superskater

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The 79 baht cheesburber is nnot bad

I can get a decent one in Pattaya for 40 baht but this is Bangkok

Will I be pestered to buy drinks for girls while I'm eating.

Can I buy it and take it out?

Nana ain't my favorite place at all but I like other places on Soi 4

I want low prices not all you can drink

but I appreciate the info.

I'm always and always will be on a budget

That's why I could pay cash for my BMW and put 4 million baht down on my Japanese condo and pay it off in under 10 years

I don't mind eating at Carrefour or cheap local restaurants at all

I used to have 2 apartments on soi 41 and a serviced apt in Pattaya and was buying a condo. It was necessary for a few months as I was helping out a very sick friend who died later in the year.

But now I have a cheap apt in a Thai area and it doesn't bother me at all.

I enjoy seeing how they live.

I've stayed in so many 5 star hotels around the world and grew up in big fancy houses

I just don't need it or want it write now

I'm in my 12 million baht condo in Tokyo and its much nicer than my 4200 baht apartment in Bangkok but I don't mind my apartment at all of living simply

I spend so little in BKK that I can often make my monthly budget in one or two days

Right now I care about time freedom and no financial pressures at all.

I'd advise all to be on a budget

I saved close to half my income the last 15 years

but only cause I was on a budget

Everyone should have a budget i think

Read the Millionaire next door It's about being on a budget

It worked for my father and uncle and it's been working for me too.

I like Big Mango @ Nana - 60 b beers and a great 79b cheeseburger before 8pm.

superskater:

I favor this deal. Great Beer Lao & cheeseburger, aroy mak mak. Been there couple of times by a recommendation, no hassle, honest food and beer (not much of a choice on menu, but if you need something better than McDonalds and want to have some western protein... :)). NO pushy waitresses in skimpy clothes, at that early time of the day they are not really interested keeping you company 'cause they probably know you are there to eat (I guess so). You can eat on your own peace, maybe watch people flowing into the NEP and wonder the way of the world. Did I mention Beer Lao already? :-D

Try it, a bit like its own world in almost entrance to the Nana, 2nd floor. Can slip in there after 6 pm without being harrassed by all the bar women and slip out as easy. Nice staff, owners seem ok. Pool tables too. Oh, cheeseburger with fries is my choice there,109 baht.

UPDATE:

On relation to other thread on Beer Lao, I checked the website of the place in question: http://www.bigmangobar.com/ and to my disappointment, they have updated the site, graphically to worse AND they have now something called The Big Mango Girls...Hmm, maybe a turn to worse in the atmosphere of the bar, I don't know. But in early July ate there and the experience about the place I told is from those times. Their promotional texts previously focused on football games, food, coctails and friends, emphasising difference to the other Nana Placa places...:-( Maybe in the end those things were not enough, I dunno. Sad if the new web site means also change in the atmosphere.

I daytrade from soi 4 a lot

and play pool at metro bar or ball in hand during my breaks from the market

there are some good restaurants near there but I love cheesburgers like most yanks so I'll definitely give it a try

Dyin to try beer lao too

I've heard Myanmar has a good beer too and I may take my girl to Yangon for a few days after I return from Tokyo.

Thanks for filling me in

Soi 22 inside Washington Square - The Silver Dollar Bar, every Sunday around 1 or 2pm, they serve free food for about an hour or so. Very good home cooked meal. The meal switches from week to week. Could be meatloaf, with vegtables and potato, or hamburger, or spaghetti, etc... They also tend to have lowest prices on drinks of just about any place on Suk.

Also on Saturdays - I forget the bars name, either the Texan or the Lone Star. (just 2 or 3 doors to the right of Silver Dollar). They have a free meal as well. I forget the exact time.

I think Foodland is somewhat cheap for foreign food and the quality is decent. It's a bit crowded and uncomfortable for me.

Also at lots of Thai restaurants you can eat well for 40 to 80 baht so 150 baht is not so cheap to me.

Londoner 2 for 1 on Wednesday is a nice fine. I just ate there before I came to Tokyo and I like the food and the live band.

I'll definitely have to go on Wednesdays in the future

On Tuesday, I sometimes enjoy the mexican buffet at Boubon Street.

I've been going to Silver Dollar for a couple years. I like their Beef Buritto and chili dogs and burgers. I also enjoy drinking cocktails there. I could see how it might put some people off. A lot of the girls there are pretty hardcore and a lot of the customers are old and fat and there for the girls. But most of the customers I've talked to are really nice people and lots of the girls that work their are good people to chat with also. They recently added a big LCD or plasma Tv so its a good place to watcha game also. The owner, Ned, is a friend and a real nice and helpful person. I probably go there twice a month. I never knew about the free food on Sunday. The customers are not young and GQ but I don't care. I'm there for the food and reasonably priced cocktails.

