american visa

paddy26

i am supposed to be going to america next year. i was filling out the visa application form and it asked have i ever been arrested or convicted. 8 yrs ago was arrested. typical stupid kid :( does anyone know how seriously they take it.

it say if yes it may be required to attend any interview. has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you go?

p.s. i know i cant spell

i am supposed to be going to america next year. i was filling out the visa application form and it asked have i ever been arrested or convicted. 8 yrs ago was arrested. typical stupid kid :( does anyone know how seriously they take it.

it say if yes it may be required to attend any interview. has anyone been in a similar situation and how did you go?

p.s. i know i cant spell

I don?t think they care about whether you have been arrested or convicted or not.

I think if you have been arrested they would be interested in what it was.

Better tell the truth. I do think you?re records disappear after a certain time has elapsed.

If it?s something serious then they would probably deny you entry.

So tell us what did you do?

Did you rob a bank, charged with sex offenses!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don?t be shy :oops:

does anyone know how seriously they take it.

haha... taking "serious" is an understatement.

i was arrested for possesion of an illegal substance. only possesion not supply. like i said just a stupid kid

if you were American, you could run for president, but now you're considered a criminal...

:roll: i was arrested for possesion of an illegal substance. only possesion not supply. like i said just a stupid kid :roll:

btw it was crystal meth b4 anyone asks that one (yaa baa)

that was then and this is now

I know you're records disappear after ten years in Australia.

I don't think you got anything to worry about.

You still only got two choices tell the truth or lie.

I can?t see them not giving you a visa for that, but I?m no expert :-)

gee thanks thats very re assuring. so you think i have no chance of getting it? :?

It will all depend on how bad your crime was, you were open and honest and that is definately the best policy.

If there si somethig else in your application they are not happy about they could use this as an excuse.

But id all other issues are without complication i really doubt you have a problem.

i had a mis-demeanor weapons conviction here in the states. Weapon I was busted with was an expandable baton. This happened back in 1994. After the patriot act was passed, I was then classified as a terrorist risk to the country because of that conviction, and the government took me out of my job of 20 years with united airlines.

Just something to think about when you fill out your application.

Also, Bush's big saying now is "If you buy or sell drugs, then you are supporting terrorism"

Good Luck

p.s. i know i cant spell

I just got a visa for 10 years last Friday. They ask you to come for an interview regardless of whether or not you answer yes to those questions. I suppose that if you answer yes, they will want you to provide details about why, when etc etc.

The regulations say that while answering yes does not immediately diqualify you for a visa, your background will be scrutinized closer than usual. They are pretty thorough with normal interviews anyway. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were arrested for something serious like drug posession/trafficking, weapons, assault etc etc.

p.s. i know i cant spell

I just got a visa for 10 years last Friday. They ask you to come for an interview regardless of whether or not you answer yes to those questions. I suppose that if you answer yes, they will want you to provide details about why, when etc etc.

The regulations say that while answering yes does not immediately diqualify you for a visa, your background will be scrutinized closer than usual. They are pretty thorough with normal interviews anyway. I wouldn't worry about it unless you were arrested for something serious like drug posession/trafficking, weapons, assault etc etc.

Last time I checked crystal meth was a drug and posession of an illegal substance would class as drug posession perhaps?

Good advice above.... However, lie through your teeth.

That is the advice given to me by a friend in the States who has offered me some work there, I too have an ahem conviction and it is not dissimilar to one of the above. Given the present fuckwit in charge over there chances are you will get knocked back so why take the chance?

Latest news is if you have a vowel in your name then chances are your a terrorist. Your best bet is to have something solid to go to and a solid reason for going.

Generally the 'statute of limitations' is seven years so you should be okay....

Any suspision of terrorism ie: weapons or money laundering and they tend to hang onto your record....

I was four years into a fire arms charge (pulled a gun on a burglar who came to the house and put a nice big hole in his hip) and managed to talk my way around it at the interview...

Be straight up with them and you shouldn't have a problem......

i like most west europeans have visa waivers.yet you still get some dumb ass mexican who can barely speak english at immigration asking pointless questions ....as if i'm likely to run off and pick beans in new mexico for the rest of my life.the consequence are friggin long US immigration queues .They should install an EEC/Swiss only booth or 2 to separate Europeans from shifty 3rd world travellers.Now that would be progress :wink:

***That was a plee on behalf of The association of P+ssed off Trans atlantic Travellers. :D ***

Lying is probably not a good idea. It will be much worse for you if they catch you in a lie than if you just answered their questions with facts. If you say no while their records say yes, you've just proved that you aren't trustworthy and shouldn't be let in just in case you happen to be lying about not having an evil streak too.

gee thanks thats very re assuring. so you think i have no chance of getting it? :?

It will all depend on how bad your crime was, you were open and honest and that is definately the best policy.

If there si somethig else in your application they are not happy about they could use this as an excuse.

But id all other issues are without complication i really doubt you have a problem.

Asking an immigration lawyer maybe a prudent start.If they reckon the offence is significant(meth is after all a grade A drug so it's a possibility) he/she would suggest suitable remedies/techniques to get the visa.A lot of info on this kind of stuff is all over the net.So chances are you will find out fairly quickly anyway where your situation stands.

you have to tell the truth because they check right back to day dot! i am bodyguard to angelina jolie and i was always working in the states and i never declared previous conviction for assault and all was ok until after 9/11 then they arrested me at the airport while i was with angelina and said a conviction had come up on the computer from 18 years ago! i am now not allowed into the states even after her and tom cruise had written on my behalf! they call it moral turptitude! so i should have been honest from day one! i am about to try again!

Lying is probably not a good idea. It will be much worse for you if they catch you in a lie than if you just answered their questions with facts. If you say no while their records say yes, you've just proved that you aren't trustworthy and shouldn't be let in just in case you happen to be lying about not having an evil streak too.

You get sent to Quantanimo bay for lying now?

Shooting a burglar would I have thought been regarded as an act of heroism what with the right to bear arms etc so extenuating circumstances?

I have had long discussions re this subject with a few people in the States as my trade means I can get work there. I was pulled up on a bullshit charge but due to changes in the law in good old blighty it transpired my offense was considered serious the whole thing was a joke.

So the way I look at it is I take the chance that the UK authorities computers are as efficient as the tax mans or I own up, if I own up then they say no, then it's game over right?

So whats the good advice peeps?

p.s. i know i cant spell

Good day Pat,

I think the website attached below will explain many of the things you have been seeking. It outlines the period where criminal convictions are spent (generally 10 yrs if you were an adult from the date of conviction, 5 yrs if you were a juvenile) although you may want to check with the Queensland correctional board about your particular case as to whether it is covered under the Act.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/PLPR/1994/80.html

You should ask the US embassy too about you have to declare on "spent convictions" provided of course that your convictions have been "spent" in Queensland and Australia.

Recently i saw on Richard and Judy a story about an English guy who was married to an American lady with 2 kids, he had a work visa and was fully legal, an honest family man.

However when he was re admitted into the states after a visit to England they asked about previous convictions and he mentioned that he was caught with marijuana in the UK 15 years earlier.

The outcome is that he is not allowed back into America at all to see his kids. He has gone through all appeals and he is fcuked.

So if i was you i would take this on board and see if you can get selective amnesia when speaking to customs.

Recently i saw on Richard and Judy a story about an English guy who was married to an American lady with 2 kids, he had a work visa and was fully legal, an honest family man.

However when he was re admitted into the states after a visit to England they asked about previous convictions and he mentioned that he was caught with marijuana in the UK 15 years earlier.

The outcome is that he is not allowed back into America at all to see his kids. He has gone through all appeals and he is fcuked.

So if i was you i would take this on board and see if you can get selective amnesia when speaking to customs.

I keep hearing the same stories. I have always believed honesty is the best policy but all of this is just overkill and paranoia. Amnesia still sounds as good a bet as any..... better than paralysis anyway.