Beerlao

CMG_UK

As there is not a Food and Drink section within the forums (fora), Health and Fitness seems the most logical alternative (well logical to someone who has spent the evening drinking Beerlao.

Question: Does anyone know where you can buy Beerlao to take home in BKK?

I found it surprisingly fresh, light and pleasant.

And if that question alone does not justify a new forum topic - then do say what tipple does it for you....

Beer is always worth a topic. :wink:

Well, IMO Beer lao is better than Singha. Thoo I drink Singha when I'm in Thailand to support the local industry 8) . And I don't want to pay more for a beer, not that I'm stingy :P , for overrated beers as Carlsberg and Heineken.

There's another beer in Asia that can coop with every good European or American pils, San Miguel in the Philippines and it's cheap too. :roll:

There's another beer in Asia that can coop with every good European or American pils, San Miguel in the Philippines and it's cheap too. :roll:

I would wholeheartedly agree with you there - Philippine San Miguel is a very, very pleasant and refreshing drink, and it crossed my mind as I was enjoying my Beerlao this evening. But I'm still looking for a retail source for my Laotian alternative...

Yep though one has to remember that most of the big beers do have European brewing origins.SanMig has Spanish roots,Bintang-Dutch,Singha -German(i think),Tsingtao-German etc etc.Pretty well all ingredients are imported too.Though one ingredient that seems to be Asian inspired is rice.Somehow rice imho gives beer a much smoother taste.Budweiser uses rice in its brewing process....not sure where that particular bit of inspiration came from though(CEO fact finding biz trip to nana/cowboy/patpong?...all in the line of duty eh :wink: )

Yep though one has to remember that most of the big beers do have European brewing origins.SanMig has Spanish roots,Bintang-Dutch,Singha -German(i think),Tsingtao-German etc etc.Pretty well all ingredients are imported too.Though one ingredient that seems to be Asian inspired is rice.Somehow rice imho gives beer a much smoother taste.Budweiser uses rice in its brewing process....not sure where that particular bit of inspiration came from though(CEO fact finding biz trip to nana/cowboy/patpong?...all in the line of duty eh :wink: )

Welll, a lot of European brewers put a small amount of rice in their beer. It stabilisizes the beer and it prevents that the yellow color turns a bit blur when it's served a little bit cold.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, IMO Beer lao is better than Singha. Thoo I drink Singha when I'm in Thailand to support the local industry 8) . And I don't want to pay more for a beer, not that I'm stingy :P , for overrated beers as Carlsberg and Heineken.

I've heard only good things about Beerlao...

But I have to say, if it's true that Singha has German roots, then Thaibel, you'd be doing just as much of a service to local industry if you drank Heineken. The bottles you get here contain beer that's brewed here. It also typically costs the same as Singha.

I like the two equally, so I tend to mix it up.

Beer Lao and Big Mango in Nana Placa (Soi 4).

Beer Lao, is tasty, "light", a bit sweet and some of this taste difference in Thailand is contributed to the lower amount of alcohol in the beer in question, around 5% compared to 6+% in Singha and Chang.

Yes, I have understood that you can buy thru Big Mango this tasty Beer Lao to take home. Something I read from Stickman...I guess. Big Mango is to my understanding only place (I somehow still remember reading there IS a second place to get Beer Lao too) to buy Beer Lao in BKK? But email the staff is my recommendation.

Check http://www.bigmangobar.com/

Oh well, checked the site myself now too after long time. Seems that they have a new profile now..."The Big Mango Girls" :-( Bah

UPDATE: I stand corrected, by myself. :) Posted a link where it says Beer Lao available already at 80 places...

I've heard only good things about Beerlao...

But I have to say, if it's true that Singha has German roots, then Thaibel, you'd be doing just as much of a service to local industry if you drank Heineken. The bottles you get here contain beer that's brewed here. It also typically costs the same as Singha.

I like the two equally, so I tend to mix it up.

No, I think u r wrong. Heineken is maybe made in Asia, but the benefits always goes to the Dutch multinational. While Singha is a local beer brewed by a local brewery in the hands of Thai, maybe the concept is German (I don't know). The only thing I know is that Imbev (the Belgian brewery) has a contract with Singha for taking care for the distribution of Singha throughout Thailand (Klosters is part of imbev as well). The price for a pils (Stella Artois, Jupiler) here in Belgium is between ? 1,50 to ? 2 (between 70 to 95 Bath). I'm always wondering why beer is so expensive in Thailand.

By the way Heineken sucks, it's pee beer. :lol: