Want to travel to Jiuzhaigou, China ... need help

sirakarn

I want to visit Jiuzhaigou, China, but have difficult time in finding option. I'm planing to meet my friend who will attend a conference in China around Sept 15th. Most of the tour from Thailand to Jiuzhaigou is in October (color change season).

Have you been to Jiuzhaigou? Can you give me a suggestion on how I should plan my trip? Should I join a guided tour (coz I speak no Chinese and for transportation purpose)? I have contacted some travelling agencies in Thailand, mostly they offer a group tour in October with a local tour guide who can speak Thai.

Should I go to Jiuzhaigou? or should I go to other city that I can do a self guided tour (please recommend a city)? BTW, I am not much into a city tour.

:? Please help!

A lot depends on how confident u are and how much travel u have done before. Personally I wouldn't go near a guided tour but I have travelled everywhere, I know how to do it and i like my privacy. If the objective is to meet ur friend and the tours are all in October, I guess u aren't taking a tour. So some pointers

1) research getting a visa. will be a lot of paperwork and will take time

2) search some online agencies for flights and hotels and price compare with tours

3) if a tour is cheaper take it...u don't have to jolin in and they do take care of the boring stuff like transportation.

4) join a couple of forums on travel in China...I am sure there are many, and search for some blogs too.

5) get someone to write for u, in Chinese, name and address of ur hotel to give a taxi driver.

6) another advantage of a tour is that I think u are travelling alone which is not ideal for a woman.

7) i don't know the city u are going to but if u get a chance, go to Shanghai...fastest growing city in the world, and a world in itself within China

8) Take some Chinese currency with u but also take some US dollars.

9) make sure u got a great camera ;)

Thanks anenglishman for great tips. I'll check with the tour first and see how can they accomadate my needs. It's a peak season and I know that it'll be difficult for me to get everything right by myself.

More recommendation/comments are welcome.

-I'll start looking for tips on travel blogs! :)