100 KG CLUB

dumper

I love lifting weights. I've worked in a few different gyms. The gym I work in just now are starting a '100 kg club'. (It's not a hardcore gym. More a 'health club'.)

If you can bench press 100 kg you can put your name on a notice board with how many reps you've done. If you can do more than this weight you write it down with how many reps you managed.

At another gym I used to work in, in Glasgow. we used to say if you can rep 100kg for 5 reps - you are a bodybuilder. Which I thought was quite a good benchmark. Although you could probably argue that deadlifts are a more realistic indication of overall strength.

Anyway, I'm wondering who on TF can benchpress 100kg or more ? If you can - then add your name here ! Who is in the TF 100kg club ?? :wink:

Never done a lass that big :D ..would two 50kg chicks count?

Joking aside Dumper..which Gym in Pattaya are you using.?

I train a fair bit, usually I go to Universe on Sukhumwit Rd...It was better b4 when it was on the beach cos I could go for a run first...Keep thinking about using Tony's but think its full of gays and I don't really want to help buy Tony another bloody Ferrari. :roll:

:D MikeAussieGuy, ha ha, very good mate.

phos4, matey I'm impressed with your lifting. Especially considering your bodyweight - repping 120kg is great. What is your max press ? I'm guessing you could be good for a lot more. Maybe 150kg for one rep ?

I weigh just under 80kg (I'm a short guy) and I'm good for eight reps everytime with 100kg, can get 3 - 5 with 110kg (on a good day :lol: ) for me 120kg is a struggle just now but I'll get there !

PattayaDaz, I'm in Scotland just now. I remember Universe Gym from Beach Road. It was a great gym. I never met Shane Stretton but I've heard he's a really nice guy. On my next Pattaya long stay I'll defo check out the new gym. I've seen the website and it looks cool.

My mates who stay in Pattaya went to Tonys after Universe moved to Sukhumwit Rd. There are two Tonys gyms. They got to the one with the Muay Thai training area. I'll probably go there with them.

I also used the gym at the A1 Crusie Ship Hotel on soi 2/3. There are no free weights. But its really good for CV training. New Concept 2 rowers, bikes, treadmills and it's fairly quiet. That was 2000 baht for 10 visits. You can use the pool at the hotel and make a day of it there if you want to. Hotel gyms are always overpriced, I only used that place as Universe when it was down Beach Road was too hot for me to do CV training. This place had air-con.

CMG_UK, well you could argue that you have lifted the same amount of weight ! :lol:

zammo2 - I'll try that after my next session ! Get a laugh down the gym anyway. :wink:

WHISKERS - chock dee pal. 8)

Anyone else good for a 100kg bench press ?

Hi Whitepearl,

So far on our TF 100kg board. phos4 is leading the way with his 120kg press for 8-12 reps. Although we are still waiting to hear his max press.

(I'm still battling with 110kg for 3 -5 ... :D )

You look like you've seen the inside of a gym :lol: what are you pressing big chap ? Are you a contender or a new champ ?

Cheers

To be honest it has been a few years since I did flat bench-press.

On the inclined I used to exercise with 140 kg x 6-10 reps (back in the days, when I was young and in shape :cry: )

Now (see my photo) I'm "respectively speaking" out of shape so 100 kg x 6 is already a nice performance.

I don't like to lift heavy or trying max reps. Just scared of enjuries... and my ego doen't need it. In fact, I would love it if I could keep my body by lifting 5 kg or even not having to exercise at all :mrgreen:

• 7 months later...

Slightly off topic, but you guys seem well experienced. I was just wondering how fast muscles will deteriate, or lose mass/size/strength WITHOUT training?

I press around 80kg for 12 reps with my weight of 74Kg/180cm. I was thinking about taking a month off ALL training (weights and cv) to let my body relax and just to generally take a break. Good idea or not?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yugioh, thanks for resurecting this old thread ! :D

Sorry to hear about your rotator cuff problems. Repping 130kg for 5 is impressive. Thats great lifting. 8) I'm chasing 130kg for 1 Rep just now. My PB is at 125 kg for one. I weighed 75kg then, bit heavier now.

I've had some rotator cuff problems myself. I think taking the bar out of the rack myself when benching heavy has caused this over time. As the bar is slightly behind you and you have to raise your shoulders up to unrack the bar.

Is the rotator cuff problem mainly under your front delt ?

Now I always get a spotter to help take the bar out of the rack then do the lifts myself. I read that it is bad psycholgically as well to unrack the bar yourself as the weight is marginally behind you and seems heavier than when doing the lift.

It must seem little consolation to you as you have gone heavy but would lighter weights with higher reps not appeal to you ? Not so much power lifting but endurance training. Lighter weights doing drop sets, pyramid sets and forced reps can still give you a good pump.

Condotown - 100kg = 225lbs !

Yamahacrasher - I work in a gym in Scotland. I can tell you that not many people at all can press their bodyweight. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at the percentages. IMHO no one (or very very few people) could walk in off the streets and press their bodyweight. I'd say it is a sign of a serious trainer. Of course at 'hardcore' gyms which are full of serious trainers then yes - they could all press bodyweight and more.

Matthew, it's a good idea to periodise your training. It's not good to lift heavy all the time. It won't hurt to give your body and joints a break and chill for a month. Just don't do it too often ! lol

A month off training would I'm guessing, depending on the individual. Take maybe a similar amount of time to get back to where you were... It's hard to say really. It depends on a lot of factors - genetics, how long you've been training, what you do on your month off ! etc. With the best will in the world we will all be too busy or injured from time to time. It happens. Just take it easy in the first few weeks getting back into it and you should be OK. Good lifting anyway mate.

Cheers :wink:

those boys are talking very serious lifting...thanks for the link

You're welcome mate. Glad you found it of interest. The t-nation.com website is a real favourite of mine. Some great information in there.

Another good article about benching (or any other power lifting event such as deadlifting or squats) is the so called 'Soviet Peaking Cycle'. By Dr Verkoshansky...

Link here - http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459265

For me this has been a programme I have been able to use on an ongoing basis as it is all based on what your one rep max is. Then gradually increasing the % of weight you lift. Untill you lift 105% - or a new one rep max over a six week cycle. Those Russians sure aren't scared of over training ! :lol:

Enjoy t-nation, it's a great site.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the good old days of putting up 130kg, or 110kg+ with dumbbells during college :)

Now I can do 100kg 1-2 times but i am currently running my ass off getting leaner:) 10-14km a day.

Now if u wanna be strong, its not really the same type of training as bodybuilding. If you notice a powerlifter at 120kg looks much different then a bodybuilder at 120kg, but for most people mix it up, most guys want strength but they wanna "look" strong too . :)

• 3 weeks later...

patrickbseattle,

:D Thats some pressing with dumbells. 130kg - 110 kg, thats really impressive pal.

I agree that it is completely different training for someone who wants strength as opposed to a body builder. Bench press, deadlifts, squats = power and strength IMHO.

Bodybuilding is perhaps what you might call 'non functional' training, isolating each muscle group for maximum development. Yet in a way that does not necessarily translate to overall strength.

Sure a heavyweight powerlifer compared to a bodybuilder is going to look maybe fat. Not have the overall development. BUT.. If you look at powerlifters in a certain weight class. They will look like athletes. They might not train muscles that arent involved in their lifts. As this would increase their overall weight and not benefit them in their sport. But they still look fit and strong !

I agree 100% its all about mixing it up. Balance.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup Kg per Kg, powerlifters are most likely stronger, not saying bodybuilders are not strong, they are. lol

Most men that lift do so for appearance reasons first, and then performance, maybe they play a sport? enjoy getting stronger, etc.

As far as appearance, bodybuilding is great, generally speaking its slightly safer too, because bodybuilders usually use higher reps and no momentum in lifting(they want to feel "the pump" of the contracted muscles).

For soccer, basketball, muay thai, etc Its best to use abit of both, and for sure use some of the big powerlifting lifts(which bodybuilders do also) The squat for your legs, the bench press and the power clean or something similar.

This site below has alot of good info but they do sell **** too so when they hype a certain product, well you can guess why:)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/