american visa

paddy26

While Im no expert, I' ve been around American authorites possibly more then many of u here.I worked alongside Canada Customs during their search and siezures in their marine division.American custom agents would drop in when there is some sort of joint investigation going on, so if someone of them were cool enough, we end up talking.Another thing, Ive grown up 15 min from the US border so Ive travelled back 1000's of times and you get to know what flys and what doesnt.

First off, they do not forget any charge or offence.If it shows up on cpix(thats the CDN version, US possibly the same) its basicaly a crim check.There is no statute for how long it goes back.I've seen ppl on cpix where the offense goes back as far as 14 yrs and they still make a decision then.I know for a fact, being CDN, if I have an offense, even assault, they can make me turn back at the border.THe worst offense and I beleive one that red flags more then others, 'cept murder, etc..of course, is a drug offense.For some reason they just dont let those go, US authorities are just hard up for drug offenses, even small possesion of a gram or less of pot.

• 1 month later...

Canada doesn't let people in with a drunk driving conviction. I believe it is a felony in Canada but not in America.

Lots of anti-drug hysteria in America so unfortunately a meth conviction won't look good. Meth is a hot button topic for media sensationalism in recent years.

Shooting a burglar is not a crime in America as long as the gun is legally owned. (If the gun is illegal you will probably still only be charged with a firearms violation and not the actual assault with a deadly weapon.) Americans have an automatic right to self defense in the home. Therefore, immigration probably didn't view it as a "terrible crime" even if your home country did. Know what I mean?

• 3 months later...

old thread but hey why not. It is not all that hard for a visa to the USA it is just a hassel. Former coworkers now live there in Texas had little problems getting it. And as for passports for people from the USA they will take your passport for the most petty of crimes if the judge knows you have one you are screwed. They ripped my passport from me for a year for assult and battery. Took a lot of finess to get it back so I can work overseas again. the AAB was a bar fight and one thing bar fights in Cajun country is not smart no matter who you are