Food Supplements

Whitepearl

What kind of Food Supplements do you currently buy/use?

If money was not a factor, what products/brands would you like to get?

What you believe their benefits are?

(I am considering a new business for Thailand that involves Food Supplements. So every additional feedback I can put in this project-study is highly welcomed, Thank You :wink: )

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a variety of whey protein supplements.

Cost is an issue for me, so I watch Holland & Barrett shops in the UK. When they have a sale I move in for the kill and get stocked up to see me through to their next sale.

I take Protoplex - 42g protein and 25g carbohydrates just now. Two or three times a day. Other times I take their Body Fortress brand, which has no carbs just protein in it.

If money was not an issue I'd buy EAS Myoplex sachets. As they seem to have a good well balanced mix of good quality proteins.

Perceived benefits - lean muscle gain, strength gains, help protect against injuries by supplying the muscle with nutrients to repair and recover.

Here's a question for you. I've seen protein powders on sale in Thailand and they seem fairly expensive.I read (an interview with Shane Stretton on t-nation.com who says) that protein powders are technically illegal in Thailand.

Is that the case ? Hey I've seen them on sale but This is Thailand... :D

I use a variety of whey protein supplements.

Cost is an issue for me, so I watch Holland & Barrett shops in the UK. When they have a sale I move in for the kill and get stocked up to see me through to their next sale.

I take Protoplex - 42g protein and 25g carbohydrates just now. Two or three times a day. Other times I take their Body Fortress brand, which has no carbs just protein in it.

If money was not an issue I'd buy EAS Myoplex sachets. As they seem to have a good well balanced mix of good quality proteins.

Perceived benefits - lean muscle gain, strength gains, help protect against injuries by supplying the muscle with nutrients to repair and recover.

This is my business here in Thailand. I'm not going to mention the brand (to avoid getting in dutch with the TF management) but my product is widely available all over Thailand, including GNC, CWE, etc.

I use my own product which is a 100% whey protein isolate product made with cross-flow microfiltration. This preserves the branch chain amino acids and protein microfractions, which are destroyed by ion-exchanged whey protein concentrates. Whey protein concentrates typically have a minimum of 3% lactose (which bothers a lot of people) and 6% or more fat.

Pure whey protein isolate is virtually fat and lactose free. The products that I manufacture have 110 calories per serving, 32 grams of protein and only 1.5 grams of carbohydrates.

Myoplex is a decent product compared to many other proteins on the market, but as a true meal replacement it's just average because it has a lousy carbohydrate and fat profile (EAS uses maltodextrin and safflower oil instead of a better carb source and an Omega 6 fatty acid). Myoplex also uses a combination of whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, casein and milk protein.

I use about 150 grams per day when I'm training and 60 grams when I'm not, plus about 10 grams of glutamine every day.

Here's a question for you. I've seen protein powders on sale in Thailand and they seem fairly expensive.I read (an interview with Shane Stretton on t-nation.com who says) that protein powders are technically illegal in Thailand.

Is that the case ? Hey I've seen them on sale but This is Thailand... :D

No, protein powders are not illegal. However, many protein products as well as other nutraceuticals are sold illegally, meaning that they haven't been registered with the Thai FDA and do not bear the Thai FDA registration number.

All products sold in GNC and California Wow are registered and legal, but many of the smaller gyms sell small amounts of smuggled (and thus, illegal) product.

Protein powders that are legal are more expensive here because of import duties... including ones that are manufactured here (like my products) because we pay all duties and taxes, which adds to the cost.

Myoplex is ok, it all depends what you are looking for (taste, availability, quality, budget?).

If you seek the ultimate quality Pro/Carb mix, you can mix a good Whey Protein (maybe lactose-free, with enzymes,?) with Maltodextrin Powder; but the taste might not be so delicious as already finished products.

