Thai drivers

FalangJaiDee

Question

In the whole time I have been driving in Thailand NO one has ever given way to me. In three years, absolutely no Thai has ever let me out of a crossing or allowed me to go first.

The only way to deal with this is to to push in myself, and drive like an a**hole, in short to behave in a similar manner. My question though, is this.. Given politeness seems to be such a big part of Thai society why is it when put behind the wheel of a car or sat on a motorbike do Thais become so unpolite? :P

16 answers to this question

I actually ride a bike here.. the quickest way to get about :P

I just dont understand how come Thai drivers are so unpolite, when generally Thais are a polite bunch.. Okay there are a**hole drivers in every country, but I regularly remember people generously giving way in London.. Here not once has anyone 'willingly' given way to me.. :?

So whats going on?

You need to understand Thai society to understand their driving style. Thai live in a network of people I would like to compare to an onion. (no, not the smell!, the LAYERS!).

The innert most layer is the family, then the relatives, the best friends, the friends etc etc.

The closer you are to the inner circle, the more friendly people are to you.

When meetig someone on the road, the out-most layers meet and no friendly behaviour is applied. But should you happen to get out of the car and meet the driver, immediately the usual Thai friendliness will prevail. But when car meets car, that's the out-most layer, where shelfishness is the only way to get anywhere.

There is nothing personal against you when they block you, you kind of "don't exist".

On the other hand, if you squeeze in, they will rarely get angry at you, as you can see in many other big cities, not even the bus drivers.

As a fellow biker, I'll give you some advice.

This is somehting I am not proud of at all. But I did it.

A kid in an Acura RSX passed me on a narrow highway.... but did it as a another car was heading in his direction. On a curve...

I kept my cool and managed not to lowside or swerve off the road. That's all i remember.

Then I remember having a ******* panic attack/adrenaline rush/flip out. I really had a brush with death and was made quite aware of my mortality.

i continued up to the city the road let up to. I noticed his car parked in a museum parking lot. I dismounted the bike, got my socket wrench and proceded to dent the ever living **** out of his door with boot. Then I smashed his side mirror and the plastic casing with my wrench. The car still had temp tags on it.

I never heard anything about it. Perhaps karma will be killer, or perhaps the fucker really deserved it. HOORAY FOR BEING AN IDIOT.

... Given politeness seems to be such a big part of Thai society why is it when put behind the wheel of a car or sat on a motorbike do Thais become so unpolite?

... the fact that "politness" is such an issue means it is basically absent. Most Thais are not. They try but most fail ...

Thai live in a network of people I would like to compare to an onion. (no, not the smell!, the LAYERS!).

The innert most layer is the family, then the relatives, the best friends, the friends etc etc.

The closer you are to the inner circle, the more friendly people are to you.

... right, which proves my previous statement. In whatever direction you look, Thai (asian in general) society is hierarchy. You bow for what is "up", you kick on what is "down". Everything -politness, respect, etc ...- is applied in function of the position where you are in the hierarchy.

Foreigners are not (Never!!) in this heirarchy. Whatever kind of attention they get, it is a favour. This is what most Thais think "politeness" is.

A good measure of how friendly you really are is not how you treat your close friends, but how you treat strangers. Road manners are one thing, and this extends also to not stopping for elderly or parents with small children trying to cross a road on a pedestrian crossing. I guess it's simple a cultural norm, but through the eyes of someone from a society where one is conditioned to be courteous in these situations, this is is simply rude selfishness. Slamming doors in peoples faces is another symptom.

I agree the only way to get where your going is to drive as they do...

Another point... Why doesnt anyone hold the door open for you in this country..?

I mean, its not like it costs anything.. The amount of times I had a door slam in my face..

Of course now I am fully trained and take the upmost pleasure in giving em a dose of their own medicine.

Am I getting jaded?

:?

My question though, is this.. Given politeness seems to be such a big part of Thai society why is it when put behind the wheel of a car or sat on a motorbike do Thais become so unpolite? :P

..:: They are in hurry... :roll:

In a hurry.. interesting thought, and directly opposite of the way Thais walk. Have you ever walked down the street with a Thai girl? Its like taking a cat for a walk :P

Okay there are a**hole drivers in every country, but I regularly remember people generously giving way in London..

?????? What kind of tank were you driving?

Another bike tip, always where boots and a black visor, that way when they cut you up you just kick the side panel of their door in and stare at them, much more satisfying than attacking a defenseless empty car, note very small eligible number plate helps.

Since when do thai ppl give way for anyone anywhere not just on the streets. Its not in our culture. Most thais dont hold the doors for u. In france people on escalator sometimes look back to see if anyones in a hurry, often they line up on one side of the escalator in case someone wanna pass thru..never happen in thailand. Thais dont wait for the people to get out of the trains before walking in. Thais dont say thank you and sorry enough. We havent developed big cities manners but i reckon we start today!! U westerners should try to bring some of these manners into thai society..start with ur friends!!