I think the beergarden on Soi 3 has free food on Friday night.

Thanks for the Big Mango menu Simmo. It's pretty cheap for being in the tourist area.

I'll have to visit at happy hour next month.

Instant noodles from 7/11 I rather buy them from a street vendor for 25 or 30 baht but if you're hungry and only have 5 baht, it's good to know I suppose.

I never ate out of convenience stores although so many young working people in Japan do.

I like cheap sit down restaurants with waitresses and AC.

I hope we can get a few more suggestions.

Very close to the Siam Beverly station close to MRT Huay kwan station on Rachadapisek is a great seafood restaurant that is open till about 3am. They have about a 60 or 65 inch TV also. I watched the Zidanne headbutiing exhibition there and ate oysters and friend shrimp at reasonable prices. They have their own fish tanks so everthing is fresh and the service is good too. I think its about 100meters from the Siam Beverly Hotel which is near the Emerald Hotel.

Thanks for the suggestions. keep them coming.

I'm always and always will be on a budget

That's why I could pay cash for my BMW and put 4 million baht down on my Japanese condo and pay it off in under 10 years

I don't mind eating at Carrefour or cheap local restaurants at all

I used to have 2 apartments on soi 41 and a serviced apt in Pattaya and was buying a condo. It was necessary for a few months as I was helping out a very sick friend who died later in the year.

But now I have a cheap apt in a Thai area and it doesn't bother me at all.

I enjoy seeing how they live.

I've stayed in so many 5 star hotels around the world and grew up in big fancy houses

I just don't need it or want it write now

I'm in my 12 million baht condo in Tokyo and its much nicer than my 4200 baht apartment in Bangkok but I don't mind my apartment at all of living simply

I spend so little in BKK that I can often make my monthly budget in one or two days

Right now I care about time freedom and no financial pressures at all.

I'd advise all to be on a budget

I saved close to half my income the last 15 years

but only cause I was on a budget

Everyone should have a budget i think

Read the Millionaire next door It's about being on a budget

It worked for my father and uncle and it's been working for me too.

Whew...good thing you're not a braggart eh?

Like god and Mc'Donalds - cheap food is everywhere. Dunno about the happy hours though...I don't drink all that much.

for princess and people who take potshots at me

when someone in English says

On a budget?

It's ajoke like oh so you have no money

or you can't afford a decent restaurant

I'll set the record straight if someone takes a shot at me

If that invloves givng facts that may look like bragging then so be

90% of the people in the world are not rich or affluent at retirement

because they lacked fiscal discipline or started saving or investing too late

We learn a lot of things in school but how to budget or save money is not one of them

If you don't need to hear it princess that is fine but so many people cannot handle their financial affairs in Thailand

I see so many people wasting hours and hours day after day and then they wonder why they don't have a beter life.

I have a good life becausee I had good role models and sought advice from more successful people than myself

If I tell people to live on a budget, don't pay high interest to a bank, save money and pay cash to avoid monthly payments and then give examples of the benefits of such actions then I feel I am giving constructive advice.

Warren Buffet and Sam waton have done the same thing. So has Bill Gates and Michaael Dell. I used to pay money to attend seminars where I got similar advice or buy books to give me such advice.

If you only see it as bragging then you missed the point or don't need such advice yourself.

I can give someone a dollar but I'd rather show them how to make or save an extra dollar

Oh don't get your panties in a twist - I wasn't taking a dig at you. I'm not inclined to subtlety so if I was having a go at you, there'd be no doubt about it :)

I just found it amusing to read your 'I like to see how they live' - like you were perhaps talking about a bunch of monkeys. You know Jane Goodall seeing how 'they' live, collecting pee and poop and interacting with 'them' - that sort of thing :)

I don't view Thai people as monkeys ever

I'd like to see how they live mans Thai people

normal working class tie people

When I was in Japan I did the same thing, I lived in areas where there were very few foreigners

I don't want to hang out in the tourist ares only and when i relocated to my current neighborhood, I felt much more that I was seeing how Thai people live

How did monkeys get into it?

Cause a Thai women would never refer to Thai people as monkees

As I stated in my profile I'm in Thailand and on TF to gain cultural knowledge

I want to leave Thailand witha knowledge of how the people here think and live.

I can't get a very clear picture of that living on soi 41 and eating at Emporium