Personally my priority is life-quality, so I don?t take Carbs as supplement, prefer to eat them as ?real food?. I just supplement my Protein intake using Whey products (from Dymatize, Next Nutrition, EAS? and other U.S. Companies. Being in the business I get lots of samples to test) and Amino Acids.

To Jeff: will reply your message soon (limit: 5 message/day).

I have not yet tried the local manufactured/packed Whey (seen it at California WOW)? curious to see how it is.

If you seek the ultimate quality Pro/Carb mix, you can mix a good Whey Protein (maybe lactose-free, with enzymes,?) with Maltodextrin Powder; but the taste might not be so delicious as already finished products.

Suggest you try using oatmeal or oatpowder instead of maltodextrin. Nutrition companies use maltodextrin because it's really cheap but it's not the optimum carb source. It's mainly used in weight gainers for skinny guys who just can't put on weight but it's not good Glycemic Index wise.

Mixing a 100% isolate powder directly into oatmeal and then microwaving is the ideal protein/carb mix - and what I have for breakfast every morning.

In general I agree that supplementing carbohydrates is silly, but the point is a meal replacement should be protein/fat/carbs - not just a vitamin fortified protein powder!

Hmm, ok, this touches a question i have been wondering on another forum.

Food supplements and things like that (totally legal stuff I speak here), are fairly expensive here in Finland. So I asked about what is the price range in Thailand and I got reply that for example proteins are even more expensive in TH than Finland. I was also interested in fat burning aids etc...

So, what ever the case, where can you look and buy these things in BKK?

Oh, and damn sure I want to be about that they don't contain anything illegal to import back to Finland, so are there english ingredient lists (available) in products you can buy in TH?

sunsnow

mustard and ketchup....
Cheese, Butter and Salsa sauce.

These replies r good. U don't need any supplements. If u eat enough fresh vegetables and fruit u'll stay healthy. :lol:

1 footnote: drink draft beer. :lol:

Thaibel health Guru :idea: I'm off for supplement :D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to recommend Pro-arginine

ProArgi-9 Mixed Berry Flavor uses an all-natural sweetening system to deliver its delicious fruity taste. Like regular ProArgi-9, it contains 5,000 mg (5 grams) of elemental pharmaceutical grade L-arginine.

Benefits :

* Enhances and supports muscle mass.

* May aid in decreasing body fat.

* Supports healthy blood sugar levels.

* Helps boost energy and is rejuvenative.

* Supports healthy sexual performance.

You can visit at http://www.synergyworldwide.com/SynergyCorp/Content.aspx?PageID=1356&CatalogItemID=244&OrderType=2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Protein powder is crazy expensive in BKK.I went looking for some and any high quality whey was 900+baht for .5 kg if I remember.Now, when I come to BKK, I bring a suitcase full of ON gold, not just for myself, now my gf begs me for it cuz she loses weight using it while still maintaing her shape.I can get a 5kg bag of it here for 2500 bht.

was using Flex brand, seems to be the big one in Thailand at the moment, was paying 1000 baht for 1kg, moved onto a more expensive brand that my Gym imports called Musashi, 1900 per kilo but tastes great.

I stick to my quaker oats for Carbs though, no need to supplement those!

was using Flex brand, seems to be the big one in Thailand at the moment, was paying 1000 baht for 1kg, moved onto a more expensive brand that my Gym imports called Musashi, 1900 per kilo but tastes great.

Musashi is fine (talking about their Whey powder, not their RTD-products).

There are actually a few good brands in Australia, but their marketing is lacking compared to USA, that's why we are not familiar with them.

My favourite is Syntrax's Nectar line (USA), uncommon flavours and very easy to digest (that's a plus since I now drink 4 shakes/day). Guess you wont see Syntrax's in BKK, since they're already high-priced for the US-market.

Alcohol is not so bad a supplement, and if price doesn't matter you can give me a bottle of Dom Perignon then. 1994 is not too bad.

YESSSSS!!! that goes great with sushi. although you can fit in some of the earlier "khai dao". 2001 was the best year for eggs.