retention in clubs. People feel the most important issue is contact with gym staff. Do the instructors say hello ? Do they know their name ? Do they have a chat with them ?

Going to health clubs is a social thing for many people rather than a desire to get fit/ improve their bodies. IMO most people in gyms are wasting their time through lack of effort when they're training. Funnily these people often don't want instructors helping them. They like 'doing their own thing' ! (idiots...)

condotown, these inversion boots you talk about have not caught on in mainstream healthclubs. Because firstly you need to build up your tolerance to hanging upside down. People don't have the patience to do this.

Secondly there may be eye tissue damage from this and clubs don't want sued. Thirdly - it's too hard ! Most gym members don't want to hurt/ push themselves when training. Finally, apart from doing your abs - there isn't much other use for inversion boots. Or can you suggest other exercises ?

condotown: yoga inversion poses are good for spinal decompression, but damned if i can do any of that, even with ropes and props.

what i look for:

good, well maintaned equipment.

credible instructors, with up to date info (not trendy bullshit either). for example, pilates, gyrotonics= good stuff. 'regular' yoga like iyengar--great stuff. trendy, gimmicky yoga like bikram "hot" yoga=irritating, overpriced bullshit.

classes at convenient times. i am a layabout and don't work but my sugar mommy works nine to five so convenient times for most people (like her) mean inconvenient times for instructors--early early mornings, evenings, and even (relatively) late nights.

reasonable cost.

widest range of opening hours (in nyc there were many 24 hour gyms. i havent heard of any here in bkk, labor is cheap it might be a gimmick that sells a few memberships).

i like slurps pudbonium's idea of VR cardio exercise, like the mountain bike thing, or **** even just a playstation on the stair climber. have never seen it done.

i like slurps pudbonium's idea of VR cardio exercise, like the mountain bike thing, or sh*t even just a playstation on the stair climber. have never seen it done.

I mentioned it at my gym ......but sadly there seems to be a serious case of braun over brain ammoungst the managment ....

Richard Branson....if you are reading....please hook me up......finding out there were no active virgins at your gyms was heartbreaking enough.....must I really stare at middle aged crones in tights while I exercise ?

hmmmm there's a startup in there somewhere.

trendy gyms like crunch (nyc) would be early adopters and could beta there.

it might take a while to work the bugs out.

but **** i think i'd work out if the treadmill turned me into the flash and i could run like a cheetah and beat the snot of out evildoers, or play imaginary pro football (and yeah you british twats i mean soccer).

the treadmill would have to be pretty sophisticated but a vr workout would be the **** coz it would be fun and could be designed to give an intense, balance, and functional strength (as opposed to isolating a muslce or two) workout and still work enough cardio in there. workout would be intense and maximum effort coz there would be game-goals to achieve every workout.

maybe wer're not there as far as integrating all that tech but it would be a great idea for a startup, if anyone wants me to write treatments for the game modules i'm available for hire (hint hint).

A clean and well maintained pool.

Towels should be provided without fee. If there is or is not a fee, management should not encourage staff to solicit for tips (I used to be a member of a health club in NYC. Pissed me off having to "tip" a dollar for a towel).

Club should be in one building on consecutive floors with the ability to use stairs or internal elevators/escalators.